Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Acceleration Software Limited? [model 3P]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question,

I use to have a MYLR and i ultimately bought the acceleration boost and loved it. I now have a M3P coming in December and also cannot wait to get into it. Here's my question, do you think Tesla will ever offer a sort of acceleration boost for M3P? like increase the 60-100 or 0-60 or give more power than what it has now? Or do they keep it where it is so i does not out shine their more expensive cars? I know over the past year or two we have seen some power gains as well, any thoughts that they give another out any time soon? Thanks!
-K

Quick question,

I use to have a MYLR and i ultimately bought the acceleration boost and loved it. I now have a M3P coming in December and also cannot wait to get into it. Here's my question, do you think Tesla will ever offer a sort of acceleration boost for M3P? like increase the 60-100 or 0-60 or give more power than what it has now? Or do they keep it where it is so i does not out shine their more expensive cars? I know over the past year or two we have seen some power gains as well, any thoughts that they give another out any time soon? Thanks!
-K
The M3P isn't even remotely close to the performance on the new plaid, and the model s is a completely different customer base. There's no reason they should be restricting the M3P at this point. With that said, I'd be surprised if there are any major upgrades implemented before the structural battery pack change for the 3/y. Which kind of sucks, because most manufacturers have similar ICE vehicles that can turn as fast if not faster 0-60 and 1/4 times at this point.

Quick question,

-K
I've had my 2021 3P for about 3 weeks now, first EV. absolutely love it and to not get too used to the power/performance, I try not to gun it every other chance I get. plus, unless I'm driving during my early morning commute, there's simply too many cars on the road to use most of the power safely. after watching the dragtimes vid where they dyno the MYP and M3P, I think there's definitely some power left on the table for our 3P's. if they offered a boost upgrade, I'd jump on it. I'm actually refraining from buying any mods for the car bc I'd rather use that money for any potential boost upgrade but, not holding my breath, either.

Which kind of sucks, because most manufacturers have similar ICE vehicles that can turn as fast if not faster 0-60 and 1/4 times at this point.

They do? Which Manufacturers 4 door sedans have "as fast or faster 0-60 1/4 times" as a model 3 Performance?

Last time someone talked about "cars as fast as a model 3 performance, 0-60, it certainly was not "most manufactures" nor was it "4 door sedans", so I am curious what cars these are.

I found this list, not sure how accurate it is...

Bunch of porsches' bugatti's pagani's (and tesla plaid / S / X). I dont see "most manufacturers having "similar" ICE vehicles because none of those are similar, but I also know you have a lot of interest in this topic so am interested to hear what these are.

Last edited:
They do? Which Manufacturers 4 door sedans have "as fast or faster 0-60 1/4 times" as a model 3 Performance?

Last time someone talked about "cars as fast as a model 3 performance, 0-60, it certainly was not "most manufactures" nor was it "4 door sedans", so I am curious what cars these are.
I always default to... stage 1 or better rs3 lol.
Mainly because I was looking to buy a tte700 rs3 and said "i do not want to pay to fix this." So, that is how I bought a M3P.
Always miss the sound of the I5, and the acceleration over 70+mph. The little extra room of the model 3 is nice though.

I always default to... stage 1 or better rs3 lol.
Mainly because I was looking to buy a tte700 rs3 and said "i do not want to pay to fix this." So, that is how I bought a M3P.
Always miss the sound of the I5, and the acceleration over 70+mph. The little extra room of the model 3 is nice though.

Quickly googling, a RS 3 seems to be 3.8 seconds (LR AWD speed after acceleration boost). How much does it cost to go from 3.8 to 3.1 with the tune you are talking about?

Quickly googling, a RS 3 seems to be 3.8 seconds (LR AWD speed after acceleration boost). How much does it cost to go from 3.8 to 3.1 with the tune you are talking about?
on that topic, the 2022 RS3 does 3.1 off the assembly line.

As for the other cars, having a four door or a coupe is not a limiting factor for most people when looking at performance aspects. Once you get into pigeonholing a specific criteria, then you can get down to "this one has 20" wheels, that one does not". "this one has a spoiler, that one does not". "this one has a wider stance, that one does not" etc and it can go on for days explaining away why one is faster than the other...in the end, one is faster and the rest is irrelevant.

