Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3’s battery will be 30% more energy dense than the Model S’ original pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically they could put a 59 kWh battery in it and still hold to the less than 60 kWh statement. This (about 7% or 15 miles additional range assuming they originally planned on putting a 55 kWh battery in it) would help them surpass the Bolt's range just by adding a small increase in efficiency as well.

Not sure how Tesla wanting to be profitable and people on message boards making outlandish proclamations are all that related.

Not that outlandish... it's directly inline with energy density claims, Model 3 size considerations, lower cost of battery packs from the Gigafactory, and an extrapolation from the mile/kWh achieved by the Chevy Bolt (even though the bolt has motor with a permanent magnet making it slightly more efficient). 238 mi / 60 kWh = ~3.967 miles/kWh

If driven conservatively a 100 kWh battery pack might provide nearly 400 miles of range in a vehicle lighter than the P100DL. We still don't even know the range of the future Model S 100D. I'd guess a Model 3 would be even better due to less drag and less weight.

This boils down to if Tesla is actually willing to fit a 100 kWh battery pack to a Model 3. It's not technically impossible.

Not that outlandish... it's directly inline with energy density claims, Model 3 size considerations, lower cost of battery packs from the Gigafactory, and an extrapolation from the mile/kWh achieved by the Chevy Bolt (even though the bolt has motor with a permanent magnet making it slightly more efficient). 238 mi / 60 kWh = ~3.967 miles/kWh

If driven conservatively a 100 kWh battery pack might provide nearly 400 miles of range in a vehicle lighter than the P100DL. We still don't even know the range of the future Model S 100D. I'd guess a Model 3 would be even better due to less drag and less weight.

This boils down to if Tesla is actually willing to fit a 100 kWh battery pack to a Model 3. It's not technically impossible.

Exactly. Logic would dictate that if the energy density is 30% better than the original packs, it's possible to fit the same amount of energy within a pack that's 30% smaller (probably not exactly 30%, as I'm sure it's not a linear relationship...I'm not a huge math guy, just play along...)

so a 2170 100kWH pack may actually fit in the Model 3 skateboard. I suppose we'll find out someday.

Reactions: JeffK
Technically they could put a 59 kWh battery in it and still hold to the less than 60 kWh statement. This (about 7% or 15 miles additional range assuming they originally planned on putting a 55 kWh battery in it) would help them surpass the Bolt's range just by adding a small increase in efficiency as well.
The other change we could see if whether they are describing the usable amount of battery power or the actual nominal amount of power. The new P100D got a bigger range upgrade than the P90D than what would be expected in a linear fashion (100/90 x P90D range) and from what I've read online, it's because the 100 is actually usable. It means that the underlying battery pack might actually be 105 or even 110 kWh, but they label it as 100 kWh to represent the amount that can be used.

If the 55 kWh is the battery amount, and it's usable, that might be more like a 60 kWh battery in the old definition, which was not based on what is usable.

Either way, I'm hopeful for a larger range in the base model and a reasonably priced upgrade to get it closer to or above 300 miles of range. As someone without access to charging at home or work, I'm making it a point to charge it once or twice per week at a DC fast charger.

If the Model 3 is as efficient as the Hyundai Ioniq electric or better, then it might be able to get near 400 mi with as little as 90 kWh.

It would be nice. I'm still not sure how Hyundai managed that, though Hyundai has come a long way in just the last 5-10 years (I see them everywhere now).

But wouldn't the Tesla's increased weight due to the larger battery inherently reduce that efficiency?

It would be nice. I'm still not sure how Hyundai managed that, though Hyundai has come a long way in just the last 5-10 years (I see them everywhere now).

But wouldn't the Tesla's increased weight due to the larger battery inherently reduce that efficiency?
yes, however if Electrek's estimate of ~230 Wh/mi is accurate for Model 3 then we would see about 391 miles at 90 kWh.