Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 and Zappi v2 Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what could be issue with my Zappi v2 and Tesla Model 3.

I've had both since around April, never had any issues (and I charge every day) until about a month or two ago.
Suddenly charging kept stopping after a few mins of plugging in. It would only happen every 3-4 charges. I would need to unplug and plug back in then seemed to be OK.

I thought initially a software issue with Tesla, but since updated 3-4 times and no change.
I've also just updated the Zappi to latest version and also powered it completely off and on.

It appears to be getting worse as it's doing it every time now while plugged in charging keeps stopping and starting. It does appear to actually charge the vehicle in between all these stops/starts.

Before Latest updates it was just showing charging stopped in the Tesla, but now showing "charging equipment not recognised". See screenshots.

The charging cable plug is not damaged and is very clean/not wet.

The Tesla charging port is clean although the top right pin looks recessed more than the others, but I think that's normal?

I've charged at Tesla Superchargers 3-4 times over last couple of months and no issues (apart from not being charged for one session 😀).

Zappi Software: v3.175
Tesla Software: 2022.36.2

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20221016_104736.jpg
    20221016_104736.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20221016_104727.jpg
    20221016_104727.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 109
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what could be issue with my Zappi v2 and Tesla Model 3.

I've had both since around April, never had any issues (and I charge every day) until about a month or two ago.
Suddenly charging kept stopping after a few mins of plugging in. It would only happen every 3-4 charges. I would need to unplug and plug back in then seemed to be OK.

I thought initially a software issue with Tesla, but since updated 3-4 times and no change.
I've also just updated the Zappi to latest version and also powered it completely off and on.

It appears to be getting worse as it's doing it every time now while plugged in charging keeps stopping and starting. It does appear to actually charge the vehicle in between all these stops/starts.

Before Latest updates it was just showing charging stopped in the Tesla, but now showing "charging equipment not recognised". See screenshots.

The charging cable plug is not damaged and is very clean/not wet.

The Tesla charging port is clean although the top right pin looks recessed more than the others, but I think that's normal?

I've charged at Tesla Superchargers 3-4 times over last couple of months and no issues (apart from not being charged for one session 😀).

Zappi Software: v3.175
Tesla Software: 2022.36.2

Any ideas?
I am on Zappi v2 and have software 4.133 but it is the Zappi Hub. There is a Zappi reboot: touch menu key once to get to menus, then press and hold menu key until it starts to reboot.
What mode are you in? It sounds like you are on an eco+ smart boost, where it tests the charge speed for a short time (so looks like it is charging) and then works out when to start charging, working back from a set time.
Try just setting to ‘fast’ mode?

I am on Zappi v2 and have software 4.133 but it is the Zappi Hub. There is a Zappi reboot: touch menu key once to get to menus, then press and hold menu key until it starts to reboot.
What mode are you in? It sounds like you are on an eco+ smart boost, where it tests the charge speed for a short time (so looks like it is charging) and then works out when to start charging, working back from a set time.
Try just setting to ‘fast’ mode?
Thanks for responding.

My hub is version 3.077 which is latest software. So both hub and zappi are on the newest software.

The zappi is on "fast" mode so not on eco. Its always been on fast mode.

I powered it off and on before. I'll try the reboot too but not sure how that will help.

Thanks for responding.

My hub is version 3.077 which is latest software. So both hub and zappi are on the newest software.

The zappi is on "fast" mode so not on eco. Its always been on fast mode.

I powered it off and on before. I'll try the reboot too but not sure how that will help.
Are you able to connect the Zappi direct to internet. I had hub (also have Eddi) but got rid - connected Zappi to Wi-Fi and made it the master. Much more stable.

Do you have the slow Tesla "granny" charger to try? Just to narrow down where the issue night be. If that works without any issues, it kinda points to the Zappi at fault.

The superchargers work differently, as they are DC chargers rather than AC chargers at home.

Reactions: Adopado
That's absolutely normal and by design. It's so the communication pin disconnects first.

I can confirm my charge port is the same

Do you have the slow Tesla "granny" charger to try? Just to narrow down where the issue night be. If that works without any issues, it kinda points to the Zappi at fault.

The superchargers work differently, as they are DC chargers rather than AC chargers at home.
I can try that, but I have used tesla destination chargers a few times and no issue. I also just used one earlier and it was OK.

As per my suggestion on the MyEnergi forum, I would suggest charging with the granny charger (at home, to keep other variables as close as possible) to try and narrow down whether it is the Zappi or the car. If it’s an issue that’s only recently started, it could be a fault developing in either the car’s charge port or the Zappi itself or the cable.

So, I've just noticed that the one end of my cable is warm (warmer than ambient but not hot) just below the handle (where the wire feeds into the plug). This is the end that goes into the Tesla.
The other end (going into Zappi) at the same spot is not warm and no where else on the cable is...

Could this mean something wrong in the socket of the cable and causing the issue?

So, I've just noticed that the one end of my cable is warm (warmer than ambient but not hot) just below the handle (where the wire feeds into the plug). This is the end that goes into the Tesla.
The other end (going into Zappi) at the same spot is not warm and no where else on the cable is...

Could this mean something wrong in the socket of the cable and causing the issue?
Yes. I would expect the plugs to be marginally cooler than the cable itself as they are insulating the cables to a degree. To me, it a suggests a faulty crimp in that plug.

So, now I can't get the fault to occur again.
Two days of long charges, tried unplugging and replugging ...

The cable still gets warm in that exact same spot.

The only thing that has changed is that I've unlocked, unplugged and replugged in the cable on the Zappi side (untethered model)...

Reactions: Dilly
Weirdly I am having the exact same problem on my Zappi, same BMS errors in the Tesla, I spoke to MyEnergie this morning and they are replacing the zappi unit, Tesla analysed the issue over the last few days and said they were seeing proximity fluctuations of -0.3v to the proximity signal, like you mine would work sometimes and not others typically it would run ok if i charged during the day, as soon as scheduled at night bingo would come down to it having added a single kwh to the battery and the Tesla Logo light would be red.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger