Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Collision Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it happened.

1631564072315.png

Yesterday my brother got into an accident, borrowing my car.

1631564163186.png

Quote is around 12k-14k to repair.

It was just a minor fender bender but this is what happens when you get hit by a big SUV (hard plastic + metal) from the quarter panel (Metal sheet).

Barely had it for a month.

Called it in to insurance and my rate is going to go up from 200$ a month.
This is the worst and I wasnt the one driving either.
😓😓😓

if anyone have any advice, I am all ears.

Yeah no I don't think that will be enough to cover it.

in your case , i dont think u have any other choices not going with insurance ... because both of cars damaged.

u can think about changing other insurance company after claim.

Yeah I am trying to find out more of what happened. But I will really need to go through insurance with that. Specially with the quotes I am getting.

Damn that sucks

good thing you didn’t wrap the car yet

Why would your insurance go up unless your brother was at partial or full fault…

I think with $12-$14k damage that will be reported on carfax, the cars resale value has tanked too but during this time with used car shortage (relatively new <5 years old), maybe sell it after repair to recover as much value as possible and buy another one and wait for delivery again

Damn that sucks

good thing you didn’t wrap the car yet

Why would your insurance go up unless your brother was at partial or full fault…

I think with $12-$14k damage that will be reported on carfax, the cars resale value has tanked too but during this time with used car shortage (relatively new <5 years old), maybe sell it after repair to recover as much value as possible and buy another one and wait for delivery again
Well I called the police report and they deemed my brother to be at fault so there's that. And he is under my insurance.

Will it be better to just sell the car? How about keeping it? Since I am looking into keeping it for the long run anyway.

Why would your insurance go up? Was your brother found to be at fault?
According to the police report, he is at fault and the cop wouldn't even take a second look at it.

Well I called the police report and they deemed my brother to be at fault so there's that. And he is under my insurance.

Will it be better to just sell the car? How about keeping it? Since I am looking into keeping it for the long run anyway.

According to the police report, he is at fault and the cop wouldn't even take a second look at it.

so dashcam did not detect the impact, looks like it was a bigger hit than a love tap so that’s worrying it didn’t record and save

doesn’t it always loop for 1 hr though so you can review either way?

regarding selling it, u should look it up on Kelly blue book or VMR Canada or Canada drive or Canadian black book and enter in the car details and accident and estimated repair and see what the market value is, if it’s still within a few grand of new, then you have to decide do you want to lose just a few grand now and get a new car or keep it until the depreciation and age does not matter even if it had accident repairs show up on carfax (or 8 year old car with $12k repair isn’t gonna be a big deal vs 3-4 year old car with that much repair)

so dashcam did not detect the impact, looks like it was a bigger hit than a love tap so that’s worrying it didn’t record and save

doesn’t it always loop for 1 hr though so you can review either way?

regarding selling it, u should look it up on Kelly blue book or VMR Canada or Canada drive or Canadian black book and enter in the car details and accident and estimated repair and see what the market value is, if it’s still within a few grand of new, then you have to decide do you want to lose just a few grand now and get a new car or keep it until the depreciation and age does not matter even if it had accident repairs show up on carfax (or 8 year old car with $12k repair isn’t gonna be a big deal vs 3-4 year old car with that much repair)
oh so you are saying, I can lose money now as it will cost me more if I decide to sell the car within the next 3-4 years?
And It's better I just buy a new again?

I just need to know if I really am losing out on it as here are my numbers:

Financed amount is 50,502.07
Used car value via the is around the same price or more.
How do I add in the depreciation of one accident?

its a 2021 and I dont see any 2021 not below 50k.

Might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
oh so you are saying, I can lose money now as it will cost me more if I decide to sell the car within the next 3-4 years?
And It's better I just buy a new again?

I just need to know if I really am losing out on it as here are my numbers:

Financed amount is 50,502.07
Used car value via the is around the same price or more.
How do I add in the depreciation of one accident?

its a 2021 and I dont see any 2021 not below 50k.

Might not be a bad idea.

Hmm since the private value is $50k, you are still out $5k on rthen given your car was $55k ($60k with tax-$5k fed rebate)

the thought is you lose $5k now while used market is still priced high vs potentially losing more in 3-4 years when chips are back in supply and new car inventory has built up again

Depreciation on accidents could be 10-20% from what I read but you can also look up some cars on autotrader and see the delta between same cars/year for ones with and without accident to gauge

Tough call, good luck!

Hmm since the private value is $50k, you are still out $5k on rthen given your car was $55k ($60k with tax-$5k fed rebate)

the thought is you lose $5k now while used market is still priced high vs potentially losing more in 3-4 years when chips are back in supply and new car inventory has built up again

Depreciation on accidents could be 10-20% from what I read but you can also look up some cars on autotrader and see the delta between same cars/year for ones with and without accident to gauge

Tough call, good luck!
I really dont mind keeping the car but I am considering what you said.

What body shop did you bring the car to?

I read for GTA it’s Leon’s or Excellence (2 locations) that area Tesla certified
CSN Avenue is Tesla certified and my insurance prefer them. They did the estimate and will be doing the repair. I tried Velocity in Markham and gave me the same eta (25 days) but CSN Avenue gave me an eta of end of October. I am not stuck trying out all other EVs at rental via EVN Rental.

CSN Avenue is Tesla certified and my insurance prefer them. They did the estimate and will be doing the repair. I tried Velocity in Markham and gave me the same eta (25 days) but CSN Avenue gave me an eta of end of October. I am not stuck trying out all other EVs at rental via EVN Rental.

I would highly recommend Excellence I used the one on Midwest. Terrific job. It’s the only really great experience I have had at any body shop ever.

Reactions: defsam
I would highly recommend Excellence I used the one on Midwest. Terrific job. It’s the only really great experience I have had at any body shop ever.
Too late haha I already left the car at the CSN Avenue location. I am following what my insurance says and records all of it incase they go back on me. They only gave me a 100/day limit on rental so I am being real stickler.

Reactions: 03DSG