Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Moble Charging Cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed they've changed the design of the charging cables since I bought my S some 7 1/2 years ago. It's a completely new set of cables and I'm wondering what the differences are and why. Will I be able to use my original charging cables (Gen 1) with my Y or will I need to buy a new adapter bundle and connector bundle? I currently use a Nema 14-30 connector on my mobile charger.

I noticed they've changed the design of the charging cables since I bought my S some 7 1/2 years ago. It's a completely new set of cables and I'm wondering what the differences are and why. Will I be able to use my original charging cables (Gen 1) with my Y or will I need to buy a new adapter bundle and connector bundle? I currently use a Nema 14-30 connector on my mobile charger.

I have never seen the Gen 1 adapters and cables, however, ShopTesla.com has pictures of both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 adaptors. They look completely different (circular for Gen 1 and oblong with a dongle cable for Gen 2). If you want to use a Nema 14-30 plug and the UMC that comes standard with the Y, it would seem that you would need to purchase the 14-30 adaptor for $35. I don't see why you would need the whole adapter bundle based on the scenario in your post. If I misunderstood the intent of your post, I apologize.

I'm guessing there's a reason they created a Gen 2, so I'm wondering if anyone knows why and if there's a charging "penalty" or issue with the Gen 1 that could cause it not to work with the Y. If I have 2 sets of cables then I can keep one in the car permanently and one in the garage where I charge on a regular basis (avoids the forgetful factor when I go on a trip or to family).

1. First question: compatibility
All of the Tesla charge cables are compatible with all Tesla cars. Old with new, new with old, etc. Any combination will work. So no, you don't need to buy a new cable. You have the old Gen1 from your old car, and the Y will come with one of the newer Gen2 cables, but either one will work with either car. The adapters are not the same shape, though, so those are not interchangeable. If you want to use the new charge cable, you would need to buy one of the new 14-30 adapter plugs for it to plug it into your existing outlet.

2. Second question: What's the difference?
The Gen2 UMC was introduced with the Model 3 a few years ago, and it's Tesla scaling down in cost and materials. You will see that the cable is thinner, because the Gen2 runs at a max of 32A instead of the 40A that the Gen1 will do. The little sleeve connections in the old Gen1 adapters were fairly small, and were not very robust and reliable for passing 40A continuous for long periods of time, so there were some noticeable number of instances of adapters melting, and it was not a very safe situation. I've been running my Gen1 for 7 years, but I keep it turned down to 31A to reduce that issue.

So the Gen2 is lower current to get away from that issue and make it a little safer. And it also has a temperature sensor in the plug head of every adapter, so it can monitor temp on the outlet and stop charging and show a warning in the car if the plug is getting hot, like if a wire is loose in the back of your outlet.

Tesla does also still sell the "Corded Mobile Connector". That is basically like a Gen1, and does 40A, but it has a permanently attached 14-50 plug, so it doesn't have that weak adapter interface.