Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Maxpider, Weathertech Floormats for 2023 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't care about soundproofing, but rather durability and easy washing, so I guess it's a matter of priorities. The Tesla mats use TPE (thermoplastic elastomer), which is the same material as the trim to fit Weathertech mats (which I have no complaints about).
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-all-weather-interior-liners

3D Max uses TPR on top which is almost the same thing (only difference I can find is it is more reflective and less soft than TPE), XPE foam in the middle, and fibers on the bottom for grip.
https://images.carid.com/3d-maxpider/info/pdf/3dmaxpider-catalog.pdf

The differences between TPE and TPR: a handy guide

The foam might help with thermal and shock insulation (although depending on thickness might not be much), but I'm skeptical of how measurable any sound proofing properties would be (this applies to a lot of aftermarket products that claim to reduce sound). The placebo effect might be much stronger than any real advantage.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain very well the sound thing. The 3DMP mats dampen the sound of feet on the mats themselves due to their construction with the foam. Not sound from the outside of the vehicle. The Weathertech/Tesla mats are very tap tap tappy, whereas the other mats because of the foam dampen those higher frequencies. I've had the 3DMP mats in something like four different vehicles now; honestly don't know what I was thinking not getting them in our new Tesla (we have a set in our CX-5 right now for example). The WT/Tesla mats fit ok in the interior; the mat in the frunk doesn't sit very well in my opinion (the size is a little off and it doesn't conform at all to the curve of the bottom of the frunk, and yes I did get the correct version, the Tesla app made sure of that); the mat in the lower trunk bin and the trunk mat itself are mostly OK though.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
The Weathertech/Tesla mats are very tap tap tappy... WT/Tesla mats fit ok in the interior; the mat in the frunk doesn't sit very well in my opinion (the size is a little off and it doesn't conform at all to the curve of the bottom of the frunk, and yes I did get the correct version

Can't hear the tappy mats over my radio! I do agree the fit could be better, especially in the trunk.

Tim

Reactions: cubicalclang
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain very well the sound thing. The 3DMP mats dampen the sound of feet on the mats themselves due to their construction with the foam. Not sound from the outside of the vehicle. The Weathertech/Tesla mats are very tap tap tappy, whereas the other mats because of the foam dampen those higher frequencies. I've had the 3DMP mats in something like four different vehicles now; honestly don't know what I was thinking not getting them in our new Tesla (we have a set in our CX-5 right now for example). The WT/Tesla mats fit ok in the interior; the mat in the frunk doesn't sit very well in my opinion (the size is a little off and it doesn't conform at all to the curve of the bottom of the frunk, and yes I did get the correct version, the Tesla app made sure of that); the mat in the lower trunk bin and the trunk mat itself are mostly OK though.
Although I personally don't notice tapping with the weathertech mats (I guess my shoes have to do with it), what you describe makes sense (as I pointed out, it would help with shock insulation).

As for fit, most manufacturers of TPE mats recommend putting them out in the sun to soften them back up again and regain their shape (there is some memory). Problem is this is winter season, so probably not much sun right now.

As for the frunk mat, there is still a possibility they sent you the wrong one. Look at the two options (the pictures show the difference) and check your frunk is the corresponding one.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-all-weather-front-trunk-liner

Last edited:
I have the Tesla branded (Weathertech?) mats in my M3 and Tuxmats in my wifes MY. I don't drive my M3 much so they work fine but leave some carpet exposed ( dead pedal area for example) but I am fine with how they look and they do their job. The Tuxmats are a complete floor liner, they go under the front of the seat and along the side between the door and seat, basically no carpet is exposed. They are very nice mats with foam to dampen sound, I highly recommend them.

Ended up ordering the
No, couldn’t find any real reviews or pictures for Model 3 and they were super expensive. Ended up just going for the Tesla carpet mats. Not the best coverage, but nice enough.

Ah okay! I have the Tesla carpet mats (came with my car) and felt like they weren't going to hold up well in the northeast so, I ended up buying the 3D Maxpider Kagu mats from Amazon - they fit perfectly in my 2023 M3LR :)