Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Marketing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scroll down about 1/2 way.

Royal Society of Storytellers

tesla.jpg

Vimeo movie

It doesn't play, is there a password to play the video?

One had best hope that publicity and a good branding campaign speak for the Model S rather than the showroom sales people. I'm a Model S owner, but only because I had done my research and had taken a ride in one (from a total stranger who was kind enough to accommodate my pleadings) before ever stepping foot in a Tesla showroom (Washington, DC). The juveniles they have hired to be the face of Tesla in the stores is a major misstep. It is not that they were kids (hey, we all were at one point), rather they were sloppily dressed, sprawled all over the furniture, doing nothing, helping no one and had NO answers to my questions. I knew more than they did.

Subsequently, a salivating potential owner was fully put off after attending the Richmond (VA) car show and being met with the same visual I had gotten from the store visit, but also by rudeness and arrogance. Someone needs to step in to be a RA in the Tesla Store frat houses because they are turning people off. If that had been my first exposure to the car, I am not at all certain I would have pursued my interest in the car.

@Miuaiga: these are serious mis-cues, and I'm sure that they are not at all aligned with the intentions of Tesla management. These venues are all under the supervision of Will Nicholas (wnicholas (at) teslamotors.com) -- you should contact him directly with specifics. My experience to date is that sloppy employees quickly become former employees.

I have been to 2 stores and have not found that to be the case in either store. I did know more then the one salesperson I interacted with about the car but I have been following the company for much longer than her most likely :) Most people who walk in the stores have very little knowledge about the cars

I am delighted to hear that others are not having bad experiences at the Tesla storefronts, but I did. And then, totally unrelated, another had the same experience with Tesla folks at a car show. So, I thank Robert.Boston, particularly, for providing a link to an internal source of help. Hey, I'm on Tesla's side, owning both the car and the stock, so I want to see them get this very very right. If others have bad store experiences, it might be helpful long-term to identify those now so that the sloppy can be eliminated quickly.

It is important to remember that although the Tesla technology is, indeed, the stuff of the young bucks and gamers, so to speak, the majority of the people with the means to purchase these cars are not similarly constituted. I don't need a suit to greet me at the door, but I do expect professionalism, knowledge and a customer-centric experience. That's all. Thanks again for the input.

Tesla does advertise! At least, it does so in The Netherlands.

Dutch forum member Dubois found this advertisement in Saturday's edition of Financieel Dagblad (Financial Daily), which has a circulation among business owners and investors. It was probably an initiative of Tesla in The Netherlands. There is a clear message behind this advertisement: if you reserve a Model S before the end of April, it will still be delivered in 2013. And delivery in 2013 means 0% taks for five years if it is a company car. After January 1, 2014 this will be 7%. The difference is $20,000 over a period of five years. So there's quite an incentive for ordering this month and taking delivery in 2013. A lot of business owners are not aware of this yet (or even aware of the Model S yet), and these kinds of advertisements will undoubtedly translate into dozens of reservations/orders.

View attachment 20427

Tesla does advertise! At least, it does so in The Netherlands.

Dutch forum member Dubois found this advertisement in Saturday's edition of Financieel Dagblad (Financial Daily), which has a circulation among business owners and investors. It was probably an initiative of Tesla in The Netherlands. There is a clear message behind this advertisement: if you reserve a Model S before the end of April, it will still be delivered in 2013. And delivery in 2013 means 0% taks for five years if it is a company car. After January 1, 2014 this will be 7%. The difference is $20,000 over a period of five years. So there's quite an incentive for ordering this month and taking delivery in 2013. A lot of business owners are not aware of this yet (or even aware of the Model S yet), and these kinds of advertisements will undoubtedly translate into dozens of reservations/orders.

View attachment 20427
Hey RSF...

Just thought I'd ask. How much would you charge (paypal?) to pick up and mail me a copy of that edition with the advertisement? Feel free to reply in PM if you'd prefer.

It's becoming a weird collecting hobby of mine.

Hey RSF...

Just thought I'd ask. How much would you charge (paypal?) to pick up and mail me a copy of that edition with the advertisement? Feel free to reply in PM if you'd prefer.

It's becoming a weird collecting hobby of mine.

I'm not a subscriber, but I called the newspaper and they will send me a copy. It won't cost much. As soon as I receive the copy I will send you a PM.

I think the spread of these free Uber promotional rides to the high-end gym chain Equinox qualifies as marketing. Seems like a good idea - give a known affluent customer base willing to pay $180-$230 a month for a gym a ride in the car and increase awareness among the target demographic. I'm just not sure NYC, which kind of lacks a car culture, is the right place. Even our billionaire mayor rides the subway everywhere, and I also regularly run into famous television and film actors on the subways. Miami or even Boston might translate into more sales. But I could be wrong - everyone needs some sort of vehicle if they spend time in the Hamptons.

http://www.equinox.com/uber?emmcid=EMM-20144APRILMEMBERPROMOUBER4232013

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 10.50.37 AM.png

Great find, I think that just might be the first-ever paid ad I've seen for Tesla in any print media worldwide, are there any others?

The stores used to have budgets for advertising. They would do full page spreads in regional luxury magazines. Those would be in the waiting area. I never scanned one but they were ads. Advertising not Marketing.