Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - 12V Low Voltage Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info on the battery specs. 85B24LS (45Ah) That is a big help.

I will see if i can confirm this with Tesla and see if i can find a battery company who is some help.
There is a local company here in Cairns who Tesla say can swap the battery without voiding the warranty.

Made a few calls to local battery companies and typical responses range from "nah mate cant help you" to "serves you right for buying such a stupid car" to
"i am not selling a battery to anyone who buys a tesla". Sigh. The tesla hate is strong in Far North Queensland.

I tried wreckers for a second hand battery, but there do not seem to be enough wrecked Tesla Model 3s. (Which is good)

I necessary if will see if i can find some of the small battery manufacturers who used to exist in this country.

I am really not keen on the car sitting there for a further 23 days.
That attitude is totally repugnant with Australia right in the crosshairs of destructive climate change. I do hope the dinosaurs eventually become extinct.

Good luck sourcing your battery, and hope you can get something soon

I hope you told them where to get off!
No, i did not.
That would just reinforce the bad attitude some people have.

Finally battery has now been replaced by Tesla.

The cost of the battery was $140.55 (ex GST).
I was originally told it was covered by warranty at no cost.
I am happy with the result as i did not expect a consumable part to be covered by warranty.

Total time the car was off the road while waiting for a 12V battery was i believe 16 days. (or perhaps 15)

I spoke to both RACQ and Tesla hoping that the companies could cooperate to find a compatible battery
that RACQ could install anywhere in QLD. So far no luck.

Given that RCAQ in QLD, NRMA in NSW, and RACV in VIC exchange information, if we can get one of these organizations
to list a few compatible batteries for a Model 3, it would likely solve the problem for every Tesla owner in Australia in future.

RACQ already has compatible Batteries for the Model S.
If we could get them to cover the Model 3 and Model X everyone should benefit.

Finally, thanks to everyone for helpful comments and suggestions.

I've heard of leaving the doors open when you need to access the HV battery connector, since it's under the rear seats and if you remove the power with the doors shut you can't open them?
True, but you open that rear door first to gain access to the connector to disconnect the HV battery. If then you closed it, it wouldn't matter because once you swap out the 12 volt battery that is the power source that allows the doors to be opened. Unless I'm incorrect and the system needs the HV battery to sense the 12 volt source for the doors to unlock. But I guess it's not a big deal to leave that door open. What I don't understand is why the driver's door needs to be open as well.

I've seen that video before and don't agree with some of what he said. He failed to point out that the Ohmmu battery worked great until Tesla did a software update which caused the issues and they did nothing to allow it to work.

And I completely dislike that Tesla's new low voltage Lithium Ion battery was purchased from China. Tesla needs to make this battery, not China.

Last edited:
I've seen that video before and don't agree with some of what he said. He failed to point out that the Ohmmu battery worked great until Tesla did a software update which caused the issues and they did nothing to allow it to work.

And I completely dislike that Tesla's new low voltage Lithium Ion battery was purchased from China. Tesla needs to make this battery, not China.
Tesla make and export model 3, Y and main battery packs at its china factory. That means made in china.

Tesla make and export model 3, Y and main battery packs at its china factory. That means made in china.
For the Chinese market yes. But parts that go all over the world don't need to be Chinese made. Tesla doesn't need to be beholding or even held hostage to the Chinese supply chain and why they need to make this battery themselves. It's important to be vertically integrated, something Tesla has been doing more and more.

Last edited: