Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Market Share - Registrations in DFW Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To prevent hijacking a separate thread, I thought I would post these results for those just curious.

For basis: the DFW area is defined as the following counties: Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Parker, Johnson, Ellis, Rockwall, Hunt, Hood, Palo Pinto, Kaufman, Wise, Somervell, Navarro, and Erath.

Data as of Feb 2017:

Tesla Model S owns the lion's share of registration of vehicles models for all plug-ins with 37% at 1,347 registered. Dallas County has the most with 53% of all model s's registered in that county alone (717). The other top registrations are: Tarrant (199), Collin (240), and Denton (149).

Other minor registrations: Parker (9), Johnson (4), Ellis (7), Rockwall (14), Hood (3), Palo Pinto (1), Kaufman (2), Wise (1), and Navarro (1).

Random facts: the Chevy Volt has the second largest registration with 769 (21%). Also there are only 7 registered Roadsters in the entire DFW area. Oddly, the report doesn't have Model X's tracked (I don't know if that's because they didn't pull that model or if it was lumped with the Model S - I didn't gather this data).

Other plug-in models: Nissan Leaf: 18%, Mitsubishi i-MiEV: <1%, Fisker Karma: 1%, Ford Focus EV: 1%, Ford C-Max: 4%, Ford Fusion Electric: 9%, BMW i3: 5%, and BMW i8: 2%

Statewide - DFW has the largest amount of registered Model's Users (compared the Houston Area and Austin-San Antonio) with 43% of all Tesla Model S cars.

Last edited:
Since you didn't report Model X, I assume you're using the NCTCOG data, as they do not track Model X.

It's believed that NCTCOG's data undercounts the number of EVs, but we can't pinpoint why -- ChargePoint has their own report based on another source that indicates a much higher count statewide.

yea this is NCTCOG's data - I work there so it was pretty easy to find once I located the team's folder (I am on a separate team but still in transportation). The data is pulled from DMV registrations. There is probably about a month lag time since our vehicles are first registered in California and then a title transfer is done to Texas. There is also no account for those that move here and haven't updated their registration to Texas (or they may have chosen not to indefinitely), but, if the law is followed they have up to a year to register the vehicle in Texas.

The data is only as good as the DMV records are so take that as you will. I don't think there is any better alternative though - the best vehicle inventory data is usually always through the DMV.