Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MCU repairability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I am interested in buying used Tesla Model S(very likely out of warranty one) and I am wondering if someone had some success about repairing/replacing eMMC storage on CID motherboard? As I can see this is one common problem with the older models I want to make some testing about repair ability of those motherboards/
I have the proper equipment for programming all kinds of NAND storage (including eUFS) and also BGA rework equipment and I am looking for some PCB's which are replaced and diagnosed as "faulty".
I am situated in Europe,Bulgaria, so I don't have such car on hand which I can dissasemble and make some tests.
As I am planning to to this for free, it is recommended to work with someone which have the ability to test if there is any success after my work.
The best situation for me is, if I have on hand a whole CID (even broken screen one), on which I can make the testing.

Thank you,

Hello everyone,
I am interested in buying used Tesla Model S(very likely out of warranty one) and I am wondering if someone had some success about repairing/replacing eMMC storage on CID motherboard? As I can see this is one common problem with the older models I want to make some testing about repair ability of those motherboards/
I have the proper equipment for programming all kinds of NAND storage (including eUFS) and also BGA rework equipment and I am looking for some PCB's which are replaced and diagnosed as "faulty".
I am situated in Europe,Bulgaria, so I don't have such car on hand which I can dissasemble and make some tests.
As I am planning to to this for free, it is recommended to work with someone which have the ability to test if there is any success after my work.
The best situation for me is, if I have on hand a whole CID (even broken screen one), on which I can make the testing.
I
Thank you,
Go see Rich Rebuilds videos on youtube: Rich Rebuilds
He has extensive videos on the MCU as well.

Thank you for sharing the link. I know this channel, but there are some specific details I am interested in which I can't find here.

Hello everyone,

Thank you,
Just did mine with a 64gb chip :)

Hi @innerfire

It’s my understanding that replacing the eMMC with a blank one would result in an MCU that will not boot as the eMMC holds all the files necessary for it to boot.

There is a very interesting thread on MCU1 repair with a lot of technical detail in the Model S forum. Search for “Preventative eMMC replacement on MCU1”, sorry I’m a newb so can’t past links.