Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Minibusses or vans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

i was wondering and asking myself whether Tesla ever will build electric vans and busses, for example like the mercedes viano. What do you all think?

mercedes-benz-viano-mer_via_10_kompakt_1.jpg

Hey all,

i was wondering and asking myself whether Tesla ever will build electric vans and busses, for example like the mercedes viano. What do you all think?

View attachment 50035

The existing powertrain seems quite adequate to the purpose, and Tesla has talked on various occasions about the flexibility of their 'skateboard' platform.

I have no reason to think they plan to do it anytime soon, but it seems like it would be fairly easy for them to do.
Walter

The existing powertrain seems quite adequate to the purpose, and Tesla has talked on various occasions about the flexibility of their 'skateboard' platform.

I have no reason to think they plan to do it anytime soon, but it seems like it would be fairly easy for them to do.
Walter

Step 2b: get the Model X completed
Step 2c: refine 4WD control system
Step 3.1: Gigafactory
Step 3.2: Gen 3
Step 4.1: Gen 4
Step 4.2: Everything else.

I think they have enough to worry about.

They might simply provide power trains for someone else to do that. Good idea though.

That is a great idea. Maybe the best one I have heard. The rest of the industry can just use Tesla's Skateboard design and powertrain. Licence it to everyone who does not invest enough in EV tech. I think the rest of the industry could build some pretty compelling cars if they had that to work with. It could really speed up getting the entire fleet to electric. I would love for Tesla to do this one day.

A Tesla van would become the new-age VW bus. I can see families and friends taking it cross country, would be so awesome! We'll see what's in store for the near future.

I think there is already a solution for that. Check out "Swiss Room Box":
SwissRoomBox packs a whole vacation into a box that can fit in a Fit. : TreeHugger

Quite honestly, I am entertaining myself with this idea of living in the car like that. Previously I thought of renting a parking spot near a gym so that I could take shower there. With this innovation AND automatic climate control in electric vehicles we all can be hippies year around even in cold climates... ;-)

Furthermore, once self-driving technology gets fully developed, you wouldn't even need to fly on airplanes. You can plan a trip within a week notice or less (which is usually when airplane tickets get expensive). Just hop in the car and drive day & night from coast to coast. That would be super-convenient and still not draining your body.