Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 and Zappi v2 Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weirdly I am having the exact same problem on my Zappi, same BMS errors in the Tesla, I spoke to MyEnergie this morning and they are replacing the zappi unit, Tesla analysed the issue over the last few days and said they were seeing proximity fluctuations of -0.3v to the proximity signal, like you mine would work sometimes and not others typically it would run ok if i charged during the day, as soon as scheduled at night bingo would come down to it having added a single kwh to the battery and the Tesla Logo light would be red.

Good to know. Did you have to go to Tesla or could that analyse remotely? I haven't contacted them yet.

So, thought I'd update on my status.
Weirdly I have not had the issue since I took the cable out, tried a different one and put my original cable back in the Zappi (as it's the untethered version).

I took the car to Tesla, they thought maybe the socket was the issue on the car, they did tests, it was functioning fine.

So possibly there was a bad connection between the plug/cable and the Zappi that had occurred over time? It had never been unlocked/disconnected on the Zappi side since first install in May....

Weirdly I have not had the issue since I took the cable out, tried a different one and put my original cable back in the Zappi (as it's the untethered version).

I took the car to Tesla, they thought maybe the socket was the issue on the car, they did tests, it was functioning fine.

So possibly there was a bad connection between the plug/cable and the Zappi that had occurred over time? It had never been unlocked/disconnected on the Zappi side since first install in May....
I guess that’s the physical equivalent of switch it off and on again 😂

Reactions: Allawishous

Another reason to go with a tethered unit!

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what could be issue with my Zappi v2 and Tesla Model 3.

I've had both since around April, never had any issues (and I charge every day) until about a month or two ago.
Suddenly charging kept stopping after a few mins of plugging in. It would only happen every 3-4 charges. I would need to unplug and plug back in then seemed to be OK.

I thought initially a software issue with Tesla, but since updated 3-4 times and no change.
I've also just updated the Zappi to latest version and also powered it completely off and on.

It appears to be getting worse as it's doing it every time now while plugged in charging keeps stopping and starting. It does appear to actually charge the vehicle in between all these stops/starts.

Before Latest updates it was just showing charging stopped in the Tesla, but now showing "charging equipment not recognised". See screenshots.

The charging cable plug is not damaged and is very clean/not wet.

The Tesla charging port is clean although the top right pin looks recessed more than the others, but I think that's normal?

I've charged at Tesla Superchargers 3-4 times over last couple of months and no issues (apart from not being charged for one session 😀).

Zappi Software: v3.175
Tesla Software: 2022.36.2

Any ideas?
Ah dear! This is exactly what I’m having. Started a couple of months ago. Charges for 5 mins and then I get the notification in the Tesla app saying charge interrupted. My energies app says charge complete. Only way to fix it is go out and unplug and plug in again and hope it doesn’t stop again. Getting a bit annoying at 10pm in this weather! I’m using a tethered zappi v2. I think I’ll have to get it replaced as I’ve tried everything else. Other cars on my charger charge fine though. All very confusing!

Ah dear! This is exactly what I’m having. Started a couple of months ago. Charges for 5 mins and then I get the notification in the Tesla app saying charge interrupted. My energies app says charge complete. Only way to fix it is go out and unplug and plug in again and hope it doesn’t stop again. Getting a bit annoying at 10pm in this weather! I’m using a tethered zappi v2. I think I’ll have to get it replaced as I’ve tried everything else. Other cars on my charger charge fine though. All very confusing!
If other cars charge ok then you need to report to Tesla for service. They will check remotely first and only confirm a SC visit if necessary.

I’ve had this same issue with my tethered Zappi V2. Zappi says EV not connected and car says no power. Fiddling with the cable then gets it going so I suspect a broken comms wire about 1 m from the Zappi unit. It’s odd that it sometimes works for 5 mins and sometimes immediately knows there is an issue. Mostly, it all works fine which is almost more frustrating. I should contact Myenergi really and get the cable replaced.

I’ve had this same issue with my tethered Zappi V2. Zappi says EV not connected and car says no power. Fiddling with the cable then gets it going so I suspect a broken comms wire about 1 m from the Zappi unit. It’s odd that it sometimes works for 5 mins and sometimes immediately knows there is an issue. Mostly, it all works fine which is almost more frustrating. I should contact Myenergi really and get the cable replaced.
Apologies if this is nothing to do with it but: It's normal for the car to report no power when the Zappi is set for a schedule to start the charge later. Also the latest chargers all have to apply an automatic delay even when initiating a charge on Fast (a delay ranging from a few seconds up to 10 minutes). The car will report "no power" in that scenario too.

Apologies if this is nothing to do with it but: It's normal for the car to report no power when the Zappi is set for a schedule to start the charge later. Also the latest chargers all have to apply an automatic delay even when initiating a charge on Fast (a delay ranging from a few seconds up to 10 minutes). The car will report "no power" in that scenario too.
I wouldn’t say it has nothing to do with it but despite the functionality afforded by Zappi, I still use the car to schedule the start and effectively use the Zappi as a dumb charger. So what I’m seeing is a change from when it works as it always has.

I wouldn’t say it has nothing to do with it but despite the functionality afforded by Zappi, I still use the car to schedule the start and effectively use the Zappi as a dumb charger. So what I’m seeing is a change from when it works as it always has.
Yes, if nothing has changed and you only use Zappi in dumb (Fast) mode then it shouldn't be anything to do with my suggestion. (It did cross my mind that Myenergi may change the behaviour to introduce the delay feature in a software update to existing charge points but it's probably unlikely.) I'm only aware of how they work with the delay feature because my Zappi was replaced with the new V2 wifi (no hub) model that works like that ... and the car frequently reports "no power" (but the Zappi does respond to the car's schedule).

Reactions: Gatsojon
If your zappi shows charge complete, you can use the ME app and change it to stop mode then back to your original mode. It cancels the charge complete flag and will start charging again. At least, mine does…

Reactions: Adopado
If your zappi shows charge complete, you can use the ME app and change it to stop mode then back to your original mode. It cancels the charge complete flag and will start charging again. At least, mine does…
Yeah I’d tried all that and it didn’t work. Just wouldn’t start again. It was doing this every charge without fail. I spoke to Tesla and the guy suggested changing my Tesl account password (can’t remember why because I ruled it out as a solution and lost interest) Anyway I did as he said and second charge in now and haven’t had an issue since!

Reactions: Dilly
Just registering an account to possibly help others here. See this bit of info buried in the Zappi manuals...

Preconditioning​

This feature has been introduced to cope with a problem charging the Tesla Model-S when the batteries are cold.

The Model S appears to need a lot of power to warm up the battery. If zappi tries to start a charge in ECO/ECO+ at 1.4kW then the Tesla will start to charge but then immediately gives up, tries again after a short pause, gives up, ad infinitum until the Model S gives up with an error message.

To deal with this, we have introduced a new menu option on the “Charge Settings” menu. “Preconditioning” can be set to :

• “Off”: Once zappi detects “Charge Complete”, the next time the EV tries to draw power zappi will revert to the mode set (ie ECO, ECO+ or FAST). If zappi is in ECO+ and there is not enough surplus generation then the charge will pause and zappi will display "Waiting for surplus"

• “On”: You can define how much energy (kWh) zappi should supply to warm up the battery / precondition your EV. Once zappi detects “Charge Complete”, the next time the EV tries to draw power zappi will start a Preconditioning Boost (to the kWh target you have set) and then revert to normal charging, in whatever mode it is set to.
This is a quite a complex workaround to deal with the fact that the Tesla S does not follow the charging standard (IEC 61851-1).

If the battery is cold and you try to start a charge in ECO/ECO+ then the Tesla will start to charge, draw a small amount of power at 1.4kW and then give up. Zappi detects this as “Charge Complete”. When the Tesla then tries to charge again zappi will boost at full power and then continue at the ECO/ECO+ rate set by the zappi.