Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla misinformation …

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla misinformation …

Hello all. 2 weeks ago I purchased MX P90D for my wife. We got it at Highland Park, IL facility. After building the car on Tesla’s website while we were at the store, the SA (sales associate) was able to find one just the way we built it, except the $200 hitch option. Car was available in CA and is being shipped to IL plus we will not have to wait 4-5 months if we were to order it.

We came from a long term Audi family where my wife would always drive SUVs and I drive sedans. Only recently we got into BMWs and have been very happy. Most of our cars are leased as we get tired of them quite fast. We were in the process of ordering BMW X5m and my wife asked to go look at the MX (car she was always thinking of buying) before we commit to another lease. We went to see MX with our two kids and everyone just fell in love with the car. We were so excited that we decided to buy it instead of leasing it, and keep it for 6+ years. One of the reasons is that my wife always talked about Tesla as the future of automotive industry and ease of upgradability over the air.

I typically perform good research about any new car that we lease but this purchase was done on a complete impulse, I know, $150k worth of impulse… The SA did give us $5,500 discount as this was “in stock vehicle” based on his description.

The two best selling points that made us buy this MX was the fact that we were told by the SA that there is absolutely no maintenance (except tire rotation and brakes) on the car and that after 4 years we can buy extended warranty for $4k. I asked SA if that is bumper to bumper warranty and he said “Yes”. I guess since I am a car guy I should have picked up the fact that I should double check everything he say as he did not know if the MX with 22” wheels that we ordered were staggered or square setup… Again, I was so completely blinded by the excitement that was given off by my wife and my young kids, that I completely gave in…

Anyway, after we got home all hyped up, here is where disappointments started piling up:

1. SA called us back about putting a deposit of $2500 and when he told us that the monthly payments based on 78 month loan will be $170 more a month than we saw on Tesla website while shopping at the Tesla store. When I tried to inquire why there is such a difference (78 x $170 = $13,000) he replied that the pricing on the Tesla website is just an estimate. He got the manager involved and she kept saying the same thing, to what I said that they just lost a customer… They both then went to say that they will verify and call me back. 30 min later they called and apologized profusely saying that there was a glitch in their software. But this was not the end.

2. Right before giving the credit card info for a deposit, I asked SA to go over all the options with me over the phone. To my surprise the hitch option was not listed for the car they found for us in CA. SA advised me that they should be able to put it on at later time, but not now as this is not available at the moment as an option to be purchased after the car is built. Fine, deposit was given.

3. I had some free time over the weekend and I started searching on the forum about the MX. I found out that the Zero maintenance was a BS as there is no required maintenance but there is recommended one that cost about $2k over next 4 years (Model X plan is not available yet) and customers actually buy these as many updates/upgrades are performed during these annual service appointments.

4. Bumper to bumper extended warranty was also a big BS. I guess I should have caught this while being in the showroom as I never heard of such a thing about extended warranty (many items are never covered after the original manufacturer’s warranty is over). However, again, without doing a research and seeing how excited my wife and kids were I was truly thinking that may be Tesla is doing something that no other manufacturer did about the ESA (besides building a safe and fast all electric car). I emailed SA that weekend.

a. The following is my email communication with SA: Just wanted to confirm some of the details that we discussed during the purchase, to make sure we have the right understanding of out of pocket expenses. I've outlined what we heard from you below, please confirm. You advised us that there is no maintenance on the car and nothing is required or recommended except tire rotation. At the same time since the front and rear tires are different width that should not be needed also. You also advised us when we were shopping for the car that before the original manufacturer’s warranty expires; we can purchase additional bumper to bumper warranty from Tesla for $4000 that would cover us for a total of 8 years and 100,000 miles.

b. His response: Nothing is required but we recommend annual service. You can find more information regarding the Service Plans and extended warranty at the link here: Service plans . To confirm, the extended warranty is $4000 for the Model S. After speaking with service there has not yet been established for the Model X although I am sure it will be similar.

5. Well, this is still not an end. When we received the MVPA for the loan purposes, the following was stated under vehicle description: New – Previous, service/demo vehicle. (50 miles on the odometer). I immediately emailed him and the following was his reply:

a. The “New-previous/service/demo vehicle” just states that it is new and has not been titled yet. It has been in our use. This particular vehicle was assigned as a test drive/marketing vehicle but we intercepted it before it made it to its destination!

I started looking on the forums and found out that VINs 14xx range were given to customers with cars being delivered sometime last March. My VIN was in the 14xx range. So SA is saying that this car was in and out for last 4 months…

My apologies for such a long post but I am leaning towards just canceling the whole thing and either writing off $2,500 deposit that we were told now is not refundable or disputing it based on a chain of misinformation by Tesla SA (I have not signed loan papers yet). It is 12am here and I had 12 hour work days this week but I wanted to share my experience with Tesla purchase and I hope Tesla reads these forums more that other manufacturers read theirs. Again, if I am out of line, my apologies, but I never had such a negative experience with any of my purchases, especially with the most expensive car purchase I have ever made.

Sounds like you have a bad case of buyer remorse ... see my comments below :cool:
If you can overcome these pre-delivery issues, your wife will be a happy Model X owner!

Tesla misinformation …

Hello all. 2 weeks ago I purchased MX P90D for my wife. We got it at Highland Park, IL facility. After building the car on Tesla’s website while we were at the store, the SA (sales associate) was able to find one just the way we built it, except the $200 hitch option. Car was available in CA and is being shipped to IL plus we will not have to wait 4-5 months if we were to order it.

You may want to consider leasing if you change cars often.
We came from a long term Audi family where my wife would always drive SUVs and I drive sedans. Only recently we got into BMWs and have been very happy. Most of our cars are leased as we get tired of them quite fast. We were in the process of ordering BMW X5m and my wife asked to go look at the MX (car she was always thinking of buying) before we commit to another lease. We went to see MX with our two kids and everyone just fell in love with the car. We were so excited that we decided to buy it instead of leasing it, and keep it for 6+ years. One of the reasons is that my wife always talked about Tesla as the future of automotive industry and ease of upgradability over the air.

You are getting a significant discount on a new inventory car.
I typically perform good research about any new car that we lease but this purchase was done on a complete impulse, I know, $150k worth of impulse… The SA did give us $5,500 discount as this was “in stock vehicle” based on his description.

The two best selling points that made us buy this MX was the fact that we were told by the SA that there is absolutely no maintenance (except tire rotation and brakes) on the car and that after 4 years we can buy extended warranty for $4k. I asked SA if that is bumper to bumper warranty and he said “Yes”. I guess since I am a car guy I should have picked up the fact that I should double check everything he say as he did not know if the MX with 22” wheels that we ordered were staggered or square setup… Again, I was so completely blinded by the excitement that was given off by my wife and my young kids, that I completely gave in… Anyway, after we got home all hyped up, here is where disappointments started piling up:

The loan amount is always an estimate until your credit is checked.
1. SA called us back about putting a deposit of $2500 and when he told us that the monthly payments based on 78 month loan will be $170 more a month than we saw on Tesla website while shopping at the Tesla store. When I tried to inquire why there is such a difference (78 x $170 = $13,000) he replied that the pricing on the Tesla website is just an estimate. He got the manager involved and she kept saying the same thing, to what I said that they just lost a customer… They both then went to say that they will verify and call me back. 30 min later they called and apologized profusely saying that there was a glitch in their software. But this was not the end.

The hitch is a $200 option and can be added anytime.
2. Right before giving the credit card info for a deposit, I asked SA to go over all the options with me over the phone. To my surprise the hitch option was not listed for the car they found for us in CA. SA advised me that they should be able to put it on at later time, but not now as this is not available at the moment as an option to be purchased after the car is built. Fine, deposit was given.

The maintenance plan is up to you ... many owners skip it.
3. I had some free time over the weekend and I started searching on the forum about the MX. I found out that the Zero maintenance was a BS as there is no required maintenance but there is recommended one that cost about $2k over next 4 years (Model X plan is not available yet) and customers actually buy these as many updates/upgrades are performed during these annual service appointments.

The BTB warranty is for 4 years and you can purchase 4 additional years.
4. Bumper to bumper extended warranty was also a big BS. I guess I should have caught this while being in the showroom as I never heard of such a thing about extended warranty (many items are never covered after the original manufacturer’s warranty is over). However, again, without doing a research and seeing how excited my wife and kids were I was truly thinking that may be Tesla is doing something that no other manufacturer did about the ESA (besides building a safe and fast all electric car). I emailed SA that weekend.

a. The following is my email communication with SA: Just wanted to confirm some of the details that we discussed during the purchase, to make sure we have the right understanding of out of pocket expenses. I've outlined what we heard from you below, please confirm. You advised us that there is no maintenance on the car and nothing is required or recommended except tire rotation. At the same time since the front and rear tires are different width that should not be needed also. You also advised us when we were shopping for the car that before the original manufacturer’s warranty expires; we can purchase additional bumper to bumper warranty from Tesla for $4000 that would cover us for a total of 8 years and 100,000 miles.
b.
His response: Nothing is required but we recommend annual service. You can find more information regarding the Service Plans and extended warranty at the link here: Service plans . To confirm, the extended warranty is $4000 for the Model S. After speaking with service there has not yet been established for the Model X although I am sure it will be similar.

My Tesla inventory vehicle was listed with 50 miles estimated - the actual mileage was 5.
5. Well, this is still not an end. When we received the MVPA for the loan purposes, the following was stated under vehicle description: New – Previous, service/demo vehicle. (50 miles on the odometer). I immediately emailed him and the following was his reply:
a. The “New-previous/service/demo vehicle” just states that it is new and has not been titled yet. It has been in our use. This particular vehicle was assigned as a test drive/marketing vehicle but we intercepted it before it made it to its destination! I started looking on the forums and found out that VINs 14xx range were given to customers with cars being delivered sometime last March. My VIN was in the 14xx range. So SA is saying that this car was in and out for last 4 months…

If you can overcome these pre-delivery issues, your wife will be a happy owner!
My apologies for such a long post but I am leaning towards just canceling the whole thing and either writing off $2,500 deposit that we were told now is not refundable or disputing it based on a chain of misinformation by Tesla SA (I have not signed loan papers yet). It is 12am here and I had 12 hour work days this week but I wanted to share my experience with Tesla purchase and I hope Tesla reads these forums more that other manufacturers read theirs. Again, if I am out of line, my apologies, but I never had such a negative experience with any of my purchases, especially with the most expensive car purchase I have ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciaopec and Joelc
@FlatSix911 are you sure that the hitch can be added later? It was my understanding that it couldn't. Also, the extended warranty does not have the same coverage as the original 4 year warranty.

@ellisina4 : The maintenance is optional and they don't really do much in the way of upgrades. We've had two services done on our Model S and in retrospect we would have skipped the first one and only done the second (there are more things they check/change at 25k miles).

IMHO, and this comes from a tough on Tesla supporter, I would suggest that you go with a new MX especially if you have not physically seen the inventory MX that you are getting. Typically I would have said that you got a great discount for an inventory vehicle but i would be a bit weary of an early VIN like 14xx (that I have not had a chance to see and inspect visually). i am sure Tesla will be happy to apply the deposit towards a new one.

Alternatively lease the inventory car. Once again you can change your financing options before you take the delivery.

Sorry if it worsens your mental stress about the big decision. I know the feeling of being second guessed or second guessing on such a large purchase but trust me you will enjoy the ownership experience with all it's high and lows :)

Reactions: Ciaopec
There is zero need to buy their extended warranty plan. I have been an owner since 2013 and have had zero maintenance costs with my original S. I would take it in annually to get the once over and that was that. No cost, no issues. All updates still come your way regardless if you purchase this or not.

Truthfully though, you should not buy a Tesla, especially the new X. It sounds like you will not be able to handle the growing pains of a new company.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
There is zero need to buy their extended warranty plan. I have been an owner since 2013 and have had zero maintenance costs with my original S. I would take it in annually to get the once over and that was that. No cost, no issues. All updates still come your way regardless if you purchase this or not.

I think this is kinda misleading, too. Are you talking about the "Service Plan" or "Extended Service Agreement" (they're different things)?

After four years, if your MCU or instrument cluster breaks (they're just computers), you're in for a several thousand dollar repair. And those are just two parts. People have said there may be longevity issues with the smart air suspension, and those aren't cheap to replace either. The Falcon wing doors? Yikes, I wouldn't want those to break out of warranty. After four years, the only covered parts are the battery, motor, and inverter. Everything else is on your dime. It might not be true "bumper to bumper" as the factory warranty, but it does cover most things that would break.

For my Model S, I bought both the Service plan and ESA (warranty) for a total of $7800. That means my total cost per year, for *ALL* routine maintenance and warranty repairs for eight years works out to be just $975 per year (plus a $200 per visit charge for warranty repairs after year 4). I've owned several BMWs, and none of them clocked in at less than $1000 per year for ALL repairs and maintenance. Heck, just this week my BMW M5 is in the shop for a fuel float/sender/tank pump problem, and that's costing me $800 just to fix that. The power seat is broken too, $400.

Everyone makes their own call w/r/t to the service plan and ESA. I for one think it's good insurance that limits total dollar exposure for a new and growing car company.

Truthfully though, you should not buy a Tesla, especially the new X. It sounds like you will not be able to handle the growing pains of a new company.
I'm confused--you said you had no cost for maintenance but took it in annually for the "once over." The annual service isn't free so what exactly did you have done every year?

Sounds like an extreme case of buyer's remorse, you may experience a few issues here and there after receiving your car but Tesla has been great to deal with. I have had nothing but excellent customer service/communication. It is an expensive vehicle no doubt, BUT there's absolutely nothing like it on the road today.

It's a great car. Lots of he said she said nonsense. Just deal with it. Get the car it is unbelievably worth it.

To the OP this may sound a bit flippant, but I also think it is well worth dealing with Tesla's mis-communication issues in order to own and drive a Tesla. They are a young company struggling to keep up with their rapid growth. They are famous for poor communications with customers, and internally with their own employees. This results in getting bad information from lower level employees, many of which are new and don't know as much about Tesla as people here at TMC. I think Tesla will get better at with time, but it likely will take several years.

It is something owners have to deal with for now, but it is very rare to find a owner that does not think it is worth it.

GSP

IMHO, and this comes from a tough on Tesla supporter, I would suggest that you go with a new MX especially if you have not physically seen the inventory MX that you are getting. Typically I would have said that you got a great discount for an inventory vehicle but i would be a bit weary of an early VIN like 14xx (that I have not had a chance to see and inspect visually). i am sure Tesla will be happy to apply the deposit towards a new one.

Alternatively lease the inventory car. Once again you can change your financing options before you take the delivery.

Sorry if it worsens your mental stress about the big decision. I know the feeling of being second guessed or second guessing on such a large purchase but trust me you will enjoy the ownership experience with all it's high and lows :)

To the OP this may sound a bit flippant, but I also think it is well worth dealing with Tesla's mis-communication issues in order to own and drive a Tesla. They are a young company struggling to keep up with their rapid growth. They are famous for poor communications with customers, and internally with their own employees. This results in getting bad information from lower level employees, many of which are new and don't know as much about Tesla as people here at TMC. I think Tesla will get better at with time, but it likely will take several years.

It is something owners have to deal with for now, but it is very rare to find a owner that does not think it is worth it.

GSP

I could not say any better what these guys have said. Nothing is perfect but I have been a lot happier in my Tesla than in any other car I have owned (including, but not limited to Lexus, Benz, BMW). It is an exciting piece of technology. When all else fails, and you're feeling blue, floor it!

Tesla misinformation …

The two best selling points that made us buy this MX was the fact that we were told by the SA that there is absolutely no maintenance (except tire rotation and brakes) on the car and that after 4 years we can buy extended warranty for $4k. I asked SA if that is bumper to bumper warranty and he said “Yes”. I guess since I am a car guy I should have picked up the fact that I should double check everything he say as he did not know if the MX with 22” wheels that we ordered were staggered or square setup… Again, I was so completely blinded by the excitement that was given off by my wife and my young kids, that I completely gave in…

Anyway, after we got home all hyped up, here is where disappointments started piling up:

b. His response: Nothing is required but we recommend annual service. You can find more information regarding the Service Plans and extended warranty at the link here: Service plans . To confirm, the extended warranty is $4000 for the Model S. After speaking with service there has not yet been established for the Model X although I am sure it will be similar.

a. The “New-previous/service/demo vehicle” just states that it is new and has not been titled yet. It has been in our use. This particular vehicle was assigned as a test drive/marketing vehicle but we intercepted it before it made it to its destination!

I started looking on the forums and found out that VINs 14xx range were given to customers with cars being delivered sometime last March. My VIN was in the 14xx range. So SA is saying that this car was in and out for last 4 months…

The Tesla sales people are under tremendous pressure to sell the car, so there may have been some "exaggerations". If you like the vehicle, why don't you go back to a lease? That let's you off the hook for problems after the warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
I'm confused--you said you had no cost for maintenance but took it in annually for the "once over." The annual service isn't free so what exactly did you have done every year?

