Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile App for Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for the charging numbers on the Tesla Mobile IOS App. I have noticed many times the app will say 0 mi/hr but after closing the app 3/4 times, then it will display the proper mi/hr that is displayed in the car's center screen. My current set up is using the UMC plugged into a NEMA 6-50 outlet. I am getting 240V and set the car to 26 amps (circuit breaker is only 30 amps for that outlet). Anyone else notice this?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for the charging numbers on the Tesla Mobile IOS App. I have noticed many times the app will say 0 mi/hr but after closing the app 3/4 times, then it will display the proper mi/hr that is displayed in the car's center screen. My current set up is using the UMC plugged into a NEMA 6-50 outlet. I am getting 240V and set the car to 26 amps (circuit breaker is only 30 amps for that outlet). Anyone else notice this?

Thank you.
If the breaker is only 30 amps then the charging session should be set to no more than 80% (24 amps.) If the wire gauge is correct for a 50 amp circuit why is there a 30 amp breaker? If the wire gauge is only rated for 30 amps then the receptacle should be changed.

I find this one of those fascinating "tip of the iceberg" things. Like someone asks a question about a software app or about driving efficiency and just happens to make some small reference to their charging setup, which reveals some messed up, bad installation, which people rightly focus on. How many more messed up DIY installations are lurking out there that just haven't been revealed from people mentioning or asking questions about them yet?

If the breaker is only 30 amps then the charging session should be set to no more than 80% (24 amps.) If the wire gauge is correct for a 50 amp circuit why is there a 30 amp breaker? If the wire gauge is only rated for 30 amps then the receptacle should be changed.
Hello Jcanoe,

I have these same questions, this outlet was installed from the previous owners, my only guess is that they were going to install a dryer, Stove/Oven, or AC unit. The actual outlet can accept 50 amps and wiring to handle that is a 6 gauge cable. Maybe I can call my local electrician and they can just change the 30 amp breaker to a 50. I wish I had those answers!

Hello Jcanoe,

I have these same questions, this outlet was installed from the previous owners, my only guess is that they were going to install a dryer, Stove/Oven, or AC unit. The actual outlet can accept 50 amps and wiring to handle that is a 6 gauge cable. Maybe I can call my local electrician and they can just change the 30 amp breaker to a 50. I wish I had those answers!
It would be best to have a licensed electrician evaluate the existing electrical service in the home and then determine what can be done with the charging circuit and make any needed changes to the circuit breaker or the receptacle so that it meets code.

If the electrician determines after performing a load calculation that the home's electrical service cannot support an additional 50A circuit then perhaps a 40A breaker can be used. If the panel cannot support more than the 30A breaker that is currently installed on the charging circuit then the receptacle should be changed to a something like a 14-30. If there is capacity for a 50A circuit and the wire is up to code for 50A then a 50A breaker is correct. Depending on the local code a 14-50 receptacle may require a 50A GFCI breaker (about $100.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H