TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Market Capitalization Surpasses Ford and GM

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Skotty, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

A huge distraction. Tesla doesn't deserve this evaluation and I am sure it will hit the mid 200s again, before bouncing back.

• Like x 1
  3. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Quality is now perceived as having more value than quantity. That's encouraging...

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

if it make you feel better that's nice but the reality is that it's a specious and meaningless statistic.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon tweeted: "Stormy weather in Shortville..."

Whether the current Tesla market valuation is sensible or insane is a matter of opinion. Either point of view can produce facts to support their position.

But if the Model 3 launch and production ramp goes as planned, Model 3 researvations increase as cars hit the showrooms and the streets, and if Powerpack/Powerwall sales increase dramatically this year, I would favor the "sensible" point of view.

6. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

I tend to agree it doesn't deserve the valuation, and the reason I sold the stock a few days ago (fortunately with a big gain) to buy something with greater short term potential. Clearly, many people are not going to agree with us on this, but then again, they aren't investing my money for me :D I still watch Tesla for an opportunity to buy the stock in the future at a better valuation. It just doesn't smell right that a fairly new car company (still not profitable yet) has a valuation higher than a long time car coming who is actually making money.

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It also may not be true that as of today, 4/4, Tesla's mkt cap is larger than GM's. I pointed out this on the Electrek article's comment section; at least one or two participants on TMC have done the same in various TMC threads.

Just because you read something on the internet...or read it on Bloomberg...or heard it on NPR....

A few more days' market action similar to the past few, however, and there will be no more doubt.

Oh: and this thread rightfully belongs in the Investor Sector....

8. mmd

mmd Active Member

Now that Ford comes first and Tesla is 12th in autonomous driving, what should Ford's future fleet of self driving cars be valued at by Adam Jonas?

Detroit Is Stomping Silicon Valley in the Race to Build Self-Driving Cars