Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 addon dashboard $575

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ Here's how I think it works but I won't know for sure until I get my hands on it. Wireless CarPlay devices, in this case the new touchscreen device, require both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in order to communicate with the iPhone - Bluetooth to pair and Wi-Fi for data transfer (audio, video, navi map info, etc.). The device then uses Bluetooth to pair itself to the car which sends along the audio for phone conversations and music. So your phone is no longer paired directly to the car, but uses the device as a passthrough for audio via Bluetooth. Looking at the specs for the new device it has Wi-Fi and two Bluetooth modules. But there's also the possibility that the audio is sent through the wiring harness that connects the device to the car. Like I said earlier, I won't know anything until I get my hands on it.

Note to moderator: This is really getting off the original topic so I will no longer be commenting on the new V2 touchscreen here so feel free to move it.

Last edited:
^^^ Here's how I think it works but I won't know for sure until I get my hands on it. Wireless CarPlay devices, in this case the new touchscreen device, require both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in order to communicate with the iPhone - Bluetooth to pair and Wi-Fi for data transfer (audio, video, navi map info, etc.). The device then uses Bluetooth to pair itself to the car which sends along the audio for phone conversations and music. So your phone is no longer paired directly to the car, but uses the device as a passthrough for audio via Bluetooth. Looking at the specs for the new device it has Wi-Fi and two Bluetooth modules. But there's also the possibility that the audio is sent through the wiring harness that connects the device to the car. Like I said earlier, I won't know anything until I get my hands on it.

Note to moderator: This is really getting off the original topic so I will no longer be commenting on the new V2 touchscreen here so feel free to move it.

If everything goes over bluetooth to the car I don’t think it will be pretty (I mean sound pretty). You won’t be using the Mic’s in car any more. And I doubt you’ll be able to initiate a call from steering wheel buttons.

I don’t think this is off topic at all. We are talking about how an aftermarket device (that offers CarPlay) might deal with audio.

I think that’s a heck of lot better than folks bashing each other over spoiling the minimalist look and feel.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Don't need two displays right now I have looked at that its nice because because it uses Apple play but that's really it very expensive right now and not worth it ti me right now. And yes Venders should be paying a fee for the use of this site.

I will add, there isnt any "requirement" that someone has the product that they are asking about / posting about, nor is there a requirement to even have a tesla. @DanCar 's signature seems to indicate that they no longer have a tesla, and thats fine.

There is a line between that, and advertising (or trolling), however. I am not accusing anyone of anything, just stating my beliefs that:

1. Its not necessary to have the product you are asking about to post about it.
2. Its not even necessary to have the car the product goes in, to ask about it / post about it
3. irregardless of the above 2 points, if it looks like advertising, or trolling, I will probably move it / delete it.

"Irregardless" is a double negative, and grammatically clunky. You could have saved a couple keystrokes by just typing regardless. They mean the same thing. ;)

That said, I 100% agree with your assessment of this situation.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC