Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Blackvue 750 2ch DIY install with Constant 12V power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without the Power Magic Pro, and hard-wiring directly to battery, could this be used instead? Would its inline fuse be okay? I assume that's what the black thing is on the red wire?

If not, could this be used instead then connect the cig lighter plug into it?

Yes, Both options would work and in fact I probably would have used the "NOCO GC018 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal". The only problem I see is the cable is too short from the 12 volt battery end and the cigarette adapter on the Dashcam will not fit through the rubber plug on the Model 3 (unless you thread it from the dashcam end, which means pulling the entire length of the cable through the rubber plug). In the future, I think I will use the link you suggested and get a little smarter with cable management.

Thanks a TON!

Yes, Both options would work and in fact I probably would have used the "NOCO GC018 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal". The only problem I see is the cable is too short from the 12 volt battery end and the cigarette adapter on the Dashcam will not fit through the rubber plug on the Model 3 (unless you thread it from the dashcam end, which means pulling the entire length of the cable through the rubber plug).
Thanks a TON!

No prob! I appreciate you taking the plunge and sharing all this info with us, especially with detailed pics.

In the future, I think I will use the link you suggested and get a little smarter with cable management.

Does the future include 2-3 weeks from now when you do mine for a nominal fee? I'm in VA as well ;)

For those of you who are used to working on the S/X, the 3 is a different animal.

First, the 3 has no fuse box or fuses, everything is electronic circuit breakers, therefore you cannot patch into a fuse box for power.

Second, the 3's monitoring system is apparently auditing power and energy usage from the battery. It seems that connecting anything directly to the battery terminals bypasses this energy auditing and will eventually trip a 12V battery replacement warning. Some people have found this out the hard way over in the Model 3 dashcam thread.

The currently only known way to prevent the 12V battery warnings is to not wire anything directly to the battery. Since 12V constant power has not been reliably found in the 3 (everything appears to be switched 12V power), the recommended method at this time is to wire in the BlackVue Power Magic Pro battery pack (or equivalent from other manufacturers) to switched 12V power, and then wire the dashcam off of that. This is the way mine is done in my 3.

No issues. In fact I re-did the install again and installed a 10 amp fuse just to be safe. Tesla looked at my setup and confirmed all is well.
I'm interested in doing your method and was wondering how long have you had this setup working for?
Also can you please tell me what the cutoff voltage you set on the PMP wired directly to the 12v battery and how often you drive? Have you left it for a longer period where it hit the voltage cutoff and still not have issues? Some have reported even directly connected to the battery no issues for a while but then get the service error. Thanks!