Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Acceleration Software Limited? [model 3P]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my M3P it is very sensitive IMO, a tuning trick which some manufacturers do to make the car feel more peppy than it really is…
But the M3P’s sensitivity isn’t a “tuning trick” - that’s just how electric motors respond.

So you’re asking that the initial responsiveness be “tamped down” which would mimic the way most ICE drivetrains respond.

But the M3P’s sensitivity isn’t a “tuning trick” - that’s just how electric motors respond.

So you’re asking that the initial responsiveness be “tamped down” which would mimic the way most ICE drivetrains respond.
I understand what you are saying. It is like comparing analog vs. digital, it is either on or off but I am suggesting you don't need to make the pedal so sensitive that is feels like an on/off light switch, it would be nice to have a dimmer switch so to speak to allow more linear and progressive throttle application. Not a big deal for driving around town but welcome for enthusiasts that do spirited/track driving, specially since the regen braking is tied to the same pedal.

The same could be said for braking. High quality braking systems have great pedal feel. They don't have that over-boosted soft mushy feel. A good brake setup allows you to apply braking force in a linear fashion, which inspires more confidence as you don't upset the chassis unnecessarily.

I am nit picking but with limited performance EVs available, it is what it is. Tesla has great powertrain/battery tech but there is lots of room for improvement when it comes to suspension, braking, weight reduction, etc. It appears that slapping a powerful EV drive unit and battery in a car is relatively easy but if we want fun to drive EVs with great driving dynamics moving forward, manufacturers will need to focus on all the other details that make a car great to drive. I am really curious what Dodge and GM come up with. Dodge will probably have the first eMuscle cars that can do AWD burnouts and GM has some of the best chassis and suspension engineers in the industry so we may see the best handling performance EV sedan come in the form of a Chevy. Maybe a Chevy SS reboot as a performance EV sedan?

Reactions: tm1v2

We're not asking for artificial throttle lag. Definitely not. 🙂 What @raptor5244 and I want is a for a given pedal position to request less torque from the motors, but still ramp up the torque request to 100% as the pedal gets close to fully depressed.

Stomping on the pedal should still result in immediate full acceleration, just as now.

@raptor5244…but I am suggesting you don't need to make the pedal so sensitive that is feels like an on/off light switch

It only feels like an on/off switch to you because you’re expecting it to respond like an ICE throttle. The response is perfectly judged, IMHO - I always get exactly the amount of acceleration I expect, and it’s FAR more repeatable and predictable in that respect than any ICE vehicle I’ve owned in 40+ years of licensed driving.

Our other car is an Audi Q5TDi (turbo diesel).

If I drove it expecting it to feel like my Model 3 I’d be eternally frustrated. Instead, I know how it will respond (laggy but Uber-torquey on boost) so I adjust my driving style and inputs to match its responses. I don’t ask for or expect it to mimic an EV or even other non-diesel ICEVs we’ve owned, because it’s not any of those.
Maybe a Chevy SS reboot as a performance EV sedan?

Sorry, but an SS wouldn’t see which way the M3P went on any twisty road you’d care to name.

Reactions: Phlier and SocalM3P
Sorry, but an SS wouldn’t see which way the M3P went on any twisty road you’d care to name.

I am referring to a possible future EV performance sedan from GM rumored to replace the Camaro. The existing ICE based Camaro already out handles the M3P based on the all the published track times. I own both, from a performance perspective my ZL1 outperforms the M3P in every way except 0-60mph sprints and that is mainly due to limited traction off the line.

If GM combines their chassis and suspension expertise with an EV powertrain and slaps two more doors on the vehicle it could be pretty impressive. We could see magnetic ride suspension combined with a low CoG from the battery while matched to an aggressive wheel and tire setup. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Tesla fan but I get excited at the thought of more performance EV options. If they delivered a performance EV with more aggressive styling and stance, sporty interior with some Recaro seats, proper gauges, HUD, ditch the glass roof, drive modes with relaxed nannies, etc. I would trade the Model 3 in a heartbeat.

If the M3P had a bit more isolation from road noise, a Magneride suspension and slightly more bolstered seats it would be about perfect, IMO.

