Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Based off this, would you live in a Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I want to live in a Tesla.

Compiled research checklist of what I got so far, for the advantages of this. Was looking into Tesla Model S with lease. In which I would get employee discount on lease, (I work for Tesla) but since I'm going to be driving a lot, lease isn't really an option for when I go over allotted miles, its $0.25/per mile. Now I'm looking into Financing Tesla Model X. Model X having more room, and has option for folding seats, which makes X more feasible for this over The S.

Tesla Mobile Home (Advantages & Ideas)

Inexpensive Charging / Free Charging at Tesla Factory/ Free Charging everywhere with referral code.
Utilize Cheap / Free Electric for heating, air conditioning, powering devices.
Inexpensive Tesla Car Insurance, through Liberty Mutual Insurance partnership.
Little to no maintenance.
Pay no Rent.
Park and locate wherever I want to practically.
Good overnight parking locations include Tesla Supercharging Station with 24/7 Bathroom Access and Future Stations with Lounges. Tesla Factory. Air National Guard Facility. (Enlisting with Air National Guard) Gym. All the latter provide access to Gym's Cafeterias, Bathrooms, Showering Facilities.
Save money on commutes with no paying for gas.
More convenient driving for long commutes with Tesla Autopilot.
Utilize Camper Mode, to be able to charge car, charge devices, keep climate control on, dim to no lights, while sleeping in vehicle.
One of safest cars from accidents ever made.
One of most secure cars ever made.
Possibly purchase fold out tent based on roof to black out all windows.
Utilize Official Panoramic Sunshades Model S - @ Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades or Fixed Glass Sunshade @ Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade Rear LIftgate Sunshade @ Model S Rear Liftgate Sunshade or Car Cover @ Model S Car Cover Model X -
Great 3rd Party Window Shades @ Model S - 2X Universal Car Sun Shade Side Window Curtain Foldable Sunshade UV Protection | eBay 2X Universal Car Sun Shade Side Window Curtain Foldable Sunshade UV Protection Model X -
Heat Shield @ Model S - Tesla Model S Custom "Heatshield" Sunshade Review Model X -
2 Preferable Features - Enhanced Interior & Sunroof
Sunroof great to keep car cool, therefore saving electric.
Enhanced & Full Auto Pilot is more convenient way of driving.
When I want more room, use Tent system similar to this @ Tent Camping in a Model S Can still keep climate control on which will connect to tent.
Comfort, use either combination of mats/single mattress, blow up matress, or blankets.
Will have access to Military Camp Grounds with military discount.
Some National Forests allow free parking up to 14 days.
Military Discounts on everyday things will bring my expenses down.
People who have lived in cars. @ Tesla - A 24-year-old Tesla engineer lived in a van for 5 months and paid off his $14,000 of student loans Google - A 23-year-old Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot and saves 90% of his income General Tips @ How to Live in Your Car
Official Camping Mode Update - Oct 2017 @ Article - Tesla is releasing software update with new convenience features, enabling ‘real camper mode’ Old Video - Easy Instructions to use Tesla Camping Mode in your Vehicle
Camping Tips @ I Went Camping in the Trunk of a $145,000 Tesla Camping iOS App - Camper for Tesla on the App Store
Can use Microwave in car using AC Wall Outlet, as well as portable electric heater/cooler.
Storage space in my locker at Air National Guard Base.
Instead of parking in location over night, will eventually be able to set car on certain path in which it drives itself to fall asleep to.
Will bring expenses down by being able to put vehicle on Tesla Network to do fares and generate money for me.
When doing weekend Military drills, will have access to hotel, by keeping my home address farther then 100 miles from base.
Sources of Income from Vehicle; Model X - Taxi/Uber/Lyft, Uber - Utilize Uber Black in which I will receive premium pay. Have 6 or 7 Seat Option to be able to have more people and generate more revenue. AirBNB of Vehicle. Christmas Model X Dance Events. Tesla Public Fleet.
“Sublet Vehicle” For AirBNB Charge Premium, enough to stay at a Hotel and also profit at same time. Choose Hotel with Tesla Destination Charger in which I can have Vehicle charged and ready to go for renters. And they could stay in Vehicle at Destination Charger overnight, advantage being that Vehicle would be close to me. And also when they bring back Vehicle I can charge it from Hotel to get where I need to go. AirBNB already has vehicles on service, in which people pay a premium for experience of staying in a vehicle. From what I could tell, none as luxurious as Tesla Model X. So I could charge even more of a premium. Do more research on vehicles with AirBNB. And research other vehicle subletting services.
Good for Uber, Have TV Mounted to ceiling behind front seats, but in front of 2nd row of seats centered at Optimum Angle. Have it set up so it folds upward and hides in ceiling of Vehicle. Hav built-in Smart TV Software, and connected TV devices with cabling hidden or blended in well aesthetically. And the devices themselves hidden well, or blended aesthetically. Have streaming services available for them to utilize. Have 5 Pairs of Wireless Over The Ear Headphones that are connected to TV. Will also have connector to plug in directly to Phones & Tablets.
Hotspot - Either use T-Mobile, hopefully unlimited Data for Hotspot will be available. Satellite Internet Provider, in which I modify so I can utilize with my vehicle. Or at time Starlink, service from SpaceX will be available.
Uber Black - Because I Drive Luxury Vehicle, thats also black. Uber's 'executive' luxury service. UberSelect: A luxury sedan that seats up to 4 riders. UberXL: Seats at least 6 passengers. UberX: The least expensive Uber service. More Different Uber’s & Requirements - Uber Cars: Your Guide to the Various Types of Uber Cars - Ridester.com Ride share Insurance - The Definitive Guide to Rideshare Insurance
Have Curtains with Curtain Rod separating sections of Vehicle for Privacy. Have one between up front drivers section and passenger seats, in front of TV. Would allow passengers privacy. Me privacy when Back there. Prevent glare on TV.
Being able to fold seats in certain way to form bed. - Research Required.
Heated Seats to keep me warm.
Have hybrid sink/toilet in Back corner of Vehicle. Use Tank of water above, which feeds into base, that then filters into another tank. Using to wash, and possibly urinate. Possibly #2 with enough pressure and right tank. Would need something to contain smell, and noise of system. Have toilet seat that folds down over base area. Need place to dump waste. Research Needed.
Finance with 10 Year Loan. Would keep monthly payments affordable. Need to research institutions that would provide such loan, in which I qualify for. Preferably Military Credit/Banks would be easier to qualify. Send email to Tesla Financing and Executive requesting official Tesla 10 Year Loan. Current maximum is 7 years. Point out that Solar with company can be financed with 10 or 20 Year Loans. As well as The Tesla Powerwall Battery 2, can also be financed with 10 or 20 Year Loan. In which battery uses same technology as Batteries in Vehicle. And with 20 Year Powerwall Loan, Battery gets replaced. Can utilize something similar for vehicles in which Battery is replaced after X amount of time. Current Tesla’s are designed to last 15 Good Years, probably longer. Willing to make $10,000-$15,000 Down Payment to keep monthly’s low.
To keep Monthly’s Low, get as little upgrades as possible when initially buying the vehicle, in which I can later pay for after getting the vehicle, in which I will either pay in full, for similar price, or a little bit of premium. Use Tax Credits to pay for features. Features Example - AutoPilot and Enhanced AutoPilot are software which can be paid for later. Possibly Seats upgrade can be done Post as well. Research required.
Tax Credits. Federal Government gives $7,500. And New York State gives $1,000. Research Needed to check if I could receive credits in time, before Tesla utilizes them all. And verify amount New York State gives.
Amount of time Living in Vehicle. Already barely have to stay in my current vehicle - Nissan Sentra. By utilizing Friends and Family as sources of shelter. Will be harder at first to do this when I wll be working in new area 500 miles from home. Will eventually make new friends in which to utilize shelter. Will have shelter one weekend per month at hotel when drilling with Air National Guard. By keeping Home Address as listed as parents home over 100 miles away. Possibly gain access to Barracks to be able to utilize shelter at base full time or more often. Utilize Hotels when subletting Vehicle.
Utilize Tesla Superchargers as overnight parking solution. Not suspicious that Tesla is at charging station. Once Vehicle is fully charged, unplug charger as to remain in spot, and not be charged for going over limit. If anyone asks, also say, “Work for Tesla” Utilize charging Stations that will have lounges, and also come with 24/7 Bathroom Access.
For first Ride share, give free Voss Water, Snack, and some Tesla Swag. Also do same for other numbered milestones.
Have food vending service available in car for customers in part of ride sharing service.
Screen Mirror phone to TV on one of inputs which will allow driver to see navigation details. Like distance and time from destination. And current location.
Slideshow automatically plays in loop when passenger enter vehicle. Giving them basic info and tutorial on me, features of Vehicle, and amenities available to them during ride.
Alexa / Google Assistant integration. Will allow me and guests to control vehicle and amenities inside of.
Upgrade speakers to allow vehicle to play music well externally. By possibly using existing external speakers. One(s) that power horn, to play quality music when your outside vehicle. Research Needed.
Electric Bicycle that’s either compact or folds up. Can be charged from vehicle. Will allow me to go short distances when needed, without having to move vehicle. Will allow me to get to and where I need to be when subletting Vehicle. Research Needed

