Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 becoming too expensive for lots of Australian model 3 reservation holders.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the US economy humming along nicely and the expectation the US Reserve bank to raise rates again and again. It’s not looking too good for Australian reservation holders. The Australian dollar is falling by the day vs the US. At the beginning of the year 1 US$ was worth around $0.8 Aus now it’s $0.7. Then you take into account no government incentives plus high taxes it’s not looking pretty here down under. The basic model S with no options is $140000 already(used to be in the 120k range) So for a model 3 awd performance with no options the price could be in excess of $130000 and that’s not talking into account further Aus$ falls. The sad thing is that the other manufacturers prices are not to much impacted by the rising US and will stay cheap while Tesla gets more and more expensive by the day here in Australia compared to its fossil fuel rivals. Today was the first day I questioned my reservation as the value is diminishing. :(

The sad thing is that the other manufacturers prices are not to much impacted by the rising US and will stay cheap while Tesla gets more and more expensive by the day here in Australia compared to its fossil fuel rivals.
I'm not certain other manufacturers can be immune from this forex change either. Just the same way as most of our export contracts are in $USD, and we import oil in $USD despite none of it coming from USA. It's the defacto currency of international trade, so this will be an equally bad story for anything imported.

I'm not certain other manufacturers can be immune from this forex change either. Just the same way as most of our export contracts are in $USD, and we import oil in $USD despite none of it coming from USA. It's the defacto currency of international trade, so this will be an equally bad story for anything imported.
Not many cars sold in Aus are made in the US so most other manufacturers will only have minor prices increases or none at all. The US dollars is strengthening against all major currencies. Oil is traded in US dollars so yes that will increase. We are already having petrol prices of $1.8 per litre which is $4.8US per gallon. The only cars made in the US sold to Aus of by head: the Honda Accord, Toyota Kruger, some GM models and some Merc SUV’s which is only a fraction of the cars sold to AUS.

With the US economy humming along nicely and the expectation the US Reserve bank to raise rates again and again. It’s not looking too good for Australian reservation holders. The Australian dollar is falling by the day vs the US. At the beginning of the year 1 US$ was worth around $0.8 Aus now it’s $0.7. Then you take into account no government incentives plus high taxes it’s not looking pretty here down under. The basic model S with no options is $140000 already(used to be in the 120k range) So for a model 3 awd performance with no options the price could be in excess of $130000 and that’s not talking into account further Aus$ falls. The sad thing is that the other manufacturers prices are not to much impacted by the rising US and will stay cheap while Tesla gets more and more expensive by the day here in Australia compared to its fossil fuel rivals. Today was the first day I questioned my reservation as the value is diminishing. :(
1USD = .8AUD to .7AUD, that would mean Australian dollar is increasing in value compared to USD.

Not many cars sold in Aus are made in the US so most other manufacturers will only have minor prices increases or none at all. The US dollars is strengthening against all major currencies. Oil is traded in US dollars so yes that will increase. We are already having petrol prices of $1.8 per litre which is $4.8US per gallon. The only cars made in the US sold to Aus of by head: the Honda Accord, Toyota Kruger, some GM models and some Merc SUV’s which is only a fraction of the cars sold to AUS.
We're all keen to see where the price lands for sure, but there are lots of factors at play. I'm not sure M3 will be affordable when I finally get the email either, but if Tesla's maths don't stack up I won't be buying a fossilburner. I've already pulled a circuit into my garage...my next car will run on electrons regardless.

Reactions: jkirkwood001

was literally wondering about this yesterday. Petrol has gotten really expensive in Aus over the last year. We are slowly approaching european prices.

Start a Tesla limo service or taxi company. Use Tesla to make money. There is at least one company doing it.
Put together some sharing plan with a few friends and just own a "share" of a Tesla you can rent when needed.
Come on. You can figure it out if you really want to.