Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - 12V Low Voltage Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model 3 Performance minus, ordered as soon as the web page opened in Australia
(Delivered to me Oct 2019) now needs the 12V Lead Acid Low Voltage Battery replaced.

Tesla have advised me not to drive the car until its replaced.

Apparently as its within the 4 year warranty period they will replace it for free.
(I would have been happy to pay for the new battery myself, as its a consumable item.)

Only problem, it appears my car is off the road for approx 1 month.

Have others solved this problem yet ?

Does anyone know where i could buy the replacement battery so i can get the car back on the road more quickly ?

Any useful suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Is your battery flat so you could not operate the functions or something?

If you can still open then frunk, just open it up, check the size, and buy a new one with similar sizing. Or even a lithium one. Newer ones come with lithium 12V now, size is different I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video on how to change the battery. (i already have that bookmarked)

If you can get a replacement 12v battery it doesn't look very hard, just make sure to open the windows and your frunk before you start.

Getting a replacement battery appears to be the problem.

I have replaced many car batteries over the last 10 years (6+)

I would normally call RACQ and get them to come fit a new battery.
They will not touch the car. Says none of the batteries they have are suitable.
They can replace a Tesla Model S battery, but NOT a Model 3.
They can replace almost ANY car battery, but NOT a Model 3.
NRMA appear to be the same.

Visited some battery shops who also wont touch it.

One shop says they had someone else ask for the same battery and contacted Tesla who said the user replacing the battery
could invalidate the warranty. (which i can understand if people do not follow the steps in the video)

I checked the Tesla user manual for the car on my tesla app, which basically also warned about invalidating the warranty.

So i am just trying to find the correct battery to purchase, and get Tesla to replace it so my warranty is not invalidated.
Tesla have a local company who could replace the battery very quickly, if i had a suitable battery. (Not invalidating my warranty)

First, its a bit of a concern that the 12V battery would die less than 3 years into ownership. It’s not like it is frequently deep-discharged to start an engine or anything, or subjected to extreme scenarios that would prematurely age it. Our Nissan Leaf, which will turn 8 this year (and 10 since manufacture), still has its original 12V battery in it.

IIRC there was a 12V battery issue that did affect some early Model 3s intended for Australia in but allegedly that was fixed?

But really, why did Tesla adopt such a non-standard 12V battery for Model 3 in the first place? There’s nothing special about it as far as I know except for its form-factor. And was the form-factor so critical that it had to be that battery and not a more common size that was near enough, and they still could have designed everything else to fit around it?

I have heard of people replacing their exiting lead-acid 12V for a Li-Ion 12V which are typically smaller.

First, its a bit of a concern that the 12V battery would die less than 3 years into ownership. It’s not like it is frequently deep-discharged to start an engine or anything, or subjected to extreme scenarios that would prematurely age it. Our Nissan Leaf, which will turn 8 this year (and 10 since manufacture), still has its original 12V battery in it.

IIRC there was a 12V battery issue that did affect some early Model 3s intended for Australia in but allegedly that was fixed?

But really, why did Tesla adopt such a non-standard 12V battery for Model 3 in the first place? There’s nothing special about it as far as I know except for its form-factor. And was the form-factor so critical that it had to be that battery and not a more common size that was near enough, and they still could have designed everything else to fit around it?

I have heard of people replacing their exiting lead-acid 12V for a Li-Ion 12V which are typically smaller.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that the 12V can last a long time in a Nissan leaf.

It does get pretty hot here. many days over 30 C in the shade in the garage but we get a few 40+ C days also.
Way hotter in the sun. I almost never saw a white car when i lived in Sydney. Here 30-50% of the cars are white. (inc my Model 3)

I wonder if the heat shortens the life up here. If so then tesla will see many more failures.
It may be too early to see what the average lifespan of these is.

Lead acid batteries definitely will be affected by heat.

As a matter of interest, here in Sydney, my Renault Zoe battery (just a common form factor lead acid starting battery) became "strange" after 3.5yrs. It is a standard service item to replace every 3 years. I found an AGM of exactly the same size, much better cycling performance, compatible with the Zoe DC-DC converter. But heavier. The old battery had developed a constant drain that meant my long term average efficiency had degraded to 155Whr/km plus I was losing 1% SOC per day (just sitting) rather than 1% per month. It is now back to 118wH/km and almost no loss of SOC. The old battery still had good terminal voltage, about 40% reduction in AmpHrs and good internal resistance. I'm hoping the AGM will last twice as long. However, AGMs also do not like high temperatures so I probably would not do the same if I was up North.

Does anyone know where i could buy the replacement battery so i can get the car back on the road more quickly ?

Just went through similar with i3 12V battery. No stock in Australia - 6-8weeks from Germany for OEM battery. Found a compromise in the end.

Suggests the OEM battery specs are 85B24LS (45Ah)

Your local battery guys should be able to find something similar based on this number, capacity and dimensional constraints in the battery bay.
e.g.

N40LS may be similar

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
Just went through similar with i3 12V battery. No stock in Australia - 6-8weeks from Germany for OEM battery. Found a compromise in the end.

Suggests the OEM battery specs are 85B24LS (45Ah)

Your local battery guys should be able to find something similar based on this number, capacity and dimensional constraints in the battery bay.
e.g.

N40LS may be similar
Thanks for the info on the battery specs. 85B24LS (45Ah) That is a big help.

I will see if i can confirm this with Tesla and see if i can find a battery company who is some help.
There is a local company here in Cairns who Tesla say can swap the battery without voiding the warranty.

Made a few calls to local battery companies and typical responses range from "nah mate cant help you" to "serves you right for buying such a stupid car" to
"i am not selling a battery to anyone who buys a tesla". Sigh. The tesla hate is strong in Far North Queensland.

I tried wreckers for a second hand battery, but there do not seem to be enough wrecked Tesla Model 3s. (Which is good)

I necessary if will see if i can find some of the small battery manufacturers who used to exist in this country.

I am really not keen on the car sitting there for a further 23 days.

Reactions: Nobody Famous
Made a few calls to local battery companies and typical responses range from "nah mate cant help you" to "serves you right for buying such a stupid car" to "i am not selling a battery to anyone who buys a tesla". Sigh. The tesla hate is strong in Far North Queensland.

Wow… those last two should be named and shamed. Disgraceful.

Reactions: GSP
Perhaps try to get one sent from Brisbane or Sydney and avoid the 'locals'. FNQ is a funny place, we pay a 'non locals tax' whenever we need work done on our property there. But over the years have learnt who too trust and the businesses to avoid. There is weird stuff running through the veins of many up there and it's not always about money too.