Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Charges as fast as a P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC people,

George Bower here. I have been lurking and reading here for quite a while but have not posted. I write occasional article over at InsideEVs and was considering one on this subject but I need a second opinion.

Here's my logic. See if you guys can find an error in it.

Thanks.

Big battery Model 3 specs:
Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
Tesla Model 3 Specs: 220-310 Miles Range, 0-60 MPH in 5.1 Seconds - More Details

P100D charges to 50% in 30 minutes:

Range of Model S 100D is 334 miles
Order a Model S

50% of 334 miles is 167 miles.

Basically the same as adverised rate for model 3 of 170 miles in 30 minutes

Make sense?????

Hello TMC people,

George Bower here. I have been lurking and reading here for quite a while but have not posted. I write occasional article over at InsideEVs and was considering one on this subject but I need a second opinion.

Thanks.

Tesla Model 3 Specs: 220-310 Miles Range, 0-60 MPH in 5.1 Seconds - More Details

Order a Model S

Make sense?????
Here's a quote from the Q2 2017 call.
Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

It's about the same. It's comparable to the high-end S. The recharge rate of how many miles per hour you recharge is sort of a function of the battery pack size. So, like a 100 kilowatt-hour pack, because charge rate is a function of percentage of pack – think of 3 and a high end S as being similar in charge rates.
And over time, we want to keep moving that rate up...
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Your confirmation is already on the Tesla website.
the press kit says Model 3 LR charges 170 miles in 30 minutes and the charging page (which has been up for a while also lists 170 miles in 30 minutes)

The charging estimator also confirms 170 miles in 30 min on Model S 100D
Model S | Tesla

Last edited:
Hi George,

Welcome to TMC. I have enjoyed reading your articles at GM Volt and Inside EVs. I have been reading all three sites since their inception, and the old Tesla Motors blog posts with comments before that.

Your math makes sense to me. The big 100 kWh battery can charge at higher power, storing more kWh in 30 minutes. However the 75-ish kWh Model 3 can cover more miles per kWh, roughly ballencing out to the same miles range per 30 minute charging session.

GSP

Reactions: landis
Yes, it makes perfectly sense. The video you're posting is a Model X P100D charging. That car with performance motors and the heavy weight consumes about 50% more energy than a long range Model 3. The X P100D is Supercharging at a much faster kW speed than Model 3 LR, but in terms of gained miles per time unit they will be rather equal due to that M3 consumes less Wh/mile.

If you make the comparison against a Model S 100D for instance, that car will charge more miles/hour than the X P100D even though they charge at the same kW speed and have the same 100kW battery pack.

Last edited:
I don't see why a 'P' would charge any differently... I think Elon meant 100 pack vs other smaller ones. Unless someone has details that escape me, what does weight and motor have to do with kW/hour charging speed?
The P100D will charge at the same kWh as S100D but in miles per minute the 100D will be faster than the P100D due to driving efficiency.

The video had P100D but math was based off S100D ... 50% is 50% though.

P100D 157.5 miles (160 ish) / 30 min
S100D 167.5 miles (170 ish) / 30 min
Model 3 LR 170 miles / 30 min as reported by Tesla
Model 3 SR 130 miles / 30 min as reported by Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Here's a quote from the Q2 2017 call.

Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Your confirmation is already on the Tesla website.
the press kit says Model 3 LR charges 170 miles in 30 minutes and the charging page (which has been up for a while also lists 170 miles in 30 minutes)

The charging estimator also confirms 170 miles in 30 min on Model S 100D
Model S | Tesla
Thx JeffK. In all my googling I didn't run across the earnings call quote. That quote pretty much synches it. I also saw the charging estimator for Model S that says 170 miles in 30 minutes but I could not find which Model S it was for.

Hi George,

Welcome to TMC. I have enjoyed reading your articles at GM Volt and Inside EVs. I have been reading all three sites since their inception, and the old Tesla Motors blog posts with comments before that.