FWIW lack of a magnetic suspension is why I didn't buy a P.

$11,000 (the price bump at the time) didn't seem worth it for literally nothing but 0.9 quicker 0-60... (the fact I was later able to cut that gap to ~0.5 for $2000 reinforces it was the right choice).

FWIW lack of a magnetic suspension is why I didn't buy a P.

$11,000 (the price bump at the time) didn't seem worth it for literally nothing but 0.9 quicker 0-60... (the fact I was later able to cut that gap to ~0.5 for $2000 reinforces it was the right choice).
I will agree with you on this one. I bought the P when the delta was about $8-9k higher than the LR AWD. I much preferred the 3P Michelin PS4S tires over the Eco 18s or Continental 19s. I think the 3P should have come with forged 19" wheels that are wider and more aggressive looking. I am mean it is the Performance trim... The 3P brakes are decent but the pads are not up snuff for track duty. If you Track the car then Track Mode is worth all the money since without it your will be annoyed with the default stability control tuning.

The best buy was the Stealth P that got you the 3P performance plus Track Mode, slap some 19" performance wheels and tires and you are good to go.

Hopefully at some point Tesla will launch a performance division where they can focus on catering to the enthusiasts.

Not sure who your were replying to since whoever it is, is on my ignore list. But it sounds like from your response that it is another person trying to argue another technicality to make sure that tesla doesn't lose any online debate. It's best to not engage, because no matter if you had a $7,000 brand new vehicle that surpassed a tesla in every specification, they would still say something like "yeah, but it doesn't have an option to use quick controls on the screen menu for steering wheel manipulation, so the tesla is better".
Dude, ya shot your mouth off, got called on it and then started with more baloney. You blocked the guy that called you out. If you’re right simply restate what you said with examples of vehicles. That’s it. Otherwise admit you got caught up and exaggerated and were wrong. It’s not a big deal. Wow, ego is something. People would rather double down on bs, looking dumber than they originally did, than admit error. Never understood it.

Get off of the with and without rollout thing, every freaking car manufacturer on the planet has used the rollout measurement for multiple decades.

All these people pretending to be car enthusiasts all of a sudden are familiar with a one foot roll out with The 0 to 60 times only because Tesla started typing it on their statistics pages, before that no one knew anything about it except for actual car people
That’s good to know I am
Not huge on car knowledge just accepted my 3LR and supper happy with the car. Thanks for
The info already getting tested by people on the freeway already seems people want to see how slow their combustion car is haha

Reactions: Sam1
The info already getting tested by people on the freeway already seems people want to see how slow their combustion car is haha

FWIW, doing pulls at freeways speeds is not the the Model 3’s strong suit. Most performance ICE based vehicles will pull away from the M3 with ease at higher speeds. I have done it and had it done to me in my M3P. The Model 3’s strength is down low in those 0-60mph, 30-60mph sprints.

These cars have a tendency to feel faster than they really are because of how the power is delivered with the instant torque response but after the instant burst and squirt torque doesn’t build anymore and there is no gearing to help maintain torque. This is where the Model S Plaid is super impressive and overcomes these shortcomings but at a lot of cost.

FWIW, doing pulls at freeways speeds is not the the Model 3’s strong suit.
Honestly will never understand how 70+mph racing means ANYTHING to normal street driving.

On 2-lane roads, the M3P’s instant acceleration means passing is ridiculously easy - THAT’S where a car’s performance is important - not some mythical 3 AM roll racing in “Mexico”.

In other words, 99% of the time the M3P is quicker than 99% of the traffic you’ll ever encounter.

I couldn’t give a sh*t about the other 0.5% of the situations, but if that’s the most important factor to you and you bought an M3P you bought the wrong car. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW, doing pulls at freeways speeds is not the the Model 3’s strong suit. Most performance ICE based vehicles will pull away from the M3 with ease at higher speeds. I have done it and had it done to me in my M3P. The Model 3’s strength is down low in those 0-60mph, 30-60mph sprints.

