Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla mobile service replaced 12V lead acid battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Tesla mobile service replace my 12V lead-acid battery. Scheduling was through the Tesla App. I selected a day and timespan (noon to 5pm). He arrived a few minutes after noon.

It literally took him 4 minutes to do the entire process:
  1. I opened the frunk
  2. I opened driver's door (just in case)
  3. I turned off the air conditioning
  4. He removed the full-width wide plastic panel covering lead acid battery
  5. Using a power driver, he loosened two bolts
  6. Removed the old 12V lead acid battery (Atlas)
  7. Installed a new 12V lead acid battery (Atlas; looks the same as the old one)
  8. Put back the plastic panel
I'm mentioning this because I thought they needed to disconnect the 400V orange connector under the rear seat. But he didn't; and the car seems happy with the new battery.

21,000 miles. Total cost to me was $0
:)

The hilariously funny thing is that he didn't come in a Tesla mobile (ICE) service van. He said it had broken down, so he arrived in his personal Model S. He pulled my new battery out of his trunk and got right to work.

This was my first experience with Tesla mobile service. Gold star 🏆 and absolutely fantastic in not needing to take my car to a shop; especially since I live out in the country about an hour from the nearest Tesla Service Center.

Scott

PS The Central Valley eats lead acid batteries; it was 118 last week. My ICE lead acid batteries only last for 3 years, so I don't fault the Tesla. This hot dry environment is just hard on lead acid batteries.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I've proactively changed out my Model Y battery in a little over 2 years from date of built. It was out of warranty and this was an out of pocket expense. I would recommend doing this like clock work. Just so happened my 2018 model X second battery went out 2 years and 2 months from the last time it was changed. I'm now a true believer they should be changed out every two years. You can purchase these batteries from a tesla service center. I believe they are much cheaper than what you would find out in town.

I've proactively changed out my Model Y battery in a little over 2 years from date of built. It was out of warranty and this was an out of pocket expense. I would recommend doing this like clock work. Just so happened my 2018 model X second battery went out 2 years and 2 months from the last time it was changed. I'm now a true believer they should be changed out every two years. You can purchase these batteries from a tesla service center. I believe they are much cheaper than what you would find out in town.
What was the mileage when you changed the 12V battery?

A month ago, I asked one of the Service guys at Tesla-Dublin (California) what is the most common issue with the MY. He told me it is the 12V battery, as he has seem a number of failure in the last month ! He said that this will be solved soon when Tesla shifts to a Li Ion 12V battery.

Reactions: e645824
You can purchase the replacement Tesla OE Atlas 12V lead-acid battery from Tesla (contact the Tesla Service Center via the Tesla app.) The price for the battery, excluding installation, is ~$85 US plus tax.
I got the warning last week that my 2016 MS 75D needs a new battery (first one still.) I was quoted $165 for the battery + $51 for mobile install. Looks like an easy job so if I can get one for $85 I'd probably do it myself.

I'm curious why the parts on the estimate is $165 vs $85.

Anyone got a recommendation for a 3rd party battery if cheaper/better than Tesla?

I got the warning last week that my 2016 MS 75D needs a new battery (first one still.) I was quoted $165 for the battery + $51 for mobile install. Looks like an easy job so if I can get one for $85 I'd probably do it myself.

I'm curious why the parts on the estimate is $165 vs $85.

Anyone got a recommendation for a 3rd party battery if cheaper/better than Tesla?
The S/X takes a different battery than the 3/Y. The battery in the MX was a 12V, ATLASBX,B19 AT $165 according to my invoice.

I believe that there is some sort of issue with the lead-acid batteries (or possibly the charging system?). I've never had a new vehicle eat through batteries as quickly as my Model Y does. The original battery lasted almost 2 years, which I think was good/standard (1st battery was replaced under warranty). From there the battery longevity has taken a dive. The replacement battery lasted about 1.5 weeks (2nd battery also replaced under warranty). The third battery is now dying and needs to be replaced (I assume it will be under warranty, it lasted 5 months). I'm now waiting for battery #4...and the car is just over two years old. No "accessories" on the car that use power, it's always garaged, and driven somewhat regularly, not every day but a few times a week at least (less than 19k miles).

Reactions: Zinjan
In regard to changing the 12V yourself...does the car need to be powered off when switching out the 12V? Also, is the 9V trick behind the front bumper always required when the 12V dies? I was under the impression that you could not open the frunk if the 12V dies.

When the 12V battery fails you can only open the frunk by applying a 12V power source such as a jump starter (i.e. 9V battery is OK) to the leads behind the tow hook connection cover. After opening the frunk you need to remove the plastic shroud cover to access the 12V battery. You need to connect a 12V power source such as a jump starter to the 12V battery leads to wake up the Tesla Model Y. Once the Tesla Model Y powers on, use Sentry Mode or Camp mode to keep the Tesla vehicle powered on until the 12V can be replaced.

There are videos that show replacing the 12V battery requires disconnecting the high voltage connector located underneath the passenger side second row seat. I've read accounts where Tesla Mobile Service replaced the 12V without performing this step. Tesla Mobile Service can come to your home or work location to perform this repair; takes them ~10 minutes.

Reactions: Villainthrpist
I believe that there is some sort of issue with the lead-acid batteries (or possibly the charging system?). I've never had a new vehicle eat through batteries as quickly as my Model Y does. The original battery lasted almost 2 years, which I think was good/standard (1st battery was replaced under warranty). From there the battery longevity has taken a dive. The replacement battery lasted about 1.5 weeks (2nd battery also replaced under warranty). The third battery is now dying and needs to be replaced (I assume it will be under warranty, it lasted 5 months). I'm now waiting for battery #4...and the car is just over two years old. No "accessories" on the car that use power, it's always garaged, and driven somewhat regularly, not every day but a few times a week at least (less than 19k miles).
2015 Model S P85D, just shy of 100,000km. I had my 12V AGM replaced with the new Lithium version November 2022. 2 weeks later I had to have the Pyro Fuse replaced and a new cover on the HV battery, and they replaced the 12V battery again. December 2022, coolant flooded my garage, someone forgot to put back the hose clamp I guess, no charge to fix, new lithum battery installed. Now, on Monday the 23rd I get the following codes.

DI_w062 power reduced service is required
BMS_u008 Acceleration and top speed reduced performance may be restored on next drive

Service isn't till the 31st, this thing is slow as heck, limited to 100Kw.
Regen is fine, charge to %100 no problem, I suspect the battery is again faulty (perhaps charge cct?).
I regularly take long trips on weekends and get below %5 range remaining when pulling into SC's.

I asked the Service Center that when I take it in, and its the 12V battery, I want the Lead Acid.