Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 awd lr only getting 286 miles of range at 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I have finished reading this entire thread and wished to post my experience and some comments.
First, I have a 11/2018 AWD Model 3 and have always used the 18" wheels with the Aero covers. I live on the very mild Central Coast of Calfornia but have taken the car as far as the other side of Missouri and all over the SW US. I have 18K on it right now. I love my car and have a Model Y as well.

That being said, I am deeply disappointed with the ACTUAL as well as calculated and rated range and how it has dramatically dropped off after about 6 months and I am now consistently down to about 277-281 miles. But far more importantly, if I drive a long trip, having charged to 100 percent and then drive at 240-242 Wh/mile I cannot even come close to that range. Please hear me out. I think we all agree the battery is a 75kWh pack with what started out as about 74.5 kWh of usable energy, as measured by multiple people including Tesla Bjorn.
My car was originally rated at 310 miles EPA which means if driven at the rated consumption of 241 Wh/mile and used 100 percent of the energy one should be able to go at least over 300 miles if not 310. This has nothing to do with driving conditions or speed or temp...those are factors in the Wh/mile efficiency but if one massages the drive to achieve the efficiency of 241 Wh/mile, can we all agree that you should get that range with a full charge?

If someone like myself can do a drive at 241 Wh/mile and in real life only go 260 miles (let alone the already degraded BMS predicted 277 miles I mentioned before), then can we agree the battery pack has degraded significantly or has been reserved or changed by Tesla?
No amount of resetting or recalibrating has ever worked for me and it boils down to real, actual range IF one drives the rated efficiency of 241 Wh/mile, which I do routinely.

With that in mind, I am so sick of people telling me to "just change to percentage and forget about it". I assure you that you would not be forgetting about it either if you were stuck between charging stops in the Nevada desert because your car would not even get remotely close to the already reduced range it predicted even though you were driving at close to 240 Wh/mile. NO, in fact there has been a significant number of Model 3 owners who have experienced abnormally high REAL battery degredation or reservation and no longer have anywhere close to the range they were promised even when driving efficiently, no matter what the conditions.

Fellow owners should not criticize or lambast those who truly complain of this if they understand their cars and have done everything they can to achieve that range when it should be there for them. And Tesla needs to also not just blow us off at the service centers and say the "battery is within parameters" It is not within acceptable parameters when you cannot get even close to the rated range when driving at the rated efficiency required to achieve that range.
Definitely sucks. Have you considered getting a SMT reader to see how much usable battery you have?

Wow -

I have got you all beat at 255 on a P3D-! At this point, I’m hoping to loose a few more percent so I can get a new battery

Just a little update. After a few weeks of charging to 90% (instead of 80%) and running the battery down to <10%, the BMS now shows a max of 269 miles. Better than 255 but still pretty awful! I’m about to take a 600 mile road trip that we do a few times a year and this will definitely mean an extra charging stop. Good thing the rest of the car is so awesome, otherwise I might actually be pretty upset!

• Informative
Reactions: Mr Toad and KenC
I was up to 293 at 100% but the last week it’s dropped all the way down to 273-278 miles.

We took a quick road trip and I calculated 66.67 kwh available.

We went exactly 200 miles on 82% charge driving 75-80 mph so in the real world it doesn’t matter much, would just be nice if there wasn’t so much degradation with only 10k miles on the car.

I remember reading somewhere to help recalibrate the BMS, drive car down to 3%, then supercharge it up to 100% and drive again.

Other day, I decided to AC level 2 charge to 100%, the last percent took forever because it kept recalculating the top of the pack. But I had my top end 286 recall to 293 on a stealth.