Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla/Mercedes L2 Study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
Someone posted on our local Columbus OH Facebook group about a study going on locally here. They are looking for volunteers who already own one of these vehicles to spend 90 minutes with them driving around with special glasses which track your eye movements. For the trouble, they are paying $250. I signed up. I'd love to give the Mercedes a whirl.

Anyone else hear about this or have more details?

I went to this study today - got to drive the Mercedes S-Class ICE ADAS-equipped car. I've not driven their car before so obviously I've not read the owner's manual or other specifics. Two interviewers, wearing glasses to track pupil movement, and their 2- minute intro on how to engage/dis-engage/control the Mercedes ADAS. The interviewers decided the route (mix of city, interstate, and construction areas) and was asking questions throughout with recording and other equipment. The study was specific to ADAS between Telsa & Mercedes - it's not clear who they were asking for.
  1. There was a LOT of lane-hunting, like we've seen in Tesla in various releases in the past. Seemed to go from hugging the left lane divider, to centered, to hugging the right lane-divider over and over.
  2. Possible user error, but whenever ADAS was engaged it always started at the CURRENT speed. I very much prefer the posted speed limit instead.
  3. Instrument cluster did not show pedestrians of even much for other vehicles - it was very pared down - you could see cars in front of you or next to you but not parked cars nor cars not going in your direction. Also, no obvious display awareness of construction areas or emergency vehicles.
  4. No auto lane change - but did perform lane changes by virtue of signaling.
  5. Blind spot warning was loud and effective.
  6. Taking an exit from the Interstate, it started to veer off the lane - somehow (perhaps me) the ADAS just turned off and I didn't notice. Could have been me, but I don't think so.
  7. No stop light/sign/speed limit sign recognition.
  8. No auto turns whatsoever best I can tell, including from Interstate to Interstate.
VERY comfortable, smooth ride of course which you would expect from Mercedes. But it appears they are significantly behind the Tesla ADAS, not to mention FSD or even NAV. I'm honestly disappointed in their tech.

I think there's a difference in philosophy. These other OEM's would rather have a limited scope of what the ADAS system can do, and have that function be more comfortable for the driver. Tesla has more capability but allows a lot of things that irritate the driver (or even result in dangerous driving) and require more interventions.

Is this the same system that is being used in Germany within their geofence with HD map or a generation behind product?
I do not know. I believe it is what Mercedes delivers in the USA currently. So likely not their full-fledged L3 system in Germany but I'm sure it has the same "bones" below the surface. But I really don't know specifics on what is different between USA Mercedes ADAS compared to Germany's L3.