Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 2020 SR+ - Footwell Lights turning on when car wakes from sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’ve seen discussions on this a bit regarding the footwell lights in the SR+ Model 3 and I just happened to catch this while going for my half n hour walk to check for the latest update (2020.12.11.1).

It seems that when the car wakes from sleep the footwell lights come on then turn off when the car realises. Just found it interesting and thought I would share. Not sure if it’s known and sorry if it is.

Hard to capture but you can see the light above the brake pedal for a split second.

I have aftermarket performance pedals incase anyone picks up on that.

Hi all,

I’ve seen discussions on this a bit regarding the footwell lights in the SR+ Model 3 and I just happened to catch this while going for my half n hour walk to check for the latest update (2020.12.11.1).

It seems that when the car wakes from sleep the footwell lights come on then turn off when the car realises. Just found it interesting and thought I would share. Not sure if it’s known and sorry if it is.

Hard to capture but you can see the light above the brake pedal for a split second.

I have aftermarket performance pedals incase anyone picks up on that.

Yeah I understand that, just found it interesting and thought to share. The idea of the car waking up then the software kicking in and turning the light off just got a chuckle.
This is my number one gripe about my otherwise marvellous SR+. The hardware is certainly there; i just don't understand why footwell lights had to be a "premium" feature.

if your car is powering the footwell lights lights for just an instant it is very good you can install: a turn off delay circuit.
1.- The car powers the light for an instant (you take the light out and add a 12v relay.)
2.- then use the relay latching the -delay off circuit with leds- to activate the circuit; -the circuit uses its own batteries to light for 10 seconds for example

RECAP: the vehicle latches the relay enough time to activate your circuit containing its leds and its own battery.
-this is what i will do but in my case I have a 2020 tesla , the update does not allow the light to be on at all , so im using a sound detector calibrated to "hear" the door when it opens and closes to light for 10 seconds"
using its own batteries
US $2.06 43% OFF|Sound and Light Control Switch Kit Clap Switch Sound and Light Control Delay DIY Electronic Production Kit|LED Modules| - AliExpress

Nothing posted for public consumption states that the footwell lights are a "premium" feature. Super frustrating because they're such an insignificant feature to have them software locked.

One could argue that you paid for them in the price of the car. They were not listed as not included, nor were they listed as included...unspoken like a turn signal if you will.

Using that same approach, we paid for the A pillar speakers and tweeters, they are also not specifically called out. You paid for them with the car and should be functional.

The argument could not be used for FSD since it is an actual listed option that you have to manually select.

It all just seems silly to lock things yet build them I to the car...

Reactions: Fazza
Sorted.
night-trek-lights-776x560.jpg

Nothing posted for public consumption states that the footwell lights are a "premium" feature. Super frustrating because they're such an insignificant feature to have them software locked.

One could argue that you paid for them in the price of the car. They were not listed as not included, nor were they listed as included...unspoken like a turn signal if you will.

Using that same approach, we paid for the A pillar speakers and tweeters, they are also not specifically called out. You paid for them with the car and should be functional.

The argument could not be used for FSD since it is an actual listed option that you have to manually select.

Speakers are specifically called out, the premium audio is listed as an option for LR and P but not SR+, also shows a diagram of these speakers on the Model 3 page.

If you could tweet musky on those same lines he might just decide yeah those footwell lights and ambient pocket lights should be avaialble to enable/disable :)

Shown no sign of doing so in almost five years.
Just buy the metal pedals if you want to see them more easily.

Interestingly some 2019 SR+ owners have seen their previously deactivated front fog lights work during the light shows. 2020 and later cars have black plastic instead.

I think they're referring to the new Model 3 RWD (no more SR+ moniker). There's no differentiation with "premium interior" anymore, and it comes with things like heated steering wheel and rear seat heating. It more than likely also includes the speakers and interior lights activated. Seems a little frustrating to lock it on older cars with no way to unlock it while it's included as standard for newer ones. But that's our Tesla.

I think they're referring to the new Model 3 RWD (no more SR+ moniker). There's no differentiation with "premium interior" anymore, and it comes with things like heated steering wheel and rear seat heating. It more than likely also includes the speakers and interior lights activated. Seems a little frustrating to lock it on older cars with no way to unlock it while it's included as standard for newer ones. But that's our Tesla.
If you scroll way down on the M3 page they still show partial premium as well as premium interiors. Correct the heated seats and steering wheel are now standard but the audio is still listed as different as well as the fog lights and floor mats (this one still gets me LOL). It has no mention of ambient lighting though.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 200928.png

Reactions: kaimanson