Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a Golf, before that a Scirocco, before that a Toyota MR2, before that a BMW 1 series, before that a Nissan Almera.

All smallish cars. The M3 is the first "big" car I've had, and only because there was no smaller choice. I'd have bought a Model 2 over the 3 easily. My parents the same, they've just bought and ID3 because it fits in their garage. The Model 3 doesn't... and they were asking about the Model 2, but of course it's not out yet.

So that's at least two people out of a sample of two that would have bought the smaller Tesla.

My guess is 4-5 years for when it's available. It's not even been announced yet, then there's a 1-2 year lag before it gets released, and then another 1-2 before it's available here to buy (as opposed to sold to deposit holders).

As to the Y. Tesla will get there, but here at least they've got plenty of competition for SUVs on every level, from the more expensive to the cheaper. I think they'll sell well here of course, we seem to love SUVs (I hate them). But I think they've missed the boat in selling the maximum number here.

Dont know why Tesla are making anything but Model Ys. The pent up demand everywhere is allowing them to exploit pricing. If they don't hurry up Gridserve will do the job in the UK and we will all be driving non Tesla EVs. There is a growing list of EVs which are just as good if not better than Teslas .. iD4, Audi Q4, Polestar 2 - with a myriad of great Chinese models on their way.

Well, I only know that I wouldn't buy a Model Y. The very reason people are excited about a "Model 2" is because it's likely to be neater and smaller than the 3. The Y is even bigger than the 3 so even less suited to narrow roads and parking spaces, changes from a sporty looking saloon to a mildly bloated sudo SUV hatch ... the hatch being the only feature that has any attraction for me. Those other models you list don't appear to have reduced how many Teslas are being sold yet as far as I know.

Reactions: pow216 and phil4
ID3 isn’t available in the US as they don’t want small cars. So a model 2 might buck the trend and come to Europe/China first

but I very much doubt £20k. Yes I’m sure there will be some savings but this is total speculation. Uk prices are quite a bit more than US so £25-30k is potentially likely depending on battery size/driving range

ID3 isn’t available in the US as they don’t want small cars. So a model 2 might buck the trend and come to Europe/China first

Good point that I hadn't taken into account. I agree that the cost of any new smaller Tesla is likely to be over 25,000 and probably nearer 30,000 unless something very surprising happens in relation to EV pricing in the UK. Anyway, it's YEARS away so I'm not sure it's even worth the speculation until/unless Tesla give us a preview of something.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Ask what you'd cut to make a smaller, cheaper model and whether you'd still want one.

Drop the autopioot hardware to save on cameras and processors but thats part of the DNA and alkso delivers some of the safety
Go single motor - but thats what the SR+ has
Smaller battery than the SR+ so smaller range as its hard to imagine efficiency improving much over the SR+
Cheaper interior.. erm... there's not exactly a lot you can take out
Metal roof - I guess you could...

But thats only a few grand for all that

Ask what you'd cut to make a smaller, cheaper model and whether you'd still want one.

Drop the autopioot hardware to save on cameras and processors but thats part of the DNA and alkso delivers some of the safety
Go single motor - but thats what the SR+ has
Smaller battery than the SR+ so smaller range as its hard to imagine efficiency improving much over the SR+
Cheaper interior.. erm... there's not exactly a lot you can take out
Metal roof - I guess you could...

But thats only a few grand for all that

Yes, this is the problem for manufacturers across the board ... it's harder to make money off a cheaper smaller vehicle because they really don't cost much less to actually build. This is no doubt why, in general, we see plenty of big expensive EVs and few compact models. The economics have to be really well worked out before anyone can risk going smaller because there's less profit on each vehicle so they have to produce a much higher number to make the same money. It's actually nothing new in car manufacture ... it was claimed that the old Mini that sold more that 5 million cars never made an overall profit!

Having said all that I would have preferred a smaller hatchback vehicle, even if not much cheaper than the Model 3, and paid the Tesla premium. The range equivalent of an SR+ would be just fine ... that's what I've got and I know it works .. particularly with home charging and Supercharging availability. Hopefully by the time the smaller models come out Tesla and other manufacturers will have upped the energy density and packaging by a few percent such that in practice we can add at least another 10% to miles driven.

I think its hard to argue that any other EVs are "as good" as Tesla. Some are better in a number of ways. build quality. some features etc. Windscreen wipers thht work but there is nothing else that has the efficiency of a Tesla at anything close to the size and performance. not to mention the unique interior etc. So its hard to compare since they are so different to all other cars. Tesla still a lot of USP's but gives away a similar number to the competition. The SuC is arguable the best USP more than ever and I still think we are a few years away from road tripping in anything else approaching the convenience of a Tesla.
Its definitely a different world to 2019 though when I got mine where the M3 was pretty much the only game in town short of waiting a year for an E-Niro.
Couldn't agree more: the key to Tesla's success seems to me to be the battery management software and engine(s) control software. They already out perform every other other maker and are just about to launch their next generation batteries, the 4680 cells which will allow them to jump further ahead.

With whatever cells are in my M3LR AWD I drove today 23 June, from Salisbury to Sherborne and back, just 90 miles and used 20kw/h. I have not altered my driving style one bit as I enjoy the performance.

This. I just don’t want an SUV. Even the ones that aren’t stupidly inefficient (like the Y) are still too big and antisocial and by definition don’t drive as well as lower cars.

I want everything that Tesla brings in the smallest package possible that will accommodate four/five people. Golf size is the sweet spot for passenger cars in my opinion, but sadly no-one yet builds anything that size which can hold a light to the model 3 in any other respect.
100% this. Cars are getting bigger and bigger for no reason other than fashion. People in the UK complain endlessly about lack of parking spaces. But look at any terraced street and you see it lined with SUVs and CUVs - many taking up double the space of a car from the 90s.

God, why a 'me-too' hatcback?
When catering to the huge void between Model 3 and what's called micro-mobility can be soooo much more interesting...

Next-Gen EV does more than reduce emissions.jpg

minorityreport33gk.5905.jpg

Elon Musk did actually say the plan is to make a small car the the model 3 in an interview with Marques Brownlee in 2019. Musk did say he expects it to be available in three years, so probably six in reality. He did also mention making a smaller car, likely a hatchback, when doing an interview about the Berlin plant last year. I think the Autocar article is pure speculation based on these two comments in interviews. I don't think we'll see one any time soon though as well as role out of the Y, there's also the role out of the revised S and X along with the cybertruck, roadster and semi truck, which are all products that have been announced. I expect that will keep Tesla busy for the next few years.

On the point of cars getting too big, I totally agree. There's actually quite a good article in Autocar that explains some of the reason's why (yes they do proper articles from time to time!) Ever-growing cars

I would be interested in Model 2 AWD for $35000.
0-60 mph in 4.2 sec before boost upgrade
metal roof
220 mile range.
cloth heated seats
Blind spot monitoring indicator on external mirrors
Autopilot
totally doable.

Last edited:
Well, the Model 2 doesn’t exist so it’s debatable whether you can call anything a “Model 2 killer”. On the other hand the Model 2 doesn’t exist, so..

Kinda funny looking back at the comments on the first page. When I saw this thread I assumed it was a new one, then I noticed people back in 2021 talking about Model 2 entering production in 2022… yeah, didn’t even happen in 2023.

How much time has been wasted making the vanity project Cybertruck?

The space Tesla operates is different to these EVs. So, Yes there will be competition for the left overs among those brands :)
For a car used as a local run-about (IE not needing the benefit of full-access to the Supercharger network) there are options available now that (without having had full sight of what the Tesla 2 will offer) that I would choose ahead of this.

For example, the Peugeot e208 - my son has one and the interior is a thoroughly pleasant place to be.