As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into this. Let me know if you guys have any tips, or followups to my points in which I said, "Research Needed"

And as you can see from this thread, I'm not the first person whose thought about doing this. See "Living out of my Model S" thread from just.ross.things @ Living out of my Model S | Tesla

These are the topics I'm going to be doing research on within the next few days.

• Commercial Insurance for certain Uber Types. Whether Tesla Liberty Mutual Insurance Partnership supports this.

• Ridesharing Insurance. Whether Tesla Liberty Mutual Insurance Partnership supports this.

• Toilet/Sink hybrid for Vehicle. Disposing of Waste. Finding place to fill up water tank.

• Bonus for signing up to be Uber/Lyft Driver. As well as referral bonus.

• Tesla Referral Rewards.

• Tents for Tesla Model X.

• Subletting Model X through AirBNB and other Subletting Services.

• How many AC Outlets.

• Storage space after adding additional seats in vehicle.

• How sears fold down. Can they be folded on certain way to form bed.

• Heated Seats features.

• Mini-Fridge in Vehicle.

• Clothes Hangar.

• Curtains with big Curtain Bar separating sections of Vehicle.

• Pictures of Model X being utilized for camping. Seats folding.

• People using Tesla for Ride-Sharing services.

• Types of ride sharing services Tesla Model X supports.

• Different versions of Lyft

• Ride sharing Driver Driver Tips

• Upgrade speakers to allow vehicle to play music well externally. By possibly using existing external speakers. One(s) that power horn, to play quality music when your outside vehicle

• Electric Bicycle that’s either compact or folds up. Can be charged from vehicle. Will allow me to go short distances when needed, without having to move vehicle. Will allow me to get to and where I need to be when subletting Vehicle