Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Accounted For Over Half Of All Midsize Luxury Car Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 leads the midsize luxury segment in the U.S.

According to the latest sales data of the midsize luxury segment gathered by Good Car Bad Car, combined with IinsideEVs’s own Tesla Model 3 sales estimation in the U.S., the newest Tesla makes a kind earthquake in its class.

In October 2018, Tesla sold approximately 17,750 Model 3, while the overall sales of midsize luxury cars was 34,078, which translates to 52% for the Model 3.

The question is whether Tesla is expanding the segment or gobbling up sales of other models?

A year ago, sales of midsize luxury cars in October amounted to 19,158 (including about 145 Model 3), which means that this year the segment grew by 14,920.

It leads us to the conclusion that Tesla Model 3 sales mostly expand the midsize luxury segment, and partially (by about 15%) grabbed sales from others compared to the previous year (in very simple terms).

A Similar situation is on our radar for the first 10 months of 2018. Sales of midsize luxury cars so far this year hit 257,145 (including about 96,417 Model 3, according to Good Car Bad Car), while a year ago it was 185,983. The segment grew by 71,162, so Tesla again consumed over 13% (about 25,000) of other manufacturers’ sales in 2017.

Source: Good Car Bad Car

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Tesla is a luxury car now? That’s funny. When legitimate gripes about the fit and finish are made all I ever hear is how it’s not a luxury brand and not to expect them to be on par with the Germans.

And that was in the days of the model S :O

Seriously, what makes the model 3 a luxury car? Do they do this based on price alone?

I love my model 3 to bits, but it's about as luxurious as my wife's VW.

What’s interesting is that the Model 3 is in the same price class as cars that are considered “luxury”, and it is selling like crazy. Ask the average American how much a “luxury” car costs and I expect they will say something like “over $50,000”. The vast majority of Model 3’s that have been sold in the US cost more than $50,000.

Reactions: CarlK
If the model 3 were ranked in the class of vehicles it is intended to compete with it would be absolutely buried in terms of sales.

When you toss it in the luxury class the numbers look a lot more rosey.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
Many people use "luxury" to define this price segment. Others might use the term "premium". Either way no one has sold this many cars in this price segment before. Tesla is not just getting buyers from the luxury car market but also buyers who have never been in this market segment before. Kind of like the iPhone in the beginning. There were people who own high end phones like the Blackberry but most people thought I don't need to pay the money for an expensive phone like that. iPhone totally changed that. It's the same here. It's not the same luxury/premium car market like before. Tesla created its own new market.

Last edited:
Premium branding -- Volvo, Buick, Infiniti, Acura. -- Using that - Tesla is eating the entire segment + most Luxury too.
Only 4 sedans beat this 1st year model production run in numbers--Camry, Corolla, Civic and Accord. And there's pretty good evidence that there's a fair amount of stretch upsells from that segment too.

Okay... So reword it then. Model 3 is outselling every four-door sedan in it's price bracket.

That fact that some consider it not to be "luxury" enough speaks volumes about how easily it is outselling these cars that have supposedly better quality.