Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla market share of BEVs in NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
I will keep this thread updated quarterly with the Tesla market share of BEVs in NSW based on the RMS registration statistics.

The chart is below. The first Teslas appeared in the stats in 4Q 2014 with 65 registered. The 1Q 2018 stats have just been released showing NSW has cracked the 1k mark with 1092 Teslas registered at the end of March and 1819 BEVs in total, giving Tesla a market share of just over 60%, a marginal increase from last quarter (where Tesla was a fraction under 60%).

What is interesting about the most recent quarter is that the number of non-Tesla BEVs has had its highest increase ever since the first Teslas appeared - a total of 727 now in NSW, an increase of 78 in the quarter whereas the previous biggest increase in a quarter was only 25. I suspect this is due the the Renault Zoe becoming available.

And just for fun I looked at how many HFCEVs were registered over the same period. In 4Q 2014 there were 72 registered in NSW and over 3 years later the number has actually gone backwards down to 66. As a percentage of BEVs, it has dropped from 13% to 3.6%. If you ever needed evidence that hydrogen is dead, there it is!

tesla.png

And what a hfcev? Surely there is nothing like that many hydrogen vehicles on public roads in nsw? There is nil infrastructure. Unless it a forklift?
HFCEV = Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle.
As to the numbers, that’s what the RMS says is registered in NSW. There is 1 hydrogen filling station that I know of in NSW and that’s at Hyundai’s HQ in North Ryde and it’s not publicly accessible. That doesn’t mean there aren’t others that are privately owned. The 66 HFCEVs comprise:
  • 40 passenger vehicles
  • 13 off-road vehicles
  • 11 light trucks
  • 1 light plant (whatever that is)
  • 1 heavy plant

How many phevs are there in nsw?
There’s a category called “Electric/Petrol” which I assume since Electric comes first and the data is “motive power by vehicle type” then this is the PHEV category. In which case there are 30,057 in NSW.

Whether this includes non-plug-in hybrids that have electric power trains in them that can actually drive the car albeit for very short distances or low speeds is unclear. I would have thought there’d be way more than 30k conventional hybrids in NSW given 6.5 million registered vehicles overall.

The latest RMS stats are out...

For the first time since Tesla started selling their cars in Australia, their BEV market share in NSW has actually gone backwards. Not by much, mind you (from 60.0% to 59.3%) but that hasn't happened once in the past 14 quarters. 65 Teslas were added to the fleet in Q2, while 68 non-Tesla BEVs were added. Renault Zoe, anyone?

It will be very interesting to see how this changes when (1) the new Nissan LEAF arrives later this year, then (2) Model 3 arrives about 6 months later. We may see some further swings in market share both ways for Tesla.

Here's the updated chart.

Tesla.png

I'd be interested to know what types of BEV's are used for this chart, do they include elec forklifts and
other utility type vehicles, sometimes these have rego to cover TAC liabilities.

Hopefully the increase in non Telsa's is from other manufacturers importing cars for testing ie VW Golf E, Ford Focus
and Hyundai Ionic etc etc

I'd be interested to know what types of BEV's are used for this chart, do they include elec forklifts and
other utility type vehicles, sometimes these have rego to cover TAC liabilities.

Hopefully the increase in non Telsa's is from other manufacturers importing cars for testing ie VW Golf E, Ford Focus
and Hyundai Ionic etc etc

Renault Zoe and the i3 with larger battery, maybe a few Kangoos?

I'd be interested to know what types of BEV's are used for this chart, do they include elec forklifts and other utility type vehicles, sometimes these have rego to cover TAC liabilities.
All the stats are here:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/corporate-publications/statistics/registrationandlicensing/tables/table114_2018q2.html

The breakdown is:

LIGHT VEHICLES
Passenger vehicle: 1620
Off-road vehicles: 11
Motor cycles: 248
Scooters: 7
Light trucks: 30
Light plants (whatever they are): 14
Other vehicles: 2

HEAVY VEHICLES
Buses: 7
Heavy trucks: 8
Prime movers: 2
Heavy plants: 3

TOTAL: 1952

Those RMS stats have a category of Electric/Petrol. that must include simple HEVs like prius because no way are there that many PHEVs in NSW.

so where is PHEVs is it under Electrical or Electric/Petrol?
(i don't know)

Electric/Petrol covers all types of petrol/electric hybrids including PHEVs. I assume it even includes BMW i3 REX although one could argue the i3 REX only has an electric motor as its motive power so therefore should be under the “Electric” category.

The Q3 RMS stats are out...

Tesla's share of BEVs in NSW is back above 60% and in fact at 60.3% it is a new all-time record (by 0.3%).

Another significant milestone - NSW has cracked the 2000 mark, with 2032 BEVs registered. 1225 of these are Teslas. In this quarter, 68 Teslas were added and 12 non-Tesla BEVs, giving Tesla an incremental market share this quarter of 85%.

And in other good news, FCEVs have hit an all-time low since the online stats have been made available - 63.

Here's the updated chart.

Telsa.png

Hi everyone,

Just got my Tesla S this weekend! and would like to get it checked out / serviced. I can't see any evidence of it being serviced before, no log book unless there is an electronic evidence somewhere in the software?

I am based in Perth and reading through the forums I understand there is no official Tesla service center but that there could be unofficial options but can't find a phone number or an address where I could get it checked out?

Also I understand that Tesla does an annual remote service visit to Perth but don't know when this happened last and when is the next scheduled visit? Does anyone know? Would I need to book this just through regular Tesla service channel?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Just got my Tesla S this weekend! and would like to get it checked out / serviced. I can't see any evidence of it being serviced before, no log book unless there is an electronic evidence somewhere in the software?

I am based in Perth and reading through the forums I understand there is no official Tesla service center but that there could be unofficial options but can't find a phone number or an address where I could get it checked out?

Also I understand that Tesla does an annual remote service visit to Perth but don't know when this happened last and when is the next scheduled visit? Does anyone know? Would I need to book this just through regular Tesla service channel?

Thank you

There is a Perth service tech @jman15 , direct message me and I go through the details with you.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and Tension
For those West Aussies new to TMC and having just bought a Tesla or are close to doing so Perth has a small makeshift workshop to take care of vehicles, the Tesla tech is held in high regard over here even though he's often at the mercy of Tesla's sometimes poor communication channels.
WA also has an official owners club- Tesla Owners Club Western Australia, members are more than happy to help out newbies with info on servicing, insurance and charging.

Hi everyone,

Thank you
Congratulations on aquiring an amazing vehicle

My advice is to call the Tesla support number on your main screen.

Then ask Tesla in the USA why there isn't a Tesla service centre in the 4th most populous capital city in Australia.

Might also want to ask them why there isn't a Supercharger in Perth yet.

Our local, one of, Tesla service tech has previously asked us to raise all concerns this way a) to use the "chain of command" and b) lighten his already high workload since he is an essentially a one-man-show.

C'mon Tesla, show Perth some of that good 'ol Tesla lovin'