Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on 101N at Gilroy. I had just merged on to the highway and was on the lane next to the rightmost lane. Within few mins and huge car came and crashed into my Tesla model 3 from the rear right side. He was driving so fast that I completely lost control and drove all the way diagonally towards the left and hit a wired fence on the highway. The other driver fled the scene. Unfortunately all my dash cam videos are corrupted. I tried really hard to re-cover them but in vain. The car is badly damaged. It's a 2017 model. It's being taken to the body shop now but I feel it will be totaled :( :(

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm already very apprehensive about the long struggle ahead with the insurance guys. (Geico). The supervisor will probably take a look at the car on Monday to decide on either repairing or totaling the car.
I have the following concerns
a) Driving a repaired car for the rest of it's life.
b) As I researched on internet, repair timelines are 5-6 months, I'll have to arrange for mode of transportation.
Has anyone else gone through this? What do you think is better in this situation? Getting repaired or pushing for totaling it?

This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm already very apprehensive about the long struggle ahead with the insurance guys. (Geico). The supervisor will probably take a look at the car on Monday to decide on either repairing or totaling the car.
I have the following concerns
a) Driving a repaired car for the rest of it's life.
b) As I researched on internet, repair timelines are 5-6 months, I'll have to arrange for mode of transportation.
Has anyone else gone through this? What do you think is better in this situation? Getting repaired or pushing for totaling it?

Shouldn't be more than a few weeks to fix plus time to get the parts.
Is the car driveable, or can be made driveable, just drive it until the parts are available.

Nowadays, Tesla is a lot better at having parts in stock and because the Model 3 is a high(er) volume unit, you should have good luck with that.

Here are some pictures. The car is scratched all over as the wired fence fell on it. They'll probably have to replace the entire body and thats why I feel it will be totaled. The right rear end is severely damaged. That's where the other car hit me. It just hurts so much to even look at these pictures :(

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.42 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.42 PM (1).jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 103
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.42 PM.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.43 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 12.10.43 PM.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 81
Here are some pictures. The car is scratched all over as the wired fence fell on it. They'll probably have to replace the entire body and thats why I feel it will be totaled. The right rear end is severely damaged. That's where the other car hit me. It just hurts so much to even look at these pictures :(
Sucks that you're going through this. I was hit earlier this year and went through it too.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's just external panels that are scratched, those are relatively inexpensive to replace vs structural repair. No one will know for sure until it's taken apart at the shop.

• Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt
Really really sorry to hear about this .. there is something really despicable about hit and runs, I dont think there is a word in the language adequate to describe them. At least you were able to walk away, which at the end of the day is the most important. As others who have been through this kind of thing (twice in my case), you will feel shaken and a bit "out of this world" for a few days, and as you state you just want to ignore it and pretend it never happened. That's normal, it takes your brain a while to get things stabilized. In the meantime get someone you trust and know well to discuss things with, and go with you to talk to insurance etc .. they can help keep your perspective normal when your brain is a bit fuzzy.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Oh, man, it hurts just to look at those photos. And I wasn't the one in the car, so I'm sure it's orders of magnitude more painful for you.

I was on 101N at Gilroy. I had just merged on to the highway and was on the lane next to the rightmost lane. Within few mins and huge car came and crashed into my Tesla model 3 from the rear right side. He was driving so fast that I completely lost control and drove all the way diagonally towards the left and hit a wired fence on the highway. The other driver fled the scene. Unfortunately all my dash cam videos are corrupted. I tried really hard to re-cover them but in vain. The car is badly damaged. It's a 2017 model. It's being taken to the body shop now but I feel it will be totaled :( :(

Try accessing Tesla EDR, as described in the article (it contains Tesla EDR page link): Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve 'blackbox data' after a crash - Electrek

I have one another question. The address on the car registration is different from the address on my insurance. I'm not the primary owner of the car. I was recently added to the insurance. Will this cause any issue in the claim with the adjuster?