Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mini Store for Market Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will this work exactly? I know in some states Tesla could not even hold a car show like in Utah. Or will they create a different company and use them as an advertising/marketing company so they can claim they aren't a manufacturer but just a promoter? Anyone familiar with how they plan to work out the legal details?

I think this is awesome, and I found a good place to set up camp for a while:

The National Automobile Dealers Association
8400 Westpark Drive
McLean, VA 22102 (map)
703.821.7000 or 800.252.6232
Well played.

Another random observation:
The Woodbridge, VA supercharger appears to be 26.2 miles (says Google) from this location. Let's assume you charge to 90% on a 60, proceed directly to Westpark Drive, circle until you're at 50 miles rated, and return to the supercharger. I wonder how many vehicles in/near Virginia it would take to circle the NADA headquarters and parade around for a couple hours (with vehicles rotating to/from the supercharger refills). Purely an academic math question of course.

so what do they pull this with? I hope it's not a gas guzzler........that would be a perfect FUD argument and would counteract what Tesla is trying to do.....
... or it's a beginning of a discussion. "Tesla will be replacing these gas guzzlers in a couple generations of vehicles, assuming the market keeps us afloat long enough."

Came across this article which implies a definite marketing strategy rather than testing. It is supposed to start in Santa Barbara and then in the Hamptons and also Europe.
This pretty much goes along with the OP's initial post and the details in the subsequent posts by others. The article calls it a mobile store housed in a unique shipping container that can be transported to sites where it "arrives and unfolds to double its size in just a few hours".
(http://cdn4.benzinga.com/files/imagecache/1024x768xUP/images/story/2012/1_1.jpg)

This entire idea is sheer genius.
So many mid-size towns and cities that do not yet have a "gallery", whet the general public's imagination, helping to get the EV message out there.

Maybe TM could have local politicians and business people come and have some sort of a "ribbon cutting"/open house at each location, get some local angle publicity on the TV and in the local/regional newspapers.

Work the North US and Southern Canada during the Summer and temperate months, and the Southern portion of the country during the winter months.

I greatly admire the concept as well. I do, however, think that it is something that could have an affect on a 50-100K/yr operation (TM today), but not on one an order of magnitude larger. I would love​ to be shown elsewise.

Mods, there is another thread on this same topic entitled Tesla Mini Store for Market Testing. And there are pictures by the OP of that thread. Perhaps these two threads should be merged but that has to be your call. In a related link within that thread, there was mention of starting in Santa Barbara followed by the Hamptons and also Europe. Whether for market testing or as an outright end-around NADA, I agree with the many posters who think it is a brilliant move.

I am from Omaha and heard that there was a Tesla presence outside the Berkshire Hathaway meeting a few weeks ago. Good idea, I thought. I don't know if they had a special truck/showroom or not. I just heard about test drives and vehicles and Tesla reps.

I am from Omaha and heard that there was a Tesla presence outside the Berkshire Hathaway meeting a few weeks ago. Good idea, I thought. I don't know if they had a special truck/showroom or not. I just heard about test drives and vehicles and Tesla reps.

Maybe better to keep this out of proscribed areas lest Elliot Ness types do their impounding act. Unless someone knows of any rubber-tire exemption to trade-practices statutes.
--