These cars have a tendency to feel faster than they really are because of how the power is delivered with the instant torque response but after the instant burst and squirt torque doesn’t build anymore and there is no gearing to help maintain torque. This is where the Model S Plaid is super impressive and overcomes these shortcomings but at a lot of cost.
I agree

Honestly will never understand how 70+mph racing means ANYTHING to normal street driving.

On 2-lane roads, the M3P’s instant acceleration means passing is ridiculously easy - THAT’S where a car’s performance is important - not some mythical 3 AM roll racing in “Mexico”.

In other words, 99% of the time the M3P is quicker than 99% of the traffic you’ll ever encounter.

I couldn’t give a sh*t about the other 0.5% of the situations, but if that’s the most important factor to you and you bought an M3P you bought the wrong car. 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree for typical street driving. In fact, you don't need a M3P, the SR+ has more than enough power for spirited driving on the street, muh cheaper and IMO handles better as well. I am referring to the total performance envelope. For folks who like to track their cars the Model 3 feels unbalanced, it is extremely strong down low but kind of weak in comparison up top. Tesla recognized this and created the Model S Plaid. Porsche did as well and put a 2-speed gearbox in the Taycan to improve high speed performance. We just need this tech to come down in price and make its way into the $60k price point.

For example, if you compare these two cars, trying to keep the price in the same range, you can see they are at least in the same ballpark to 60mph, but after that the Camaro ZL1, Hellcats, GT500s, Corvette C8s, etc. have a lot more pull up top, so much so that they are able to close the gap by the end of the 1/4 mile and trap at 10-15mph higher. This power is very much appreciated when tracking a car.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.31.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.32.23 PM.png

Totally agree for typical street driving.
Got it - so you agree that the way the Model 3 performs is ideally suited for street driving.

I dunno about you, but I spent 99.9% of my time driving my car both on the street, and below 90 mph.

You must spend a LOT of time on racetracks or airstrips or roll racing at 3 AM in Mexico to put as much importance as you do on performance metrics that literally don't matter at all 99% of the time....

That's cool, and that's your prerogative, but I'll never understand it....

Got it - so you agree that the way the Model 3 performs is ideally suited for street driving.

I dunno about you, but I spent 99.9% of my time driving my car both on the street, and below 90 mph.

You must spend a LOT of time on racetracks or airstrips or roll racing at 3 AM in Mexico to put as much importance as you do on performance metrics that literally don't matter at all 99% of the time....

That's cool, and that's your prerogative, but I'll never understand it....
A Toyota Corolla is also ideally suited for street driving but that wouldn't be much fun for car enthusiasts to discuss on a forum. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Dude, ya shot your mouth off, got called on it and then started with more baloney. You blocked the guy that called you out. If you’re right simply restate what you said with examples of vehicles. That’s it. Otherwise admit you got caught up and exaggerated and were wrong. It’s not a big deal. Wow, ego is something. People would rather double down on bs, looking dumber than they originally did, than admit error. Never understood it.
Not true, I blocked him a year ago because he argues with everyone over everything, that disagrees with him, constantly trying to prove he's right on technicality and not on substance. I'd suggest you read my follow up posts before making an assertion on the rest of it.

Not true, I blocked him a year ago because he argues with everyone over everything

YM
Because he called out yet another factually untrue claim you made and provided sources showing it was untrue
HTH!

As I mentioned- if you dislike someone pointing out your own claim is wrong- try to be less wrong in the future.

Blocking those correcting misinformation usually leads to the opposite result though- echo chambers rarely contain much truth.

The model 3P is mighty impressive down low but above 60mph it's performance drops off a ton.

Max torque occurs at 40mph.
Max horsepower is at 60mph.

Above that there's a steep dropoff....it's not much of a performance car at 90+.
The new plaid is 50% faster in the lower speeds but gets to be 300% faster when speeds creep above 80.

The model Y performance does have more power out of the same battery and motors (if I'm correct). So maybe it's possible.
I'll take any free power upgrades :)

I'm also excited for when they bring the plaid technology to the 3P. It will happen at some point and if it also comes with 4680s...it will be a great upgrade.

Reactions: Sam1 and raptor5244