Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 2020 CPO Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Family.
I found on Tesla Used car section a 2020 Model 3 SR+ with below options and only had 1800 miles on it. Priced at $38000. Pulled the trigger and booked it.
  • Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Red Multi-Coat Paint
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior
  • Autopilot

My initial plan was to fly to SFO and pick up the car as the Delivery/Transport fee to Arizona was $1000. Today the used car rep called and said that the $1000 Transport fee is the only option citing that recent customers had to pay "double tax" and also wait 3-4 months without driving the car as the wait times out of state registration is taking longer.
I haven't heard of these issues before and was planning to picking up the car to save $1000.
Now with the transport charge below is the breakdown

Model 3
Black and White Premium Interior
Red Multi-Coat
19’’ Sport Wheels
Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive
Car Price
$38,000.00

Additional Charges​

Registration Amount
$160.00
Transportation Fee
$1,000.00
Sales Tax
$81.00 - THIS ISNT ACCURATE, he said this will be calculated after it is delivered to AZ delivery center. I believe it is going to be $2800

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$39,241.00​

My Questions are
1. Is this a good price considering it only has 1800 miles and a year old model. 2021 new model 3 with same options is costing 45k.
2. Tesla is not providing any information on the car and I can only check it out when its delivered to Scottsdale AZ Delivery center.
3. My Trade in came in $2500 less at Tesla compared to Vroom and CarMax. Considering I will save $1k on tax, it is still a better option for me to sell it to CarMax for $2.5K more - Tesla rep said the Trade In offer is final and no negotiation and I have no choice but to remove the Trade in from this transaction.

(moderator note: I moved this to the ordering subforum as that is the appropriate place for this post. If you want me to update the thread title, you can click the report button on your post and request the thread title be changed).

==============================
(regular content post)

@glide is correct in that tesla does not currently offer a "Certified Pre Owned" program, like other manufactures advertise. I can tell you, though, with many of those other manufacturers a CPO program is basically an extended warranty. All the "checks" they are supposed to do are sometimes done, and sometimes not, with all brands, tesla or otherwise.

In any case, while tesla doesnt offer a CPO program, your thread title is clear in what you want, so I didnt change it myself. If you want it changed let us know).

Last edited:
Reactions: summi99
(moderator note: I moved this to the ordering subforum as that is the appropriate place for this post. If you want me to update the thread title, you can click the report button on your post and request the thread title be changed).

@glide is correct in that tesla does not currently offer a "Certified Pre Owned" program, like other manufactures advertise. I can tell you, though, with many of those other manufacturers a CPO program is basically an extended warranty. All the "checks" they are supposed to do are sometimes done, and sometimes not, with all brands, tesla or otherwise.

In any case, while tesla doesnt offer a CPO program, your thread title is clear in what you want, so I didnt change it myself. If you want it changed let us know).
Thanks @jjrandorin

Reactions: jjrandorin
As far as your regular question, I dont know specifically about the price. Are there any state benefits for buying new where you live? A 2020 may not have the heatpump ( I am not sure exactly when that change was made) and if its used that tends to rule out some rebates etc, at least in CA it does.

The "Tax is the Tax" so to speak, but you are talking about a 4-5k difference, it seems to me. Whether that is "worth it" or not depends on what that means to you, and how long you plan on having the vehicle.

I would rather have new, myself, for that relative difference, but that 4k means different things to different people.

Why is that the only option? Have them provide you with a temp tag from CA and take care of it yourself? In TX, all registration, taxes, fees, and titling is done by the owner, not Tesla. Don't see why your situation is any different.

If you called up Apex Cars.net in Fremont and bought a car, they would likely not even offer to transport it for you. They'd do the above and say "here are the keys, good luck!".

Why is that the only option? Have them provide you with a temp tag from CA and take care of it yourself? In TX, all registration, taxes, fees, and titling is done by the owner, not Tesla. Don't see why your situation is any different.

If you called up Apex Cars.net in Fremont and bought a car, they would likely not even offer to transport it for you. They'd do the above and say "here are the keys, good luck!".
That’s exactly what I told the rep. He’s saying I will have to pay California tax and also a delay in getting AZ tags.

Pretty sure in CA they make you pay the tax here, if you pick up here. Your situation in texas is different than most, because tesla still can not legally sell there (so most things about the transaction are different than in other places).

I am not an expert in CA DMV stuff, but i also know CA DMV doesnt cut very many breaks. They want their tax if the car is picked up here, there is no "Tax credit" for trading a car in to reduce tax liability (for example).

Thats likely why the rep is telling them about double tax, because tesla would likely have to collect CA tax because its delivered here, and then the OP would have to pay tax in AZ to get AZ tags. I dont know how it works between states but I am virtually certain that if one doesnt want to pay CA tax, they dont want to take possession of the car inside of CA.

As far as your regular question, I dont know specifically about the price. Are there any state benefits for buying new where you live? A 2020 may not have the heatpump ( I am not sure exactly when that change was made) and if its used that tends to rule out some rebates etc, at least in CA it does.

The "Tax is the Tax" so to speak, but you are talking about a 4-5k difference, it seems to me. Whether that is "worth it" or not depends on what that means to you, and how long you plan on having the vehicle.

I would rather have new, myself, for that relative difference, but that 4k means different things to different people.
No AZ benefits or state credits anymore on Tesla vehicle. They only have home wall charger rebates at the moment.
as for the heat up I don’t think I need it here in AZ.
with the car having 1800 miles and is 5K cheaper with the same option on a 2021 model.

No AZ benefits or state credits anymore on Tesla vehicle. They only have home wall charger rebates at the moment.
as for the heat up I don’t think I need it here in AZ.
with the car having 1800 miles and is 5K cheaper with the same option on a 2021 model.

People seem to have this opinion that people in places where it doesnt snow (much) wont benefit from the heat pump, and its kind of the opposite thing from what I can tell. It really benefits people for whom the temperature doesnt really get down to freezing, as heat pumps get less efficient the colder it gets.

Those who would seem to benefit the most are people in places in AZ / CA / NV, etc, where winter in general is "not that cold". With that being said, I certainly am not going to argue with anyone about it. Just passing on what I read about regarding the heat pump (and the fact that its more efficient extending actual driving range of the vehicle if thats important to someone, in areas where its most effective).

In any case, this isnt a heat pump thread so I will stop taking your thread off topic. Good luck on your choice

People seem to have this opinion that people in places where it doesnt snow (much) wont benefit from the heat pump, and its kind of the opposite thing from what I can tell. It really benefits people for whom the temperature doesnt really get down to freezing, as heat pumps get less efficient the colder it gets.
Those who would seem to benefit the most are people in places in AZ / CA / NV, etc, where winter in general is "not that cold". With that being said, I certainly am not going to argue with anyone about it. Just passing on what I read about regarding the heat pump (and the fact that its more efficient extending actual driving range of the vehicle if thats important to someone, in areas where its most effective).

In any case, this isnt a heat pump thread so I will stop taking your thread off topic. Good luck on your choice
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.
I was looking at used 2019 M3's at prices 34-36k. That has been the budget. This car is 38K which is 2K over budget and manageable at the moment.
If i go new 2021 with the same specs im looking at $43K base price.
Other car dealers such as carvana have 2020 SR+ without the color, wheel, interior options going for 40k with 14k ish miles.