Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Marketing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great discussion here! Nope, I don't think that Tesla should do "marketing spin" and redefine measures for distance. And yes, iPads/iPhones are sold by number of GB (note that I referred to iPods way back when...). I guess the reason is that 1000 songs for the iPod made sense while aa songs, xx hours video, yy photos and zz apps becomes a complicated and convoluted measure for iPhones and iPhads. So effectively iPads today are sold in "small, medium and large" categories that happen to be named by the GB sizes they (theoretically) may carry.

I also think that Tesla should keep the battery numbers to indicate the small / medium / large category. But a 85kWh battery may last you for 265 miles and then YMMV (quite literally) - so I think it is "more honest" to advertise 85kWh then 265 miles.

So while I agree that most(?) of us do care a great deal about miles, kWh, kWh/miles, 1C charging, AC, DC and more, I'm wondering if delivering the message in a different way to break the "gas station" thinking would help.

With regards to the charging times, for instance I typically answer they don't matter as long as they are not longer than the time you sleep (since you can sleep while a car charges, but can't sleep at a gas station).

I'm thinking something analogous to Apple that moved away from "GB" for their iPod but rather said "this one is good for 1000 Songs". The reason being is that most people have a frame of mind that relates to "miles between gas station stops" and not to "miles driven in one day".
Tesla doesn't have a good track record here. When I purchased my car they advertised storage for a # of songs. So far that has amounted to zero storage. No, it's not a units problem. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
My dinosaur now displays an aspirational "I wish my car was a Tesla" sticker.

I like to think that at least a few of the BMW/Benz owners who get behind me go Hmmm, or WTF or might experience some beginning
twinge of buyers remorse.

As a true believer it is the least I can do.

Capture.PNG

I saw the above image on my facebook news feed this morning. It seems Tesla is becoming an aspirational brand that other advertisers are beginning to latch onto as the ideal 'sample car'. I remember seeing the same thing happen to Apple in 2006, as tv advertisements that involve a shot of someone surfing the web from their laptop/PC became shots of someone on a Macbook or iMac.

Good for Tesla, free piggy-backed advertising.

My dinosaur now displays an aspirational "I wish my car was a Tesla" sticker.

I like to think that at least a few of the BMW/Benz owners who get behind me go Hmmm, or WTF or might experience some beginning
twinge of buyers remorse.

As a true believer it is the least I can do.

I overpaid for one of the license plate covers from Tesla for the same reason "my next car is electric" on the top and "Tesla" on the bottom :) love it.