Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi

Tesla miles are different than actual miles travelled by the car. For example I travelled to Santa Cruz this weekend and the total round trip distance is about 400 miles. I charged my battery twice to 290 miles and Tesla in the cars profile in both the app as well as in the car increased the miles travelled by the car by 580 instead of the actual miles i.e., 400 miles. Is this how Tesla calculates the car mileage?

Regards
S

EPA rating is NOT always (or rarely) what you get in an ICE car. Same for an EV. The EPA rated milage is just an optimistic estimate that is hard to meet.

Furthermore, the stated range will not be reflective of the drive cycle described. Our cars, like hybrids, will get worse mileage on the highway than in mixed or city driving. I changed the settings on mine so that it displays percent, rather than range.

I think the OP is talking about the odometer number being erroneous, not the estimated range.

FWIW, I drove a good amount over the long weekend, and I also had the suspicion that the odometer increase is more than what I actually drove. But since I didn't record the exact numbers (only what I briefly glanced over), I chalk it up to bad memory.

Last edited:
I think the OP is talking about the odometer number being erroneous, not the estimated range.

FWIW, I drove a good amount over the long weekend, and I also had the suspicion that the odometer increase is more than what I actually drove. But since I didn't record the exact numbers (only what I briefly glanced over), I chalk it up to bad memory.

I doubt the OP is talking about the odometer. The OPs post is another way of saying the very popular "why doesnt my car get its rated range" question, but phrased a different way.

OP there is no such thing as "tesla miles" . There is the estimated range (which is an estimate, based on epa tests just like a gas car) and then there is the cars estimate of how far it can go (seen in the energy graphs) based on how you are driving / road conditions etc.

Actual miles the car has completed is in the odometer. Anything else is estimates... just like an ICE car gets an "estimated" 20 city 26 highway 24 combined" or some such.

OP if you want to read much (much much) more on opinions on the above, just search this site for "why doesnt my car get stated range" or something like that, and you can read pages and pages (and pages.... and pages) of people posting about the topic.

Reactions: 67King and Big Earl
hi

Tesla miles are different than actual miles travelled by the car. For example I travelled to Santa Cruz this weekend and the total round trip distance is about 400 miles. I charged my battery twice to 290 miles and Tesla in the cars profile in both the app as well as in the car increased the miles travelled by the car by 580 instead of the actual miles i.e., 400 miles. Is this how Tesla calculates the car mileage?

Regards
S

I guess we need some clarification. The way I read this the OP went on a 400 mile trip and the car increased the odometer reading by 580 miles. I've never heard of that, so rated miles is a good second guess. But that wouldn't show a 580 mile increase anywhere.

If the OP added 580 miles of charging (not "increased the miles traveled by the car") and only went 400 actual miles, then yes that is normal. Just like any ICE car trying to get it's EPA rated MPG or range. The OP can change the display to percent if the miles freaks them out.

hi

Regards
S
No, I think you made a mistake somewhere. The estimated range has nothing to do with actual travelled miles.