Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Master Plan Part 2 & 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:

Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

Well, there it is. He saved the bombshell for last. It's been speculated about, but he just came out and finally said it, as it's really nothing but (extra) software and a database once they've reached full autonomy. Wonder if the markets will be buzzing tomorrow...

Surprising he hinted that cheaper than the Model 3 isn't necessary, as it should happen anyway due to constantly falling battery prices.

While reading the Part Deux blog post, I heard a lead-in announcement at the beginning of the 6 o'clock news program on a local TV station here regarding the update to Tesla's master plan. I wonder if Tesla previewed the updates with news outlets? Otherwise, I can't imagine mainstream media getting word of this so soon after it was just posted by Tesla. Then again, as a local company, Tesla gets quite a bit of coverage here in the Bay Area and the local media may have staff devoted to tracking any updates about or from the company.

Last edited:
Impressive. About transport trucks tho...even if they're electric they're still a bad thing for so many other reasons - many of which go away if all vehicles are autonomous however. But still things like road wear, etc., remain. Maybe if Hyperloop Cargo ramps up quickly there will be no need.

Going in to work at Uber tomorrow morning can't be fun. :D

Impressive. About transport trucks tho...even if they're electric they're still a bad thing for so many other reasons - many of which go away if all vehicles are autonomous however. But still things like road wear, etc., remain. Maybe if Hyperloop Cargo ramps up quickly there will be no need.

Going in to work at Uber tomorrow morning can't be fun. :D

I'd rather see a modern electrified high speed rail system for anything beyond the local area - but it's politics, so it probably won't happen.

Reactions: RubberToe
"Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it"

Well, that is quite interesting, until someone spills a big gulp in your car (like what happened to an UBER friend of mine), or gets sick after a party. I'm not sure I would use that feature, but I could see where this could help people recover costs. Of course my UBER friend imposed the $100 cleanup charge back to the passenger.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and X Yes?
Adam Jonas probably satisfied that the Mobility App was included.

Elon is a very peculiar sort of genius who also has a lot of insight about presentation and spin. I think the little he said about the Mobility App was just right. Owners can let their Tesla's go off and work for them and earn under the Tesla fleet so anyone can afford a Tesla if they want. Otherwise Tesla owns and operates the rest of the fleet itself to assure enough coverage.

I wasn't expecting the Tesla Heavy Truck. That's a different technical challenge. City buses are a lot easier. Elon also alluded to some sort of bus earlier.

Very impressive. I hope he goes to bed early tonight.

Reactions: littlecloudy

Well, that is quite interesting, until someone spills a big gulp in your car (like what happened to an UBER friend of mine), or gets sick after a party. I'm not sure I would use that feature, but I could see where this could help people recover costs. Of course my UBER friend imposed the $100 cleanup charge back to the passenger.

Yeah I mean they will have passengers' payment info anyway. As soon as people realize they're on the hook for 100% of any costly cleanup bill, they won't likely do anything stupid. So then, you'll actually hope people will urinate all over your back seat because then you get a free professional interior cleaning. :D

Unlike cabs, every passenger in a Mobility App fleet has a verified identity and a credit card on file. They've also clicked on terms of service.

I suspect the fleet runs it's cars through a car wash interior and exterior daily or after service. They could bargain a good deal with car washes.

Passengers agree to pay for unusual damages.

Reactions: Pdub2015
If the Tesla semi and bugs are ready to be shown next year, part 2 of Model 3 is this year, right?

Also if the first Model 3 making machines in 2017 are 0.5, does that mean there will be significant improvement to the Model 3s built in 2018 once the 1.0 machines are ready?

Agreed. ICE requirements place practical limits on layout design. A Tesla "pickup" won't have those problems. I'm already envisioning a true "cab over" design...!

VW had to give up on the return of the VW Bus concept because they couldn't make crash safety work. I'm not sure how short a nose Tesla could really manage these days. But it should be interesting and I'm sure it'll be a creative solution that's integrated from the ground up and works very well for their priority use case. We'll have to see how flexible it is.

Reactions: Pdub2015
If the Tesla semi and bugs are ready to be shown next year, part 2 of Model 3 is this year, right?

Also if the first Model 3 making machines in 2017 are 0.5, does that mean there will be significant improvement to the Model 3s built in 2018 once the 1.0 machines are ready?

Improvement to the "making" machines does not necessarily equate to improvements in the machines made. More likely, we'll see a higher output rate and a lower incidence of defects.

• Helpful
Reactions: cdub and Falkirk
Along with the "super-factory', I think they also need to come up with a 5-10x improvement in the design of the vehicle. Cars should be designed more like cellphones, where they are put together with no "adjustment" being necessary. The parts fit together exactly and perfectly every time, just like Legos. This would fix the problems they are having now with both manufacturing speed, and customer satisfaction. Body panels should fit on the car one way, with no slop that can allow the panel to move around and possibly be put attached imperfectly.

This shouldn't be that hard, a car is really just a large cellphone, especially an electric one. So I think they need to use some of their engineers for this, along with improving the machine that makes the machines.

It sounds like Tesla intends to directly compete with Uber and Lyft. I think this is a good thing. That said, I would absolutely insist on having cameras in my car if it's out and about giving people rides. If someone spills a Big Gulp, I need to know which passenger of the night it was to know who to charge.

I'm thinking part to is December-January and semi/bus are September-October (assuming they manage to roll the first 3s in June-July like they're planning.)

I interpreted the machines part to be about improving the manufacturing flow (and cost) rather than the quality or performance of the cars being produced, but I may be misunderstanding it.