Your math makes sense to me. The big 100 kWh battery can charge at higher power, storing more kWh in 30 minutes. However the 75-ish kWh Model 3 can cover more miles per kWh, roughly ballencing out to the same miles range per 30 minute charging session.

GSP

Hi GSP. Thx. Of course I remember you from GM-Volt!!

@JeffK

If the Model 3 charges to 50% in 30 minutes and the range is 310 miles then it seems like the specs on Model 3 should say is charges to only 155 miles in 30 minutes (50% of 310=155)........but the spec says 170.

This implies to me that Model 3 charges at a higher C rate than model S. Perhaps that is true since these are different cells (2170 not 18650's).

Do you think Tesla's new 2170's charge at a higher C rate than the 18650's in the P100D?

The P100D will charge at the same kWh as S100D but in miles per minute the 100D will be faster than the P100D due to driving efficiency.

The video had P100D but math was based off S100D ... 50% is 50% though.

P100D 157.5 miles (160 ish) / 30 min
S100D 167.5 miles (170 ish) / 30 min
Model 3 LR 170 miles / 30 min as reported by Tesla
Model 3 SR 130 miles / 30 min as reported by Tesla
Right... so a larger battery will charge more quickly, definitely. The slight change from the higher efficiency is an added bonus, gotcha.

I don't see why a 'P' would charge any differently... I think Elon meant 100 pack vs other smaller ones. Unless someone has details that escape me, what does weight and motor have to do with kW/hour charging speed?
It matters if one is measuring "charging rate" in "rated miles / time", which is part of what the OP is doing. Unless I misread.

Edit: Already covered. Graying myself.

A few folks have mentioned it, but others seem to be talking past it... The greater driving efficiency of the Model 3 allows it to have a lower c-rate and still charge at similar mph.

Although the model 3 charges at 340 MPH (170 * 2), it is only charging at 43 kWh per 30 minutes (170 / 310 * 78 kWh) or 86 kWh per hour = 86 kW. The 100D is 51 kWh per 30 minutes (170 / 334 * 100 kWh) or 102 kWh per hour = 102 kW. So while the MS charges at higher power, the increased efficiency of the Model 3's ultimate consumption of the energy levels the playing field.

• Informative
Reactions: kgclark and widodh
Hello TMC people,

Thanks.

Order a Model S

Make sense?????
Do the different batteries charge at the same rate?

There seems to be some confusion about the meaning of charge rates.

Charging can be measured as:

• Miles/hour (range adding rate)
  • kW (or as some people think of it kWh/hour) the electrical charging rate
  • C-rate (this is about batteries themselves and is measured as kW(from above) / kWh(battery size))

With regard to these 3 charge rates:
M3 SR vs LR vs MS 100D:
Miles/hour: 110 170 170
kW: ~55 ~82 ~105
C-rate: 1.05 1.05 1.05

So:
  • They all have the same C-rate since they are all using Li-ion cells with similar enough chemistry
  • Larger packs therefore can store more energy in the same amount of time (higher power)
  • Cars with equal range can charge at equal rates in miles/hour regardless of pack size.

@JeffK

If the Model 3 charges to 50% in 30 minutes and the range is 310 miles then it seems like the specs on Model 3 should say is charges to only 155 miles in 30 minutes (50% of 310=155)........but the spec says 170.

This implies to me that Model 3 charges at a higher C rate than model S. Perhaps that is true since these are different cells (2170 not 18650's).

Do you think Tesla's new 2170's charge at a higher C rate than the 18650's in the P100D?

I think it's that the 310 miles is sandbagged, so it's the same C rate, and the range is REALLY ~335 miles :)
I think it's this as well... but if it's not and the range really is 310 mi then yes the Model 3 is charging at a slightly higher C-rate for those 30 min.
170*2 / 310 = 1.097 C (averaged over the 30 min)