Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile Connector Gen 2 - The Risks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some general questions about safety and the Tesla mobile connector Gen 2, i'm based in the UK.

Pen Faults:
if there is a pen fault on an tnc-s system would the Tesla mobile connector (3 pin plug) even be able supply live to the car? according to the mobile connector manual it can detect a loss of ground. Would love some details on the safety features of the mobile connector.

From what i can see the risks seem higher using a 3 pin plug to charge the car that using a dedicated charge point that professionally installed.

DC Leakage:

Does the mobile connector have any inbuilt dc leakage protection?

Thanks

I have some general questions about safety and the Tesla mobile connector Gen 2, i'm based in the UK.

Pen Faults:
if there is a pen fault on an tnc-s system would the Tesla mobile connector (3 pin plug) even be able supply live to the car? according to the mobile connector manual it can detect a loss of ground. Would love some details on the safety features of the mobile connector.

From what i can see the risks seem higher using a 3 pin plug to charge the car that using a dedicated charge point that professionally installed.

DC Leakage:

Thanks
As far as I'm aware there are no reports of anybody using the 3 pin charging lead being electrocuted anywhere in the world? If the adaptor posed a risk in any way it would not be supplied with the vehicle. Risk is relevant but the big problem from my experience is the description (professionally installed) as that in itself brings in an associated risk as to who declares themselves to be professionally competent and is it actually this documented competent person who is actually installing the equipment?

Pen Faults:

DC Leakage:

Thanks

Each of the approximately 2 million Teslas came with a UMC. I suspect that a professionally installed fixed charge point that meets the latest regulations (they change over time and vary from country to country) will have additional layers of safety. This could therefore mean that, technically, the risk of charging from a 3 pin plug is higher. However, this is not the same as saying that the UMC is unsafe when used as per the manual. Despite the potential for electric shocks (pun intended) and even electrocution when charging an EV there has been a remarkable dearth of examples of injury or death (any brand not just Teslas).

There will be a day where someone fits a 3 pin plug in their shower, plugs their car in and then indulges in a long, hot, steamy shower. They will die of electrocution caused by pure stupidity. The outcome will be international condemnation of electric cars, investigations galore and the introduction of millions and millions more “safety” regulations. There is no limit to how stupid a human can be, and common sense isn’t a thing anymore.

Read the instructions, follow them, if it doesn’t work, book it in and it will get fixed.