TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla MCU repairability

Discussion in 'Technical' started by innerfire, Jun 11, 2019.

1. innerfire

innerfire Member

Hello everyone,
    I am interested in buying used Tesla Model S(very likely out of warranty one) and I am wondering if someone had some success about repairing/replacing eMMC storage on CID motherboard? As I can see this is one common problem with the older models I want to make some testing about repair ability of those motherboards/
    I have the proper equipment for programming all kinds of NAND storage (including eUFS) and also BGA rework equipment and I am looking for some PCB's which are replaced and diagnosed as "faulty".
    I am situated in Europe,Bulgaria, so I don't have such car on hand which I can dissasemble and make some tests.
    As I am planning to to this for free, it is recommended to work with someone which have the ability to test if there is any success after my work.
    The best situation for me is, if I have on hand a whole CID (even broken screen one), on which I can make the testing.

Thank you,

2. Saydanik

Saydanik New Member

Go see Rich Rebuilds videos on youtube: Rich Rebuilds
    He has extensive videos on the MCU as well.

3. innerfire

innerfire Member

Thank you for sharing the link. I know this channel, but there are some specific details I am interested in which I can't find here.

4. Saydanik

Saydanik New Member

I wonder if you could reach out to him.

5. innerfire

innerfire Member

I found contact with Phil from Ingeneerix, but I still haven't received any response. Maybe I am on my own about this initiative. :) I will continue to look for such display module on which I can make some research.
    Thanks

6. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Just did mine with a 64gb chip :)

7. innerfire

innerfire Member

Did you placed new blank one? Did you read your old flash?

8. Lecky

Lecky New Member

Hi @innerfire

It’s my understanding that replacing the eMMC with a blank one would result in an MCU that will not boot as the eMMC holds all the files necessary for it to boot.

There is a very interesting thread on MCU1 repair with a lot of technical detail in the Model S forum. Search for “Preventative eMMC replacement on MCU1”, sorry I’m a newb so can’t past links.

9. GSP

GSP Member

@widodh may be able to help. He is a thread he started on the subject:

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

GSP