Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla map and police radar etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that I think it’s strictly speaking illegal to do in NSW, since the phone is not “secured”. I think that the wireless charging pads can be used to charge the phone but not run GPS. Rule 300 of the NSW Road Rules:

The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless… the phone is functioning as a visual display unit that is being used as a driver’s aid and the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle…
For the purposes of this rule, a mobile phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle only if (a) the mounting is commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose, and (b) the mobile phone is secured in the mounting, and the mounting is affixed to the vehicle, in the manner intended by the manufacturer.

Further down defines using the phone to include looking at anything that is in the phone, so you don’t even have to touch the phone to be using it.

Now, whether or not you’d get caught or charged is another matter entirely. I’m planning on getting something to hold the phone securely & charge at the same time using the MagSafe ring to ensure I don’t fall foul of this rule.

Except that I think it’s strictly speaking illegal to do in NSW, since the phone is not “secured”. I think that the wireless charging pads can be used to charge the phone but not run GPS. Rule 300 of the NSW Road Rules:

The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless… the phone is functioning as a visual display unit that is being used as a driver’s aid and the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle…
For the purposes of this rule, a mobile phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle only if (a) the mounting is commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose, and (b) the mobile phone is secured in the mounting, and the mounting is affixed to the vehicle, in the manner intended by the manufacturer.

Further down defines using the phone to include looking at anything that is in the phone, so you don’t even have to touch the phone to be using it.

Now, whether or not you’d get caught or charged is another matter entirely. I’m planning on getting something to hold the phone securely & charge at the same time using the MagSafe ring to ensure I don’t fall foul of this rule.
Appreciate you sharing this, but I'd argue that the Tesla charging pad complies with both a) and b). The phone is secure, it's not going anywhere unless you flip the car upside down.

Appreciate you sharing this, but I'd argue that the Tesla charging pad complies with both a) and b). The phone is secure, it's not going anywhere unless you flip the car upside down
Fair enough. IANAL, so it's the interpretation of a layman here. I'd say you're right about the phone being "secure", but the term used in the Act is "secured", with a "d".

I put the Phone in one of these for road trips, and load up Waze navigation. Yes it warns you about speed traps etc, but it's also great for potholes and roadkill. Both of which are unfortunately in abundant supply at present.

Note: same product fits 3 and Y

Reactions: m4rtin
Or just don't drive over the speed limit is another option

When I encounter people complaining about government “revenue raising” from traffic fines, I tell them they shouldn’t be wimps who just roll over, lie down and take it. All motorists should rise up together against this and embark on a massive civil obedience campaign to follow all road rules at all times and starve - yes starve - the Government of this money! Yeah!! That’ll teach ‘em, bigtime!!!

I use Waze on the charging mat, I have a 2019 so it's aftermarket (Jeda) and I even upgraded it to have a MagSafe one (since the older one didn't work with the new iPhone ffs). I think it does comply like a holder, but IANAL, and I don't touch it when driving anyway.
For those saying "don't drive over the speed limit" the internet is a better place for your infinite wisdom and lack of hesitation to post such value.
Waze is great for various things other than speed which Tesla maps don't have such as breakdowns, potholes and objects in the road. I would love all this to be integrated into a single UI but I doubt it'll happen.

Reactions: Maximillan
Waze is great for various things other than speed which Tesla maps don't have such as breakdowns, potholes and objects in the road.
Yeah. That and the routing around traffic is very aggressive, which I like. In fact, I turn off the red light and speed camera notifications as they don’t interest me. It’s everything else about Waze that I like, including the very simple interface compared with Apple or Google maps. I’m planning on trying the in built map first but think I’ll end up getting a MagSafe mount off the corner of the big Tesla screen.

Reactions: positiv