Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Charges While Driving With $2,500 Solar Trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a lot of surface area for a gust of wind to hit while doing 70+ mph... I would think you would want to build up some even slightly aerodynamic sides to that to stop it from acting like a sail or something. I would think long term camping (or a cabin that doesn’t have power) would be the only use for this. Even then 8 hours a day of peak summer sun on 800 watts worth of panels would only gain you ~6.5kWh in perfect conditions and efficiency. I suspect you’re really only getting like 4kWh a day. I suspect it would make more sense to build a ground mount array at your off grid cabin and not add all that drag to your car on the highway.

Reactions: KenC and Ciaopec
I didnt even click the video, because I think the whole idea of the video is stupid. Videos like this are what many non EV owners think is necessary to own an EV.

Great point - it's amazing to me the false notions many of my coworkers have about EVs in general. The Tesla owning content creators that do incredibly obtuse things with their vehicles only fuel the problem.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, I'm sorry I watched even the minute I did. 800 watts... I mean, I guess if you are going camping for 10 days or more 260 miles from home, probably more like 220 after you add the drag of the trailer, its only a moderately bad idea.

or airports or "free" charging anywhere you don't have access to a plug and concerned about phantom drain

ROI will get better as panels get cheaper/efficient