Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla market share in NSW is now 60% of all BEVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
The latest RMS (NSW) registration statistics are out, and the cool thing is we can work out from these stats what Tesla's market share of BEVs has been in New South Wales over time.

The chart is below. The first Teslas appeared in the stats in 4Q 2014 with 65 registered. The 4Q 2017 stats have just been released showing there were 972 Teslas registered in NSW at the end of December, and a total of 1621 BEVs, giving Tesla a market share of almost exactly 60%.

Extrapolating the data also implies the 1000th Tesla was registered in NSW around the 11th January this year.

Tesla's market share growth is almost entirely due to the number of non-Tesla BEVs barely growing over the past 3 years. The number of non-Tesla BEVs has grown only by 162 in that time, from 487 to 649, a rather pathetic average of only 4.5 cars per month.

Does any other motor vehicle registry in Australia publish comparable data that can be used to compile a national BEV or Tesla calculation?

teslamarketshare.png

Does any other motor vehicle registry in Australia publish comparable data that can be used to compile a national BEV or Tesla calculation?View attachment 279298

Wouldn't it be nice if they did. All the state transport departments obviously have that information from registration data, however, it would probably need an FOI to get it.

As all us Australians already know, the federal government is in denial with the only hope of a change coming from my new "bestest fovouritist polly" Josh Frydenburg. For once in his political life a few of his recent mutterings are giving me a glimmer of hope.

Josh Frydenberg - Stand by, Australia, for the electric car revolution is nigh

From Qld Transport they publish by fuel type, region of rego, body type and vehicle type...but don't break by manufacturer that I can see.

As at 30 June 2017 we proudly had 453 pure electric cars on the road, 71 electric motorcycles, and the total in electric was 37,197 comrprised primarily of mobility scooters and road registered golf buggies. At the same time there were 18,180 hybrid petrol, 102 diesel/electic and curiously a single steam powered car.

Total registrations 4,176,159...so pure ICE (diesel/petrol/gas) sits at 97.9 % of all road registered vehicles here.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
It turns out Qld Transport does publish the info we need, but it's in the form of a list of all light vehicles (here: https://data.qld.gov.au/dataset/vehicle-registrations). After running the pivot table on all 4 sublists, Tesla has 342 of the 453 registrations for BEV, or just over 75% share.

And the steam car? Says it's a 1903 J-series Grout Steam Engine, in black with a 2-seat convertible body type.
Grout (automobile) - Wikipedia
Wow!

• Love
Reactions: baillies
The latest RMS (NSW) registration statistics are out, and the cool thing is we can work out from these stats what Tesla's market share of BEVs has been in New South Wales over time.

The chart is below. The first Teslas appeared in the stats in 4Q 2014 with 65 registered.
View attachment 279298
That's strange. I drove a P85 in Sydney on 15 July 2014 (and they were preping another).
IMG_2720.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if they did. All the state transport departments obviously have that information from registration data, however, it would probably need an FOI to get it.
I posted this elsewhere but worth repeating here.

To track the national vehicle fleet in Australia I understand we want data.gov.au to provide access to NEVDIS that includes all assigned VINs used in Australia.

If you agree please visit this link and add a comment support the request to data.gov.au to provide some level of (free) access to the database:

Data Request The National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System (NEVDIS)