Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm feeling pretty bumbed out that my 2020 Tesla Model 3 with only around 5k miles was involved in an accident this past Sunday. Some lady driving a Honda CRV failed to yield while making a left turn and crashed into the left side of my model 3. This is the first car accident I have been involved in so it felt like everything happend so quick. I did not even get a chance to speak with the other party because local PD arrived so quick and separated both parties.

The messed up part is it was my son's birthday that day and we were on our way to pick up his presents for him. However, I'm just glad my family came out with just minor pain and aches only from the accident.

I'm not looking forward in dealing with either insurance even though the accident wasn't our fault. I was reading past forums and people mentioned Dimished Value and it would be great if anyone can refer me to an appraiser in the Sacramento, Ca area. If the car was repaired the value wouldn't be the same anymore with the accident on the title.

Attachments

• 20201129_173629.jpg
    20201129_173629.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 521
  • 20201129_173625.jpg
    20201129_173625.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 372
I've seen a few of these and once again, I'm impressed how well a small car like this is taking these hits. Bad looking car damage but low people damage. Best of luck and glad you are not hurt.
Thanks for the concern. Safety is definitely a plus for this vehicle. I remember speaking with one of the first responder (fireman) and he said something along the line of, " Wow, the frame of the car held up pretty well considering everything around it was badly damaged." I guess being a first responder he's seen plenty of accident and was fairly impressed by the model Model 3 build.

I'm not looking forward in dealing with either insurance even though the accident wasn't our fault. I was reading past forums and people mentioned Dimished Value and it would be great if anyone can refer me to an appraiser in the Sacramento, Ca area. If the car was repaired the value wouldn't be the same anymore with the accident on the title.

I don't think you have to worry about diminished value unless the insurance company totals it, meaning they choose not to fix it out of cost of whatever other internal reason they have, and you buy it back from them at it's salvage value. So either:

1. Insurance fixes it. Problem solved. No loss in value. There's no dmv record of any repair. Everything should be renewed and you don't ever have to tell anyone about the repairs, though I think you should, if you ever want to sell it.

2. Insurance totals it.
a. You get paid out.
b. Insurance company acquires the car, reports total loss to dmv, dmv issues a salvage certificate (not a title) to the car/insurance company. At this point you can ask to buy back the car at it's salvage value. You still have the car in your possession. Every insurance company has a salvage value in mind and I think since you're the customer they'd be glad to offer it to you. It's less work for them then to go to sell it at auction.
c. You fix it, or get it fixed on your own, get the inspections done, and re-register it with a branded title (salvage title in most states, some call it by different terms). Now you have a diminished value car but you still paid a low price for it and you got paid out for your loss. win. win.

I don't think you have to worry about diminished value unless the insurance company totals it, meaning they choose not to fix it out of cost of whatever other internal reason they have, and you buy it back from them at it's salvage value. So either:

1. Insurance fixes it. Problem solved. No loss in value. There's no dmv record of any repair. Everything should be renewed and you don't ever have to tell anyone about the repairs, though I think you should, if you ever want to sell it.

A lot of misinformation here. If insurance elects to fix the car, the repair will absolutely show up on the Carfax - majority of bodyshops and insurance co report to Carfax - which will negatively impact its value in the future. In this scenario you should seek compensation for diminished value.

It is very likely the police report indicating the car has been in an accident has already been reported to Carfax.

2. Insurance totals it.
a. You get paid out.
b. Insurance company acquires the car, reports total loss to dmv, dmv issues a salvage certificate (not a title) to the car/insurance company. At this point you can ask to buy back the car at it's salvage value. You still have the car in your possession. Every insurance company has a salvage value in mind and I think since you're the customer they'd be glad to offer it to you. It's less work for them then to go to sell it at auction.
c. You fix it, or get it fixed on your own, get the inspections done, and re-register it with a branded title (salvage title in most states, some call it by different terms). Now you have a diminished value car but you still paid a low price for it and you got paid out for your loss. win. win.

In the more likely event that insurance totals out the car, yes, OP could purchase back their salvaged car and repair it themselves. However, I would guess that 95+% of people in this situation do not do this, and I do not see any inclination from the OP that they wish to go through that hassle. It is far more likely OP will go purchase a new Tesla after being made whole for their totaled out car.

Glad you and yours are okay. Also glad the police showed up and that a police report was taken. That should help with your case a whole lot since you weren't at-fault.

FSD probably wouldn't have cut you off like that. It's already better than so many human drivers!

I'm feeling pretty bumbed out that my 2020 Tesla Model 3 with only around 5k miles was involved in an accident this past Sunday. Some lady driving a Honda CRV failed to yield while making a left turn and crashed into the left side of my model 3. This is the first car accident I have been involved in so it felt like everything happend so quick. I did not even get a chance to speak with the other party because local PD arrived so quick and separated both parties.

The messed up part is it was my son's birthday that day and we were on our way to pick up his presents for him. However, I'm just glad my family came out with just minor pain and aches only from the accident.

Totally a bummer man. I hope they total you car so you can get a pristine new one. Happy you’re OK. Let us know how you make out.

For sure this will be declared a total loss by insurance. I just now saw the pics. I'm new to this forum and simply didn't see that the pics were posted in the OP. Anyway... Fender support damage and b-pillar damage. Even though b-pillar doesn't look bent it's high strength/stiff steel in that section and is essentially unrepairable, I think. I haven't looked at the repair guide from tesla lately but I remember usually things like the main rails or fender supports can be removed/replaced and rivet bonded repaired but I don't think the b pillar can be. And even if it can be rivet-bonded repaired the labor cost will be prohibitive.

As stated, glad you are okay. Always the most important thing.
I agree that it would likely be totaled. However it goes, it seems to never be a good outcome. There is the hassle of getting a rental car and then, when the insurance makes a decision, dealing with either the repair shop (and the car is never the same, despite the best intentions and work done.) Or they send you a check, which might cover what you have in the car, but in my experience is always slightly short of getting a new replacement vehicle. If you have a policy that specifies a new replace,et car, that would be great. I don’t have that, so I can’t say. Maybe it is nice and easy Nd you get a newer/better car?
In two cases I have asked about purchasing the car as salvage and was offered a price that was so high it wasn’t nearly worth trying to repair it myself.
Tesla cars are also different in other ways for repairing a salvage. They don’t have parts or they don’t make them readily available for individuals since they do not want salvaged Teslas on the road.
Any time a Tesla gets into an accident it seems to make the news, so it makes sense they wouldn’t want a repaired car on the road that might misrepresent their brand. Of course it can be done, but it would involve more legwork to get parts and information.
i haven’t seen a Haynes or a factory repair manual for a Tesla yet.

Glad everyone is OK - that's the only thing that really matters here. The rest is metal, glass and money.

You want this totaled out; that's a pretty substantial amount of damage. Take the insurance company's check, and go get yourself a new Model 3 (or maybe even Model Y!)

If you have Dashcam footage, preserve it. You may need that later if the other person's insurance company puts up a fight.

I strongly suggest dealing with your own insurance - they have an army of lawyers that are there to protect their (and, by dint of being their customer - your) interests. Let them fight with the at-fault party's insurance.

You don't have to accept the first total value offer, either. If you feel it's undervalued, you have the right to negotiate. It's not "take it or leave it".

Best of luck - it's a lousy circumstance, but your family's well being is the primary factor and honestly - I've seen enough of these Tesla accidents now to know you're not going to put your family in any safer vehicle on the road today.

Happy belated birthday to your son. Sounds like maybe presents AND an ice cream cake are in order!

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin