Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Damaged Badly During Transport [assigned vin, purchase not completed yet]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all,

I wanted to see if anyone in the community has had this sort of issue. I ordered my model 3 LR in January of 2022 and finally received a VIN last week with a pick up on July 25th, 2022. However, the car was badly damaged during transport and now am being put back in the cue. I was curious to see if anyone had gotten compensation or some sort of reimbursement in a situation like this for my time and the inconvenience this is causing.

I sold my old car last week thinking I’d get my car on the 25th. Tesla contacted me the day before to tell me that the car was badly damaged. I even offered to take another version of the car or any car in their product line should they be available but no dice. Giving them all the flexibility because I need a car to pretty much live and do my job/run my businesses. I would go buy a used car but we all know the prices in the market currently lol. Just seems like financial suicide for a bridge car.

Open to suggestions and ideas!

Attachments

• 152A10CF-C0AA-415C-9543-F047EF8C9F03.jpeg
    152A10CF-C0AA-415C-9543-F047EF8C9F03.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 521
  • I would not accept a repair on that car. You bought "new" and that won't be new anymore.
  • You probably will not be able to get any "compensation" for the delay caused by the accident. At most, you might be able to ask for something intangible (i.e., not a physical asset like better rims or bigger battery) like lifetime premium connectivity.
  • You may be able to get moved up in the delivery queue seeing this problem happened while in transit, through no fault of your own.
  • I would have ensured that I had a means of transportation for a period after receiving my new car since there can be unforeseen problems with any new vehicle, especially since you said that it is used to earn your living.

I wanted to see if anyone in the community has had this sort of issue. I ordered my model 3 LR in January of 2022 and finally received a VIN last week with a pick up on July 25th, 2022. However, the car was badly damaged during transport and now am being put back in the cue. I was curious to see if anyone had gotten compensation or some sort of reimbursement in a situation like this for my time and the inconvenience this is causing.

First of all, sorry to hear about your troubles.
You should not expect to receive any compensation, as the exact delivery date was not part of Tesla's contractual obligation to you, and no penalties were negotiated for delivery outside of a pre-agreed-upon time frame.

There are many commercial contracts where delivery on a pre-agreed-upon date is negotiated in the contract, and any delays incur penalties. Vehicle purchases do not typically fall into this category.

I sold my old car last week thinking I’d get my car on the 25th.

Well, that was a highly optimistic assumption, that turned out to be wrong.
Sorry, but that's on you.

Tesla contacted me the day before to tell me that the car was badly damaged. I even offered to take another version of the car or any car in their product line should they be available but no dice.

Have you searched "existing inventory" portion of Tesla's website?
If not, start here, and see if you find something that you may like (change zip code to look outside your immediate area):

Giving them all the flexibility because I need a car to pretty much live and do my job/run my businesses. I would go buy a used car but we all know the prices in the market currently lol. Just seems like financial suicide for a bridge car.

You could buy a used Tesla?
Or pickup someone's end-of-lease deal from SwapaLease:

First of all, sorry to hear about your troubles.
You should not expect to receive any compensation, as the exact delivery date was not part of Tesla's contractual obligation to you, and no penalties were negotiated for delivery outside of a pre-agreed-upon time frame.

There are many commercial contracts where delivery on a pre-agreed-upon date is negotiated in the contract, and any delays incur penalties. Vehicle purchases do not typically fall into this category.

Well, that was a highly optimistic assumption, that turned out to be wrong.
Sorry, but that's on you.

Have you searched "existing inventory" portion of Tesla's website?
If not, start here, and see if you find something that you may like (change zip code to look outside your immediate area):

You could buy a used Tesla?
Or pickup someone's end-of-lease deal from SwapaLease:
Thanks for the suggestions, I agree, it’s on me. Just looking for ways to mitigate

Reactions: DocHolliday
Looks like the upper deck of the transporter failed and crushed the top of you would have been new M3. Sorry to hear that happen, Tesla was probably not notified till the last minute from the transporter company. Not much you can do, but look for a gap vehicle till a replacement is available.

Were they able to give you a ETA on when you would be getting a replacement vehicle?

Looks like the upper deck of the transporter failed and crushed the top of you would have been new M3. Sorry to hear that happen, Tesla was probably not notified till the last minute from the transporter company. Not much you can do, but look for a gap vehicle till a replacement is available.

Were they able to give you a ETA on when you would be getting a replacement vehicle?
Unfortunately no ETA. They’re still working on releasing the VIN from my account. They don’t want to because they’re afraid it’ll be subject to auto cancellation. We’re sort of in limbo

That may be totalled because of the roof damage.

Usually any significant damage to pillars = total loss since it affects structural integrity.
Yup that’s what they told me as well. I did say I would accept another version/color combo of the model 3 or any other model should it become available. I would be okay with spending money on a car I’m going to keep rather than finding an in between car and being double taxed and getting shafted on the resale considering where the market is headed.

Reactions: Sam1
Hey y’all,

I sold my old car last week thinking I’d get my car on the 25th. Tesla contacted me the day before to tell me that the car was badly damaged. I even offered to take another version of the car or any car in their product line should they be available but no dice. Giving them all the flexibility because I need a car to pretty much live and do my job/run my businesses. I would go buy a used car but we all know the prices in the market currently lol. Just seems like financial suicide for a bridge car.

Open to suggestions and ideas!
This is no different from any other delay. Even if it reached the delivery center undamaged, it may still fail delivery inspection and you would need to be assigned a new VIN (happened to me). There's even cases where with naggy customers, SAs just assign a random delivery date that doesn't happen. Tesla never compensates for lost time, given a guaranteed delivery date is not part of the contract.

They do however put you as first priority for a new VIN (I was assigned a new VIN within days). However, depending on where you are located and how many units are of the same configuration (and maybe some other owner rejected) there may be a transportation delay.

Check with rental car companies who may offer a monthly discounted rate. I use Sixt regularly and they do have a monthly rate that may not be terrible considering you need a car for business use. I lost my last car while in transit due to end of quarter policy causing it to be delivered on the west coast since it would not make it to the east cost before end of quarter. It took a month to get my next delivery appointment so 1 month rental may work for you.