Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla may choose Chinese partners by end of year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they're not hiring someone to be their future competition. Kinda like Apple did with Samsung.

Nope. Competition is good for EVs. Eliminating fossil fuels from personal transportation is desirable in one of the world's largest vehicle markets. If a Tesla joint venture or even a copycat accomplishes that, I'm good with this. Why would anyone deny the Chinese to build their own cars?

As far as Tesla is concerned, losing a big market and such: I think there is enough market left all over the world plus the individuals in China have high appreciation for foreign luxury brands. No problem to sell 40.000 Model S in China per year.

Last edited:
Actually, I think this might be big for Tesla. Tesla has their car business but they also have their drivetrain business which they work with Toyota and Mercedes. Right now China is pushing chinese car makers to make electric cars. Current Chinese electric cars are terrible. They can work with Tesla and Tesla will give them the drivetrain while they build the cars. This can rapidly increase electric car adoption in China.

I hope they're not hiring someone to be their future competition. Kinda like Apple did with Samsung.

Unlikely, remember that in the case of Apple and Samsung. Apple brought the design, Samsung brought the technology. In this case Tesla owns the technology and they are not going to let anyone else touch it. Design is easier to compete with because you can just hire designers. But technology is not as simple as just hiring engineers.

Actually, just like it's not simple to create technology by simply hiring engineers, it's not easy (or even easier) to create great design by simply hiring designers. Truth is, in something as complex as a car, it's only great because design and engineering are intertwined and inseparable.

Actually, I think this might be big for Tesla. Tesla has their car business but they also have their drivetrain business which they work with Toyota and Mercedes. Right now China is pushing chinese car makers to make electric cars. Current Chinese electric cars are terrible. They can work with Tesla and Tesla will give them the drivetrain while they build the cars. This can rapidly increase electric car adoption in China.

Unlikely, remember that in the case of Apple and Samsung. Apple brought the design, Samsung brought the technology. In this case Tesla owns the technology and they are not going to let anyone else touch it. Design is easier to compete with because you can just hire designers. But technology is not as simple as just hiring engineers.

Actually, just like it's not simple to create technology by simply hiring engineers, it's not easy (or even easier) to create great design by simply hiring designers. Truth is, in something as complex as a car, it's only great because design and engineering are intertwined and inseparable.

I did not mean it in such a way that it is "easy" by any means. To be more precise, I am saying that even if Tesla gave them the blueprints(which they are not), the Chinese would not be able to build it. The problem is more than just designers and engineers but equipment to build it. That is why I said, you can fix design issues by hiring designers, but no amount of engineers can make things without proper equipment. And to build that equipment requires a lot of trial and error to making to work properly.

That is why no matter how many times Apple says they plan to dump Samsung, they keep coming back to them. They have no choice because Samsung is one of the only companies with the equipment and technology to build it.

For Tesla it is not a problem because they are not technologically dependent on anyone other than maybe Panasonic (Luckily Panasonic is not in the car making business). Though that might change with the gigafactory as Musk seems to be trying to be as self dependent as possible.

This makes sense to me (this year I don't know, by 2016, I think so)

a) China is at the cusp of being the world's largest vehicle market and pulling far ahead with passing time. b) China wants EVs. c) However you feel about the way things are done in China, the fact is they have a capacity to make decisive large moves (i.e. basically create million plus population cities overnight) when they want to unlike anyone else (in a context where Elon is rather frustrated with the lack of large scale movement toward EVs by the rest of the possible players). Put those pieces together and you can see the appeal of China to Tesla.

Elon came to North America and Silicon Valley because he saw it was the best environment for entrepreneurs. He went to Russia because it was the best place to find people willing to sell a private individual a rocket. I wont be surprised if Elon is already working on Tesla's entry to making cars in China.

This makes sense to me (this year I don't know, by 2016, I think so)

a) China is at the cusp of being the world's largest vehicle market and pulling far ahead with passing time. b) China wants EVs. c) However you feel about the way things are done in China, the fact is they have a capacity to make decisive large moves (i.e. basically create million plus population cities overnight) when they want to unlike anyone else (in a context where Elon is rather frustrated with the lack of large scale movement toward EVs by the rest of the possible players). Put those pieces together and you can see the appeal of China to Tesla.

Elon came to North America and Silicon Valley because he saw it was the best environment for entrepreneurs. He went to Russia because it was the best place to find people willing to sell a private individual a rocket. I wont be surprised if Elon is already working on Tesla's entry to making cars in China.

And China has now surpassed the US as the country with the world's largest carbon footprint. The country is rushing headlong into environmental and climate disaster, of course, along with the rest of us. They've just become, with the US, the greatest contributor of harm to the planet we live on.

And China has now surpassed the US as the country with the world's largest carbon footprint. The country is rushing headlong into environmental and climate disaster, of course, along with the rest of us. They've just become, with the US, the greatest contributor of harm to the planet we live on.

Yes. Tesla and China see this.

Tesla is going to need to be completely anal retentive to avoid what I'll polite call an "involuntary transfer of intellectual property." China does not have a sterling track record on respecting patents.

yes, definitely a proceed with caution situation.

given Elon's skills of persuasion and Tesla's strategic position, I'd say I am cautiously optimistic he can execute an arrangement with China that is a net positive for Tesla and EVs, (even if some amount of shananigans, including some level of "involuntary transfer of i.p." cannot be completely avoided).

this is one that will take years to play out, but Tesla and China both have so much to gain by dealing fairly with each other.

seems like a whole lotta 'ifs' in the article. as in 'if Tesla wants to produce in China' starting in the first paragraph. no sources, no quotes from anyone, etc...

I'm sure Tesla would like to eventually produce in China, but I don't see why they would do so until Gen 3 is up and running and the process is worked out. Plus they very may want to keep certain components manufactured in US and ship to final production sites that

I live in Shanghai China.
Just saw an article that they set 1000 new cars on the street every day!
The air is terrible and the goverment has a plan to cut this down within the next 5-10 years significatly.
So there is no way around increasing efficiancy -->electrification
Currently almost everyone is driving electric scooters (no range fear etc.) driving electric is accepted technology here on a wide scale.

But what deffinitly will happen is that the technology will get copied 100%
The thing TESLA has to accieve is to build up a strong Brand here before the copies are on the street.
(the only tech. Risk I see is the hugh amount of debris on the streets coming from overloaded trucks...so to rethink their policy in china)