Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had Tesla Mobile Service out and I will say it is night and day to going to a SC. So much more personable and the guy knew so much about the company. Even though the service was short he gave me time to ask questions and had an actual conversation with me.

Kuddos to Telsa and the mobile service tech for this great idea.

Anyone in Central NJ I also found out that the Princeton SC is close to opening. The mobile tech said he was just there and it is nearly finished. No more driving to Cherry Hill!

Reactions: KenC
How do you pick mobile over SC appointments?

I believe it is based on your service. Some service can only be done in a SC.

One other thing. I talked to him about using automatic car washes. He said the main issue is the car is not supposed to be automatically pulled. Could damage the motor.

He said paint is an issue as well but looked over my car and said I actually have a pretty decent paint job so that part shouldn't be much of an issue.

Basically said up to me to bring it through auto car wash. Sounded like if you do it infrequently it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Disclaimer: For all those out there that swear by hand washing, please understand that touchless car washes are almost nonexistent in NJ, they will not get all the grime off the car in the winter, and it is way too cold to wash my car outside in the winter so I really have no choice.

Have a great day! :)

Car washes can be tricky in a Tesla - you need to put it in neutral (which isn't difficult but you should practice first to make sure you know how to do it) and then make sure you stay in the seat the entire time through the wash. If the pressure sensor detects that the weight is no longer in the seat, it will switch to park automatically (with potentially disastrous consequences). You also need to turn off auto wipers.

Non-touchless car washes will cause swirls on your paint, which is why most people say they won't take their Tesla's through one. Some people claim Tesla's have "softer" paint than other brands due to Californian environmental laws, but I'm not really convinced that's true. I've never seen any actual scientific proof, and any other car brand will get the same swirls when going through a car wash.

If you have a garage, look into Optimum No Rinse, I use it to wash my car during the winter. Sometimes I need to take it to a manual car wash first so I can pressure wash off the ice and muck.

Car washes can be tricky in a Tesla - you need to put it in neutral (which isn't difficult but you should practice first to make sure you know how to do it) and then make sure you stay in the seat the entire time through the wash. If the pressure sensor detects that the weight is no longer in the seat, it will switch to park automatically (with potentially disastrous consequences). You also need to turn off auto wipers.

Non-touchless car washes will cause swirls on your paint, which is why most people say they won't take their Tesla's through one. Some people claim Tesla's have "softer" paint than other brands due to Californian environmental laws, but I'm not really convinced that's true. I've never seen any actual scientific proof, and any other car brand will get the same swirls when going through a car wash.

If you have a garage, look into Optimum No Rinse, I use it to wash my car during the winter. Sometimes I need to take it to a manual car wash first so I can pressure wash off the ice and muck.

Yeah, unfortunately I cannot go through the wash. However, the place has someone sit in the car and they take it through. They have done many Teslas.

This non-touchless is really great it uses a material called NeoGlide. Just flops on the car and is nonabrasive. I took it through once and not one swirl on the car.

I do have a waterless car wash that I bought. However, my garage is pretty darn tiny so hard to get the entire car without hitting the wall or something. Still pretty cold as it is not a heated garage.

Thanks for the advice. Tesla owners seem to be the nicest I have dealt with over the years of owning cars.

My main concern with the non-touchless washes is I have no idea how often the brushes are cleaned and whether or not a mud covered Jeep just got back from an off-roading trip and left a bunch of rocks stuck to them. Never heard of NeoGlide, but if it works that's great. There are definitely times I would prefer to just run through the car wash instead of doing it by hand, but so far I've resisted temptation...

My main concern with the non-touchless washes is I have no idea how often the brushes are cleaned and whether or not a mud covered Jeep just got back from an off-roading trip and left a bunch of rocks stuck to them. Never heard of NeoGlide, but if it works that's great. There are definitely times I would prefer to just run through the car wash instead of doing it by hand, but so far I've resisted temptation...

I hear ya.

Read about the Neoglide technology here. Pretty good stuff.

Neoglide

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
Optimum No rinse - $15 on amazon
microfiber towels - $20 from costco
High quality wash sponges - $15 from amazon
two 5 gallon buckets - $5 a piece from home depot

rinse off the grime first with a hose then use the 2 bucket method - work section by section, drying off each section as soon as you scrub it.

takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes and can be the highlight of your week with the right beer and the right tunes

Reactions: KerryOH
Optimum No rinse - $15 on amazon
microfiber towels - $20 from costco
High quality wash sponges - $15 from amazon
two 5 gallon buckets - $5 a piece from home depot

rinse off the grime first with a hose then use the 2 bucket method - work section by section, drying off each section as soon as you scrub it.

takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes and can be the highlight of your week with the right beer and the right tunes

When its 10 degrees out.. no thanks

Here's a random question related to the Mobile Service. Are we supposed to tip them at the end of the work? I had one come two times for minor things and I chatted with him while he was working but I couldn't tell if he was expecting something before he left.