Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Megachargers arrive at Frito-Lay facility ahead of January Semi deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Thread is about the mega chargers being delivered. The article is mostly about the mega chargers. Yes the article mentions “ahead of semi deliveries“ so the question should be, “were any semis delivered in January?” Saying “these” could refer to magechargers or semis.

This Thread is about the mega chargers being delivered.
It's still about both--always has been. It's literally right there in the text of the title of the thread: "January semi deliveries".

The article is mostly about the mega chargers.
The article is also about both. It literally has titled sections for each of those two topics.

Yes the article mentions “ahead of semi deliveries“ so the question should be, “were any semis delivered in January?” Saying “these” could refer to magechargers or semis.
The pictures posted with the article already SHOW the megachargers existing at that site. The answer to that question is already visually shown and answered, so that would not be what remains to be asked.

This isn't unclear at all.

It's still about both--always has been. It's literally right there in the text of the title of the thread: "January semi deliveries".

The article is also about both. It literally has titled sections for each of those two topics.

The pictures posted with the article already SHOW the megachargers existing at that site. The answer to that question is already visually shown and answered, so that would not be what remains to be asked.

This isn't unclear at all.
75% of the article is about The chargers. Token mention of the trucks.

Glad you agree the chargers are there.

”these“ when posted in a thread about 2 things (your argument) can refer to either. Since many posts on here are asking questions that have already been answered, it is best to specify which of “these” you mean.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
75% of the article is about The chargers. Token mention of the trucks.

Glad you agree the chargers are there.

”these“ when posted in a thread about 2 things (your argument) can refer to either. Since many posts on here are asking questions that have already been answered, it is best to specify which of “these” you mean.
Are you two still really doing this?

That article from InsideEVs is probably a little off-base. It, and a previous September article that it links to, are hung up on the original CharIN requirements which were modified along the way during the actual design of Megawatt Charging System. The article says the upper voltage peak is 1.250V at 3,000A but when I was looking into this months ago I recall that it was actually 1,500V at 3,000A. That article also says the plug will be compatible with the existing CCS Type 1 and Type 2 plugs and thus there would have to be two MCS plugs designs. I think that’s wrong — the design committee gave up on that “requirement” and went with a completely new plug design based on a design mostly developed by Tesla (which was a member of the design committee). The final new MCS plug design is different and incompatible with the earlier prototype Tesla Semi plug.

Anyway, I assume we will soon be seeing the actual plug design since they can’t keep it secret much longer.
The new plug design is now out. I’m still not sure if InsideEVs has the specification details right but now we have a photo of the new plug. It will presumably be used by Tesla Semi since Tesla was a key member of the design committee (although this is not stated in the article).

Last edited:
The new plug design is now out. I’m still not sure if InsideEVs has the specification details right but now we have a photo of the new plug. It will presumably be used by Tesla Semi since Tesla was a key member of the design committee (although this is not stated in the article).

Finally glad to see it, however:

"The MCS has been under development for about four years, since CharIN initiated the Task Force for Heavy Duty Charging for Commercial Vehicles, at the 1st CharIN North America Conference in 2018."

and

"The publication of the final MCS standard is expected in 2024, meanwhile, starting later this year, CharIN members will present their respective products implementing MCS"

Really, 6 years to develop this? I assume products can now be released but may need a firmware or physical update once the standard is final. I assume Tesla is going with the same system on the Semi. Now we just need a closer look at those Tesla MegaChargers. Whats going on at the Frito-Lay facility?

Pictures of the Tesla semi's charging port have been posted quite a while ago, and they do not look like that plug. I think a lot of us were hoping that they would match whenever this came out, but it seems not. I suppose Tesla could change the charge port and plug to this new standard, but I am feeling a bit doubtful of that.

Pictures of the Tesla semi's charging port have been posted quite a while ago, and they do not look like that plug. I think a lot of us were hoping that they would match whenever this came out, but it seems not. I suppose Tesla could change the charge port and plug to this new standard, but I am feeling a bit doubtful of that.
You are talking about pictures of the charging inlet and charge plugs on the prototype Semi truck cabs and not pictures of the new Megachargers installed at Frito-Lay, right? Tesla needed an interim charge plug for the prototype trucks. I, for one, never thought that would be Tesla’s final new plug design regardless of whether they eventually adopted the CharIN design or rolled their own proprietary plug.

Reactions: Olle
Some very surprising Tesla Megacharger plug photos in this new article:

B6FB2DE8-B677-4254-89D1-203EF3E308F8.jpeg

Some very surprising Tesla Megacharger plug photos in this new article:

View attachment 818926
Interesting. That must be what Tesla decided to use before the MPC connector was official and could be displayed publicly. I'm sure it will be easy for them to change out the cables and ports with the official MPC connector when the time comes.

Interesting. That must be what Tesla decided to use before the MPC connector was official and could be displayed publicly. I'm sure it will be easy for them to change out the cables and ports with the official MPC connector when the time comes.
Maybe. Or maybe this is really the final Tesla design. I have no idea.

Thanks! I skimmed the Wikipedia article and somehow missed that connection. Duh.
“Versions 2.0 through 2.4 of the MCS connector used "hairpin" shaped contacts, but issues were discovered with patented intellectual property, prompting versions 3.0 through 3.2, which returned to the triangular shape with larger pins and longer protective sheaths to prevent accidental contact.”

So Tesla had their patent and would make enough off of it so they pulled it from the running. Wonder if they plan to use their own going forward based on their par
temts or switch to the new version 3.

“Versions 2.0 through 2.4 of the MCS connector used "hairpin" shaped contacts, but issues were discovered with patented intellectual property, prompting versions 3.0 through 3.2, which returned to the triangular shape with larger pins and longer protective sheaths to prevent accidental contact.”

So Tesla had their patent and would make enough off of it so they pulled it from the running. Wonder if they plan to use their own going forward based on their par
temts or switch to the new version 3.
I would not assume that the patent issue was necessarily with Tesla. I still expect Tesla to use the final version 3 MCS plug when the Semi begins normal delivery to customers. But that’s just a guess.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I would not assume that the patent issue was necessarily with Tesla. I still expect Tesla to use the final version 3 MCS plug when the Semi begins normal delivery to customers. But that’s just a guess.
You are too nice. I’m a cynic when it comes to these type of things. First pictures of semi charging ports and mega chargers have version 2 and then when version 3 is finalized and announced it is made known there were patent issues with version so the shape of the connector had to be changed. Coupled with Tesla not using the worldwide standard CCS on its own passenger cars (in us at least) looks like they want the connector to be theirs where they benefit financially from each one installed. And like the supercharger network, they want it to be a reason to buy Tesla semi over competitors.