Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Master Plan: GM got there first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Naw. You just don't cover 300 miles in 4h00m daily. You simply think you do. You don't even realize when those two trucks pass each other and there are 300 cars behind them, that you aren't going 80 anymore.

I-5 is flyover anyhow. What a boring road.

20 years ago, you might do 4h runs to SF from LA. It's not as common anymore.

"Most" driver are not "Most" drivers anymore, and haven't been for a long time. You can thank the Cellphone.
What? I'm not talking about average speed through the whole trip. That obviously will be significantly slower since that would include stops and local travel during the beginning and end of the trip.

I'm talking about a bulk of the major legs being 75-80mph. As for I-5 being a boring road, it doesn't matter. It's still one of the most traveled routes and what people take if they are in a hurry. I'm just saying traveling 75-80mph as a typical speed on I-5 is quite common, unlike what you are trying to imply.

Reactions: bxr140
Honestly, I'm tired of people from the coasts behaving like everything is centered on the way they live. This kind of pervasive attitude I encounter on the Internet and in real life is extremely off putting. Frankly, it's a big reason Donald Trump won the election and why his supporters tolerate his behavior: they are tired of people acting like the rest of America doesn't exist.

The Bolt may work for you, and it works for Jeff N, but there are large swaths of America where it won't work. Until GM sells a car that can work as well as an ICE car nearly everywhere, they haven't gotten to Tesla's goal. It's that simple.

In any country the population centers tend to set the bar for the culture. The US Northeast from Boston to Washington DC is almost a continuous city with one small gap in Connecticut and Rhode Island
life between mega-regions
http://alexreid.typepad.com/digital_digs/2008/04/life-between-me.html
That culture often ignores the west coast of the US too. California has its own heavy concentrations in Southern California and the Bay Area. Added this is a Tesla forum with 25% of the world's Teslas in California and Californians are going to have a more weight here than most forums.

I have a book on Mental Maps and one chapter is on regional maps as seen by residents of various places. Most NE Americans see their region much larger than it is, with the rest of the US shrunk and Hollywood and possibly Florida the only other large areas.

Lately I've been reading a book called American Nations recommended by a forum member in another thread. It's about the regional cultures of North America and it explains a lot about the tensions within the US that go back to the colonial days.

What? I'm not talking about average speed through the whole trip. That obviously will be significantly slower since that would include stops and local travel during the beginning and end of the trip.

I'm talking about a bulk of the major legs being 75-80mph. As for I-5 being a boring road, it doesn't matter. It's still one of the most traveled routes and what people take if they are in a hurry. I'm just saying traveling 75-80mph as a typical speed on I-5 is quite common, unlike what you are trying to imply.

If your constant speed in a Bolt EV is not 75mph, then the range is not 190 miles. It's higher.

The quote says the Bolt is unacceptable because with only 190 miles of real range, and insufficient DCFC sites, it cannot be used for travel past local trips. Pretty much all of that is incorrect.

If your constant speed in a Bolt EV is
The quote says the Bolt is unacceptable because with only 190 miles of real range, and insufficient DCFC sites, it cannot be used for travel past local trips. Pretty much all of that is incorrect.

My post #137 in this thread specifically states that the charge speed is the second issue after range, not unavailablility of CCS DCFC stations. Without Supercharger level speeds, the number of long breaks becomes more and more unpalatable.

Stations can always be built out, but absent some guarantees of future upgradability, today's Bolt will continue to charge slowly compared to a Tesla.