Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Acceleration Software Limited? [model 3P]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember seeing a little while back that the MYP seemed to make a little more power than the M3P.

Unless I'm mistaken on that, or that the MYP and M3P use identical powertrains, then it would stand to reason that the M3P is capable of a little more.
Same powertrain, but the front motor is cranked up a wee bit on the Y.

Not sure who your were replying to since whoever it is, is on my ignore list. But it sounds like from your response that it is another person trying to argue another technicality

No, just quoting your literal false claim and why it's false.

I guess your criteria for the ignore list is "People who point out you make untrue claims"

It's ok to admit you're wrong dude- it's what adults do. Then they try and be less wrong in the future.

Might wanna consider going that route instead of just sticking your fingers in your ears anytime someone points out you are incorrect.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Not sure who your were replying to since whoever it is, is on my ignore list. But it sounds like from your response that it is another person trying to argue another technicality to make sure that tesla doesn't lose any online debate. It's best to not engage, because no matter if you had a $7,000 brand new vehicle that surpassed a tesla in every specification, they would still say something like "yeah, but it doesn't have an option to use quick controls on the screen menu for steering wheel manipulation, so the tesla is better".
This is true. Is it even a debate if you don't consider any other points of view? Also, why the strong desire to prove everyone wrong?

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 12.53.34 PM.png

100% for sure no gearing- if they didn't need it for Plaid S they sure don't need it here.

Likewise if you have a separate motor on each rear wheel there's no reason for an LSD.
I am just not a fan of all the software/electronic controls and using the brakes to simulate an LSD. I guess I am not alone since they offer this now. I would have to an EV that has a motor on each wheel to see if that changes the driving dynamics. It seems like it would be costly to do so and increase complexity and weight.

I am just not a fan of all the software/electronic controls and using the brakes to simulate an LSD. I guess I am not alone since they offer this now. I would have to an EV that has a motor on each wheel to see if that changes the driving dynamics. It seems like it would be costly to do so and increase complexity and weight.

I'm with you all the way on disliking brakes for limiting slip or torque vectoring. However I think any real LSD worth its salt would be a notable range hit on an EV. My last ICE car was fulltime AWD with 3 LSDs, including fully lockable center. Awesome traction, terrible efficiency (for a small sporty car).

Tri motors are here already (Model S Plaid and soon Audi E-Tron S), and quad motors soon too (Rivian R1T). I think it'll be a while until we see a smaller sporty car with quad motors, but once it happens I'll be buying one!

I'm with you all the way on disliking brakes for limiting slip or torque vectoring. However I think any real LSD worth its salt would be a notable range hit on an EV. My last ICE car was fulltime AWD with 3 LSDs, including fully lockable center. Awesome traction, terrible efficiency (for a small sporty car).

Tri motors are here already (Model S Plaid and soon Audi E-Tron S), and quad motors soon too (Rivian R1T). I think it'll be a while until we see a smaller sporty car with quad motors, but once it happens I'll be buying one!
Do you think the motor on each wheel will still feel artificial or is there some magic in the software and tuning that makes it feel like a LSD?

Do you think the motor on each wheel will still feel artificial or is there some magic in the software and tuning that makes it feel like a LSD?
With quad motors powering each wheel independently, I doubt it will feel like locked diffs at all, but it should be even better! LSDs and locking diffs will become obsolete with per-wheel motors.

Well I guess you might be limited to 1/4 of your power at each wheel, that is a downside. But modern EVs make plenty of power, 1/4 per wheel is just fine. Also it's often not the motors that limit EV power output...it might be that a quad motor EV could give more than 1/4 of its total power per wheel individually, when conditions warrant.

Edit: Yes the software tuning (traction control, essentially) will be critical to making a quad motor car feel good and predictable across all conditions. I also want user control over its behavior, like Track Mode v2's "Handling Balance" slider, along with adjusting inside-wheels vs outside-wheels behavior. One end of that inside-vs-outside behavior should feel something like traditional limited slip / locking diffs, with the other end of the slider resulting in lots of "torque vectoring" style behavior (extra power to the outside).

Last edited:
Reactions: raptor5244
With quad motors powering each wheel independently, I doubt it will feel like locked diffs at all, but it should be even better! LSDs and locking diffs will become obsolete with per-wheel motors.

Well I guess you might be limited to 1/4 of your power at each wheel, that is a downside. But modern EVs make plenty of power, 1/4 per wheel is just fine. Also it's often not the motors that limit EV power output...it might be that a quad motor EV could give more than 1/4 of its total power per wheel individually, when conditions warrant.

Edit: Yes the software tuning (traction control, essentially) will be critical to making a quad motor car feel good and predictable across all conditions. I also want user control over its behavior, like Track Mode v2's "Handling Balance" slider, along with adjusting inside-wheels vs outside-wheels behavior. One end of that inside-vs-outside behavior should feel something like traditional limited slip / locking diffs, with the other end of the slider resulting in lots of "torque vectoring" style behavior (extra power to the outside).
Agreed. I would also like more control over the throttle mapping. It feels like the M3P only requires like 25% of pedal travel to get 100% throttle. Sure it makes it feel fast but the last half of the pedal travel feels dead. I would like the option to make it more linear.

Reactions: tm1v2
Agreed. I would also like more control over the throttle mapping. It feels like the M3P only requires like 25% of pedal travel to get 100% throttle. Sure it makes it feel fast but the last half of the pedal travel feels dead. I would like the option to make it more linear.
The throttle mapping is perfect, IMO.

Why should it be mapped to respond like an ICE vehicle?

There's no such thing as "like an ICE vehicle" any more than "like an EV" for throttle mapping. ICE cars have been drive-by-wire for a long time now, since the 2000s at least even for economy-brand cars that I've owned. It's software programming like in a Tesla. They commonly have several throttle maps you can switch between, just like a Tesla with chill, sport, etc.

For my last two ICE cars I could reprogram the ECU throttle maps using free software + cheap plugin adapters. One of them had a center console dial for switching between 3 throttle maps.

Throttle sensitivity is a very personal preference thing, often shaped by what we're used to. The 2-3 preset maps that a Tesla has is useful, but I agree with @raptor5244 that fully custom throttle maps would be great, and I too would like something more linear / less sensitive than Sport (but still max torque with pedal to the floor, unlike Chill). It should be very straightforward for Tesla themselves to support this with a nice touchscreen interface, and it would be a neat differentiating feature without costing them anything in extra hardware. Just need to make sure nothing stupid is allowed, like no full power at 1% pedal press. ;)

Reactions: raptor5244

I am not suggesting they tune it like ICE based vehicles, which tend to be quite different by the way. I am just suggesting that in an electric car mostly controlled by software, it would be nice have some additional control over it. In my M3P it is very sensitive IMO, a tuning trick which some manufacturers do to make the car feel more peppy than it really is as you barely touch the accelerator and you get almost 100% throttle. The aftermarket offers throttle controllers for some ICE based vehicles that let you adjust the throttle mapping/pedal travel to your liking. I figure Tesla could easily add that in the driving settings if they wanted, the same have steering options for Standard and Sport or Chill vs. Sport mode, we could have a drive mode that remaps the throttle mapping.

They can do all this stuff if they wanted with future software updates, the same way we got Brake Hold, Track Mode V2, power bumps, etc.

There's no such thing as "like an ICE vehicle" any more than "like an EV" for throttle mapping. ICE cars have been drive-by-wire for a long time now, since the 2000s at least even for economy-brand cars that I've owned. It's software programming like in a Tesla. They commonly have several throttle maps you can switch between, just like a Tesla with chill, sport, etc.

For my last two ICE cars I could reprogram the ECU throttle maps using free software + cheap plugin adapters. One of them had a center console dial for switching between 3 throttle maps.

Throttle sensitivity is a very personal preference thing, often shaped by what we're used to. The 2-3 preset maps that a Tesla has is useful, but I agree with @raptor5244 that fully custom throttle maps would be great, and I too would like something more linear / less sensitive than Sport (but still max torque with pedal to the floor, unlike Chill). It should be very straightforward for Tesla themselves to support this with a nice touchscreen interface, and it would be a neat differentiating feature without costing them anything in extra hardware. Just need to make sure nothing stupid is allowed, like no full power at 1% pedal press. ;)

60704783.jpg

Reactions: tm1v2
I am not suggesting they tune it like ICE based vehicles, which tend to be quite different by the way. I am just suggesting that in an electric car mostly controlled by software, it would be nice have some additional control over it. In my M3P it is very sensitive IMO, a tuning trick which some manufacturers do to make the car feel more peppy than it really is as you barely touch the accelerator and you get almost 100% throttle. The aftermarket offers throttle controllers for some ICE based vehicles that let you adjust the throttle mapping/pedal travel to your liking. I figure Tesla could easily add that in the driving settings if they wanted, the same have steering options for Standard and Sport or Chill vs. Sport mode, we could have a drive mode that remaps the throttle mapping.

They can do all this stuff if they wanted with future software updates, the same way we got Brake Hold, Track Mode V2, power bumps, etc.
When I read brake hold i got excited hinking brake stand like brake "boost." I quickly realized I am dumb.