Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Megachargers arrive at Frito-Lay facility ahead of January Semi deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with using it as a sale factor is they don't have a four year lead in installing Megachargers, and it'd be Tesla vs every single other manufacturer and user and government spending...I don't think that's a walled garden that benefits Tesla. It's bad enough with CCS.

Reactions: Jeff N
The issue with using it as a sale factor is they don't have a four year lead in installing Megachargers, and it'd be Tesla vs every single other manufacturer and user and government spending...I don't think that's a walled garden that benefits Tesla. It's bad enough with CCS.
While I agree with you on a rational basis, Elon has proved he is anything but. FSD full autonomy by when? I think we’ve passed two or three dates he’s promised now. Vision (something that can’t see through fog/clouds/dust) is better than radar (something that can)? If the world followed Elon, planes wouldn’t be able to fly anytime there are clouds, much less fog or rain (only vfr, not ifr). The supercharger network worked for cars so why not semis?

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
While I agree with you on a rational basis, Elon has proved he is anything but. FSD full autonomy by when? I think we’ve passed two or three dates he’s promised now. Vision (something that can’t see through fog/clouds/dust) is better than radar (something that can)? If the world followed Elon, planes wouldn’t be able to fly anytime there are clouds, much less fog or rain (only vfr, not ifr). The supercharger network worked for cars so why not semis?
Just two or three? It's WAY more than that.

You are too nice. I’m a cynic when it comes to these type of things. First pictures of semi charging ports and mega chargers have version 2 and then when version 3 is finalized and announced it is made known there were patent issues with version so the shape of the connector had to be changed. Coupled with Tesla not using the worldwide standard CCS on its own passenger cars (in us at least) looks like they want the connector to be theirs where they benefit financially from each one installed. And like the supercharger network, they want it to be a reason to buy Tesla semi over competitors.

I seriously doubt Tesla will stick with this connector on Megachargers, Tesla could still wall garden their chargers even with a standard connector. This is just a case of them testing and developing before the standard was created. Unlike the Tesla Supercharger connector, they had no choice but release something that wasn't a standard.

I still think its veery shortsighted that CCS1 was adoped in the US, because its terrible, CCS2 is okay, and is not much bigger than the Tesla connector without the DC pins. CCS2 is probably what SHOULD be a world standard simply because it can do three phase, and that is still useful in the US. Infact its now an SAE standard for heavy duty EVs.

Reactions: Big Earl and Jeff N
The 3.75MW MCS standard for charging heavy-duty electric - NOTEBOOKCHECK

The 3.75MW MCS standard for charging heavy-duty electric vehicles is official and first 1MW stations will have Tesla compatibility​

The first MCS stations will be 1MW and have Tesla or CCS chargers, too (image: CharIN)The first MCS stations will be 1MW and have Tesla or CCS chargers, too (image: CharIN)
CharIN's new Megawatt Charging System for heavier electric vehicles like long-haul trucks, buses, planes, or ferries, that has been years in the making, is now standardized. The Tesla Semi might be taking advantage of the new MCS standard, while Teslas and other electric cars will be able to charge at the initial 1MW stations, too.
Daniel Zlatev, 06/19/2022 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 ...
E-Mobility

The CharIN task force created in 2018 to tackle the problem of fast charging upcoming heavy-duty electric vehicles like long-haul semi trucks, buses, planes, or ferries, has standardized a new Megawatt Charging System (MCS) that can deliver up to 3.75MW of power per charger. The first MCS charging stations, however, will be 1MW and will be backwards compatible with existing charging standards like those of Tesla or the CCS one other electric cars use by simply including a second charger for smaller electric cars.

Whether that second charger will be with a Tesla or a CCS connector will depend on the location, but the MCS standard strives for global acceptance by being built on the "benefits and the features of the Combined Charging System (CCS) based on ISO/IEC 15118," clarifies CharIN. The new system even mandates the location of the charging port on the heavy-duty electric trucks to be at the front left of the vehicles at waist height for easier plug-ins.

The new MCS standard paves the way for the proliferation of long-haul electric trucks like the Tesla Semi that recently went up for preorder. There were rumors that Tesla, which is part of the initial CharIN task force, has been waiting for the standardization of the Megawatt Charging System to go ahead with the Semi's development and production.

After first being announced at the CharIN North America Conference in 2018, the working MCS standard made a cameo at the EVS35 expo in Oslo by pairing a 1MW Alpitronic station charger with a Scania electric truck. According to CharIN, the final documentation of the Megawatt Charging System for heavy-duty electric vehicles is expected to be published in 2024, at which point station makers can start rolling out their long-haul truck charger networks in earnest.

Test MCS charging station for electric trucks and buses in Portland (image: CharIN)Test MCS charging station for electric trucks and buses in Portland (image: CharIN)

Electric Trucks Get Boost From Multi-Megawatt Charging Stations- BLOOMBERG

A Mercedes-Benz eActros electric cargo truck

A Mercedes-Benz eActros electric cargo truckPhotographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg
By
Ryan Fisher
June 22, 2022, 5:30 AM CDT

Electric Trucks Get Boost From Multi-Megawatt Charging Stations​

Battery-powered big rigs are becoming more popular thanks to powerful new technology.

Broad adoption of heavy-duty electric trucks is looking closer than ever with manufacturers releasing new big rigs and the announcement that multi-megawatt charging is coming in 2024.

Attendees at the EVS 35 electric-vehicle conference in Oslo last week were able to check out a Scania truck charging at more than 1 Megawatt. That’s roughly four times greater than what Tesla’s Model 3 can charge. Swiss industrials firm ABB showed off its new multi-megawatt charger it says will be ready for pilots next year and commercial deployment in 2024. That product boasts an impressive capacity of up to 3MW.

While multi-megawatt charging won’t be necessary for all electric-truck journeys, more than 40% of freight activity in Europe happens on trips above 500 kilometers (311 miles). That’s outside the range of most planned electric truck models, thus requiring at least one charging stop. Currently announced heavy-duty truck models such as Volvo’s FM range and Daimler Truck’s Freightliner eCascadia have battery capacities of around 450-550 kilowatt-hours and ranges that max out at around 400km. Pumping the power above the maximum 350kW available today will help drivers get on their way in minutes rather than hours.

The truck industry, relying heavily on diesel engines, faces tightening emission regulations as part of Europe’s so-called Green Deal, which aims to reach climate neutrality by 2050. While the availability of charging stations for electric passenger cars is increasing in many regions, a public infrastructure for heavy-duty, long-haul vehicles is essentially non-existent. Electrifying big rigs will be key for tackling climate change as trucks account for around 19% of all road transport emissions in Europe. No wonder the European Commission is eager to get larger-scale charging networks up and running.

The latest regulation on alternative fuels infrastructure — first proposed in mid-2021 — requires countries to install truck charging stations on both sides of some 170,000km of European roads every 60km to 100km. Ambitions have increased in the amendment stages to require more chargers with a minimum capacity of 700kW, up from 350kW previously.

The region’s biggest truckmakers are also investing in charging infrastructure. Last Thursday, the European Commission approved a joint venture between Volvo, Daimler Truck and Traton that plans to invest 500 million euros ($525 million) to set up 1,700 charging points across Europe by around 2027. Daimler Truck is involved in a similar initiative in the US, investing $650 million with Florida electric utility NextEra Energy and BlackRock to create a nationwide network of commercial-vehicle chargers.

Electric trucks are sitting higher on the agenda of manufacturers right now and have pushed hydrogen technology somewhat to the side — at least in the near future. It’s still important to put the positive momentum in the electric truck space into context.

Battery-powered rigs accounted for just 0.2% of global truck sales last year. Let’s zoom in on Volvo, one of the leaders in the space. The company says it had a 42% share of the European market for electric trucks in 2021, which consisted of only 346 registered vehicles. Volvo will start serial production of its heavy-duty electric rigs in the fall, the company said last month, adding that it took orders — including letters of intent to buy — for more than 1,100 electric trucks last year.

While the good news is that more models are coming to market, questions remain around the speed and cost of rolling out adequate charging infrastructure for big rigs. At the Eurelectric energy conference in Brussels last week, there was one issue mentioned again and again as a major hurdle for the transition toward cleaner energy and transport: The time it takes to get grid updates permitted and built.

When it comes to energy infrastructure, the European Commission has sprung into action following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, suggesting measures to encourage energy efficiency, increase renewable-generation targets and tackle slow and complex permitting for clean-energy projects to pull them forward and reduce dependence on Russian fossil fuels.

A similar focus on speeding up grid connections for EV charging would accelerate the transition to cleaner trucking — and bolster efforts to protect the global climate.

Have these chargers been tested in extreme cold? Does it take longer to charge the semi in cold weather? Say the driver is getting back on the road and is going to charge up but it's 15 degrees below zero and the batteries are cold
It would be the same as a car. But many trucks dont have the extended downtime.

It’s wise to charge when getting off the road while the batteries are warm.

Ummmm…aircraft radar isn’t used to see through clouds

Ummmm…aircraft radar isn’t used to see through clouds
It’s not? So anytime there’s a cloud in the sky pilots just assume there isn’t a plane on the other side? I know most planes are identified via transponders but radar is still used for the same purpose.

It’s not? So anytime there’s a cloud in the sky pilots just assume there isn’t a plane on the other side? I know most planes are identified via transponders but radar is still used for the same purpose.

Wow you are misinformed.

I have been flying professionally for 25 years.
radar is used to SEE clouds, specifically clouds with height moisture content,a.k.a, thunderstorms. It is not used to spot other aircraft nor terrain. There may be military systems that do this, but nothing civilian.

None I am specifically excluding radar altimeters. These are extremely primitive radar devices that simply provude distance to the ground while at low altitudes such as when landing from cat II or III ILS approaches. I doubt many would classify these as radar.

Wow you are misinformed.

I have been flying professionally for 25 years.
radar is used to SEE clouds, specifically clouds with height moisture content,a.k.a, thunderstorms. It is not used to spot other aircraft nor terrain. There may be military systems that do this, but nothing civilian.

None I am specifically excluding radar altimeters. These are extremely primitive radar devices that simply provude distance to the ground while at low altitudes such as when landing from cat II or III ILS approaches. I doubt many would classify these as radar.
Pardon my layman’s use of the term radar. Apparently its wrong. Is my analogy correct if you swap radar for whatever you professional pilot use?

So when you have low visibility, do you use “vision” to correctly steer your plane?

The whole point is that Elon and Tesla have decided a camera that can only see light or absence of light is the best bet for an autonomous driving platform when no other similar company on the planet relies solely on vision for autonomous driving/flying/etc.

Pardon my layman’s use of the term radar. Apparently its wrong. Is my analogy correct if you swap radar for whatever you professional pilot use?

So when you have low visibility, do you use “vision” to correctly steer your plane?

The whole point is that Elon and Tesla have decided a camera that can only see light or absence of light is the best bet for an autonomous driving platform when no other similar company on the planet relies solely on vision for autonomous driving/flying/etc.
Not a problem, and my apologies if I came across antagonistically.

Aircraft navigate using radio navigation, typically GPS but also ground based navigation facilities (VOR for enroute navigation and ILS or VOR for instrument approaches to runways). Ground-based equipment is slowly getting phased out in favor of GPS but will still be around for quite some time. Also, inertial navigation is frequently used, typically blended with GPS to increase precision and provide redundancy for GPS dropouts.

Fortunately, when airborne at a safe altitude, there isn't too much to be concerned about hitting, which is a very different situation than a car driving under FSD, where there are obstacles everywhere. At altitude, the only thing that is a real concern is conflicts with other aircraft. Historically, this is where radar comes into play, but it is not radar on the aircraft. Rather, it is ground-based radar used by air traffic control facilities. By itself, ground-based radar is not terribly useful to ATC; all they will see on their scope are random blobs which may or may not be aircraft. They could also be flocks of birds, or other odd radar reflections that are not filtered out. To really be useful, ATC "pings" the transponders on aircraft, which return aircraft identifiers and altitude which can then be used to label the blob.

In the general case, aircraft have had no way to identify and avoid other aircraft. There is equipment installed on most large aircraft, called TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) that provides tactical resolution to impending collisions or near-misses. However, this relies on pinging other aircraft's transponders directly.

What I have described so far is old technology. Over the past decade or so, there has been a new, GPS-based technology that has been rolled out called ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) that is supplementing ATCs use of radar and transponders and aircraft's use of transponders.

So what is radar used for in civilian aircraft? It is weather radar. It looks for areas of high moisture content that correlate with the presence of thunder storms.

Getting back to FSD, there are many good arguments for the use of radar. However, those uses are very distinct to how it is used on aircraft.

Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: ambudriver03

Actually electronic "cameras" can see more than "light" or "absence of light". They can sense many different non visual frequencies that the human eye can not detect such as infrared for one. What frequency ranges Tesla detects I do not know but I'm quite sure it is more than just the visible range as FSD seems to do a reasonable job(?) at night.