Reactions: xPETEx and Pyre
on that topic, the 2022 RS3 does 3.1 off the assembly line.

As for the other cars, having a four door or a coupe is not a limiting factor for most people when looking at performance aspects. Once you get into pigeonholing a specific criteria, then you can get down to "this one has 20" wheels, that one does not". "this one has a spoiler, that one does not". "this one has a wider stance, that one does not" etc and it can go on for days explaining away why one is faster than the other...in the end, one is faster and the rest is irrelevant.

But... you said "most manufacturers have Similar ICE". So, what are these most manufacturers and similar ICE? I dont want to put words in your mouth so I am not going to assume what models you are talking about. I cant find many cars similar at this speed, but I couldnt even see specs for the RS3 at 3.1, I saw 3.8 but didnt check year so will assume I did not look at the upcoming model.

I think APR stage 1 is $700. And even if the RS3 0-60 is only 3.0 or 3.3 or 3.5, still is almost 1 whole second faster in quarter mile and traps like another 15mph.
But then we argue warranty, i think APR sells a factory "plus" that keeps warranty.
Once we get to this point it is all about launching and "driver mods" for whats faster.

I think what we all need. Is a 2023 dodge omni that runs high 9s.

Last edited:
At what point do the 0-60mph not matter really anymore? I think we are at that point. I would rather EV manufacturers figure out how to make them more fun to drive. More power at higher speeds, weight reduction, convertibles, sportier interiors, drive modes, aggressive styling, etc.
Did you just say more acceleration is no longer necesssary?!?! You will get it and you will like it.

Attachments

• enjoy-it-you-magnificent-bastard.jpg
    enjoy-it-you-magnificent-bastard.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 111
But... you said "most manufacturers have Similar ICE". So, what are these most manufacturers and similar ICE? I dont want to put words in your mouth so I am not going to assume what models you are talking about. I cant find many cars similar at this speed, but I couldnt even see specs for the RS3 at 3.1, I saw 3.8 but didnt check year so will assume I did not look at the upcoming model.
This is a perfect example of why people make fun of tesla owners. Almost every single time a debate comes up, they try to use technicalities to make sure that the tesla comes out on top of the comparison.

To be less specific, name an ICE vehicle in the same price range and I can probably pull up a faster time slip than the fastest gutted M3P has ever turned, and did it while costing less than the M3P. But then the argument of "but they were on radials" or "but that was at the track" "but that's not a stock car". Just because a tesla can't be modded, doesn't mean that every other car should only be compared in stock trim, because they CAN be modded.

I think APR stage 1 is $700. And even if the RS3 0-60 is only 3.0 or 3.3 or 3.5, still is almost 1 whole second faster in quarter mile and traps like another 15mph.
But then we argue warranty, i think APR sells a factory "plus" that keeps warranty.
Once we get to this point it is all about launching and "driver mods" for whats faster.

I think what we all need. Is a 2023 dodge omni that runs high 9s.

It's a 1986, not a 2023, but it is a dodge omni and does run 9's :) ... and holy crap does that driver have titanium testes!

This is a perfect example of why people make fun of tesla owners. Almost every single time a debate comes up, they try to use technicalities to make sure that the tesla comes out on top of the comparison.

It's not a technicality.

It's literally your own, factually wrong, claim

MOST ICE makers do not offer any new vehicles as quick 0-60 as the Model 3 P.

When asked to support your claim they DO- you're not able to- because your claim is false.

To be less specific, name an ICE vehicle in the same price range and I can probably pull up a faster time slip

As it's delivered from the factory?

Or with many many thousands of dollars of mods that hurt reliability and rip up the new car warranty?

Talk about using technicalities to come out on top!

Anyway- Toyota doesn't sell anything that runs 3.1 0-60. Neither does Lexus. Neither does Honda (though Acura technically does- for $170,000)...Neither does Mitsubishi. Neither does Subaru. Neither does Volvo. Neither does Ford (though the GT500 is only a couple of tenths slower, at again a MUCH higher price). I think BMW and Mercedes probably have at least 1 model as quick or quicker but again price is gonna be 2-3x minimum a 3P. VW has nothing this quick. Audi? MAYBE the RS3 but I'm gonna need a source saying 3.1- car and driver (which includes rollout) tested 3.4.

This isn't a technicality- it your claim being wrong and you trying to tap dance rather than admit it.

It's a 1986, not a 2023, but it is a dodge omni and does run 9's :) ... and holy crap does that driver have titanium testes!

I hope we can still do crap like this one day in a pure EV world. At least we are starting to see EV crate motors for resto mods and such but we have got to do something about the lack of sound and driving engagement. The reason driving that 1986 Omni down a drag strip is fun is because he built it himself and from a driving perspective he needs to get some heat in the tires, launch it just right, shift it just right, weather conditions matter, etc. It is a challenge to tune the car better and improve driving technique.

With my Tesla, SoC high, check, plant foot, check, listen to the wind and tire noise build and hey look, another 11.50. Rinse, repeat. Technology-wise the consistency of an EV is very impressive, fun factor, eh.

Reactions: Sam1
It's not a technicality.

It's literally your own, factually wrong, claim

MOST ICE makers do not offer any new vehicles as quick 0-60 as the Model 3 P.

When asked to support your claim they DO- you're not able to- because your claim is false.
I think it is important to define quick. If we are only comparing 0-60mph times then yes EVs with instant torque, AWD with advanced traction control will be quicker out of the hole to roughly 60mph but there are many ICE vehicles in the same price range as a M3P that are quite a bit faster once both cars are moving. If you factor in a road course the Tesla M3P would get slaughtered by a $42k Camaro SS 1LE vs. a $59k M3P. Take note of the braking and lateral acceleration and the Camaro has a manual transmission. it puts down even better numbers with the A10 auto. If you compare a ZL1 for $67k the 1/4mi times would be the roughly the same but with 650hp/650tq the ZL1 will trap at 125mph vs. 115mph on the Tesla. Throw a C8 Corvette into the mix for $62.5k base price and now you are pulling 0-60mph times of 3.1 sec, 2.9 sec if you add the Z51 package. 1/4 mi in the low 11s. So now you have a faster car in a straight line and around the track and looks the part for similar money as a M3P.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 9.12.29 AM.png

Reactions: Sam1
I think it is important to define quick.

He did. In his own words.

Sam1 said:
most manufacturers have similar ICE vehicles that can turn as fast if not faster 0-60

Which, of course, is not remotely a true statement.

If you want to argue there's some comparable priced cars that can beat a Model 3 at autocross or the Nürburgring or something- sure.

But that's not the claim he made.

And the actual thread title is specifically about purely acceleration.

I think it is important to define quick. If we are only comparing 0-60mph times then yes EVs with instant torque, AWD with advanced traction control will be quicker out of the hole to roughly 60mph but there are many ICE vehicles in the same price range as a M3P that are quite a bit faster once both cars are moving. If you factor in a road course the Tesla M3P would get slaughtered by a $42k Camaro SS 1LE vs. a $59k M3P. Take note of the braking and lateral acceleration and the Camaro has a manual transmission. it puts down even better numbers with the A10 auto. If you compare a ZL1 for $67k the 1/4mi times would be the roughly the same but with 650hp/650tq the ZL1 will trap at 125mph vs. 115mph on the Tesla. Throw a C8 Corvette into the mix for $62.5k base price and now you are pulling 0-60mph times of 3.1 sec, 2.9 sec if you add the Z51 package. 1/4 mi in the low 11s. So now you have a faster car in a straight line and around the track and looks the part for similar money as a M3P.

View attachment 733900
Not sure who your were replying to since whoever it is, is on my ignore list. But it sounds like from your response that it is another person trying to argue another technicality to make sure that tesla doesn't lose any online debate. It's best to not engage, because no matter if you had a $7,000 brand new vehicle that surpassed a tesla in every specification, they would still say something like "yeah, but it doesn't have an option to use quick controls on the screen menu for steering wheel manipulation, so the tesla is better".

Reactions: raptor5244