I took mine in and had them look it over and nothing was wrong so no charge...I should clarify, the normal rotate wheels, etc... there was a small fee as with any car and any service, but I am speaking to actual maintenance of the car that would require an extended warranty. Sorry for the confusion.

I think this is kinda misleading, too. Are you talking about the "Service Plan" or "Extended Service Agreement" (they're different things)?

After four years, if your MCU or instrument cluster breaks (they're just computers), you're in for a several thousand dollar repair. And those are just two parts. People have said there may be longevity issues with the smart air suspension, and those aren't cheap to replace either. The Falcon wing doors? Yikes, I wouldn't want those to break out of warranty. After four years, the only covered parts are the battery, motor, and inverter. Everything else is on your dime. It might not be true "bumper to bumper" as the factory warranty, but it does cover most things that would break.

For my Model S, I bought both the Service plan and ESA (warranty) for a total of $7800. That means my total cost per year, for *ALL* routine maintenance and warranty repairs for eight years works out to be just $975 per year (plus a $200 per visit charge for warranty repairs after year 4). I've owned several BMWs, and none of them clocked in at less than $1000 per year for ALL repairs and maintenance. Heck, just this week my BMW M5 is in the shop for a fuel float/sender/tank pump problem, and that's costing me $800 just to fix that. The power seat is broken too, $400.

Everyone makes their own call w/r/t to the service plan and ESA. I for one think it's good insurance that limits total dollar exposure for a new and growing car company.

I am speaking to both...and basically you have just bought insurance for a potential issue that might come up. I was lucky and did not have any issues from 2013 to present. You are correct, it is each persons own call, in my opinion I would rather 'self insure' and roll the dice on a potential repair. For me I saved the $7,800 it would have cost and any issue that would have come up would have been under warranty. I also would never dream of keeping the car past warranty....hence the reason I purchased the Model X and sold the S.

Buying a new Model S or Model X every four years is going to cost you a lot more than $7800, so you might not be buying the SP/ESA, but you're spending a hell of a lot more money to avoid needing it. I love my Model S and plan on keeping it as long as possible, and that includes the annual service (includes preventative maintenance), service upgrades, and the warranty.

The loan amount is always an estimate until your credit is checked.

The website pricing should in no way be an estimate; they sell cars online at fixed prices and even the discounts are based on a set formula. As I recall there was an additional shipping fee for CPO purchased from another region so perhaps this was added to your car.

My early model has a list of feature codes which is not correct so the CPO database may have inaccuracies. While you may get through these early irritations steel yourself for the dispassionate decision to not accept the car if it does not have all the features advertised and agreed upon. IMHO, you have your hook on a great car at a discounted price, reel it in and you will drive away smiling.

Adding to your dilemma, I nearly cancelled by P85D delivery of an inventory car (1900 miles) when there were a handful of issues that were not apparent in their photos, including a tiny dent. I ended out taking it, with minor heart palpitations, mostly because I had already paid for the car and had no alternate transportation available. Really bad reason to accept delivery, I know...

Now 15 months and 25,000 miles later I am thrilled with my car. It is now officially the primary car I have had the longest in my life (disclosure: my spouse has kept hers as long as ten years) and I have no plans to change. I did buy the service contract even though I know the 12,500 mile services are not required, but I always have exceeded manufacturers recommendations. On the other hand I have habitually owned Ferrari, Maserati and other vehicles not noted for maintenance simplicity. Among those was even an NSU RO80 that had rotor changes with nearly every fuel topoff.

All that irrelevancy is only to point out that having a Tesla will had oddities that will be different, such as software updates. The Service Centers are almost always very helpful, but some workers are always new and learning themselves. Now I realize I know more about the car than do most of the employees, excluding long-time service advisors and mechanics.

The sales staff almost never are better informed than that typically are in car dealerships. My rule is never to take anything a sales person says with greater authority than I would the words of a campaigning politician.

If anything here is something hard for you to accept I recommend against taking delivery.

Buying a new Model S or Model X every four years is going to cost you a lot more than $7800, so you might not be buying the SP/ESA, but you're spending a hell of a lot more money to avoid needing it. I love my Model S and plan on keeping it as long as possible, and that includes the annual service (includes preventative maintenance), service upgrades, and the warranty.

haha, touche!