Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Deliveries Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Just a curious thought, as it seems that Tesla is prioritizing all cars with EAP and/or FSD before cars that were optioned without that. This makes some sense as they are higher profit margin vehicles, but, do they leave the factory with these software options in? I would assume that they could activate the software at pretty much any time.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
They manufacture cars in batches.... I would assume that, for example, every Red/Black Interior Performance with Performance Upgrade is part of the same batch. If the buyer ordered EAP or EAP/FSD I would expect that is added once a VIN is matched to their order. The software is probably 100% identical on every car and it’s just a license unlock.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
I'm wondering because people with later order dates of the same colour are getting priority seemingly based on the EAP and FSD.
I am seeing the same pattern. As a day 1 reservation holder, current owner in SoCal, ordered P3D+ w/o EAP on 6/30 is getting no update on my order while others non-reservation holder, non-owner in SoCal ordered in July/Aug with EAP (same color configs) are getting theirs delivered.

• Helpful
Reactions: adys123
I am seeing the same pattern. As a day 1 reservation holder, current owner in SoCal, ordered P3D+ w/o EAP on 6/30 is getting no update on my order while others non-reservation holder, non-owner in SoCal ordered in July/Aug with EAP (same color configs) are getting theirs delivered.
I could see that. After all, they need to burnish the bottom line and EAP/FSD are pure profit.

Reactions: adys123
04/02/16 reservation, 07/10/18 order. P3+ with no EAP. No VIN :( Makes no sense why EAP would affect production though. It's all software.
That's what I was thinking too. Based on the above posters, it seems that the software is activated after the factory. I think that this could be one of those instances where they could follow the reservation and order dates better.

Day 1 reserve before event
Ordered AWD on 6/27/18
Found VIN in August
Got the car in mid August (I pushed back delivery due to a vacation)
Added EAP a couple days before delivery.

No problems, no priorization, etc. car was built in July and got to me in Ohio in August. This was before my sept-nov delivery timeframe.

Delivery takes a lot into play:
When did you reserve/order
What cars are they producing in batches
Where are you picking up vehicle, delivery centers have different amount of vehicles being picked up
Shipping by train and truck, only so many vehicles can be transported at once, so depending on how busy a delivery center is to deliver vehicles, it can take some time to transport the vehicles there.
Delivery centers are different sizes and can deliver different amounts of vehicles
All of the above reasons can impact delivery to each individual person
Etc

04/02/16 reservation, 07/10/18 order. P3+ with no EAP. No VIN :( Makes no sense why EAP would affect production though. It's all software.
Yes, but if someone is waiting for the same car at the same delivery center with EAP and FSD, they can match the car to that buyer for $8k more.

This is probably how it’s going to be until their quarterly balance sheets turn positive and/or supply catches up with demand.

Just for fun thinking some of the easiest options Tesla can do or should do to make many of our Tesla family members (from top down) life easy till the demand and kinks are worked out. It survival is the focus, then many ways it can done and fans will fully support it. Applying "theory of constraints" might solve this challenge for time being I guess.

1. Produce only certain configurations to limit the variation for certain time period.. like P/P+ first in certain colors + EAP/FSD etc. Limit the color choice to popular 2 or 3 at max. Once the demand is met , go to the next variation down the lane or based on supply chain availability.
2. Introduce factory delivery for everyone interested with some logistics support including free super charging for a week to get back home...throw in free factory tour and fans will be happy. not many , will be interested or feasible, so try to ship it for them..
3. Then create 3 or 4 major deliver centers near train locations as "next option" within 200 miles radius with free one way car rental if needed.
4.. I'm sure there could be more creative thoughts .. put it out there to have some fun while going through the pain of endless waiting :)

As I think more, dealing with paper work registration for 48 states might become an issue unless they figure it out somehow.

I am a day 1 reservation holder (in line), current owner and ordered a P3D+ with every option except white interior and still don't have my car so no, EAP/FSD are not major influencers of delivery order.
I’m day 1 also (about a minute after online ordering went live). I have non-P with EAP and FSD. I’m also cash. And I configured 6/26.

Frustrating reading about people with 2017 and even 2018 reservations getting cars. I feel like Tesla’s “algorithm” does not give much weight to reservation or configuration dates.

Reactions: NickHoffmann
Here are the numbers from the order tracking spreadsheet:

Format is <number w. VIN assigned> / <number ordered> (percentage)

AWD: EAP - 175/665 (26%), FSD - 91/294 (31%), None - 55/298 (19%)
P: EAP - 60/201 (30%), FSD - 54/147 (37%), None - 11/45 (24%)

Note that the spreadsheet is not likely to be a truly random sample, so YMMV.

I'd interpret these numbers to mean that there is a slight bias toward higher-margin cars (i.e., FSD and EAP), but that all configurations are being filled.

(Note also the relatively low percentage of orders filled for the AWD variants - you may feel like everybody except you is getting their cars, but there are a lot of people still waiting).

Here are the numbers from the order tracking spreadsheet:

Format is <number w. VIN assigned> / <number ordered> (percentage)

AWD: EAP - 175/665 (26%), FSD - 91/294 (31%), None - 55/298 (19%)
P: EAP - 60/201 (30%), FSD - 54/147 (37%), None - 11/45 (24%)

Note that the spreadsheet is not likely to be a truly random sample, so YMMV.

I'd interpret these numbers to mean that there is a slight bias toward higher-margin cars (i.e., FSD and EAP), but that all configurations are being filled.

(Note also the relatively low percentage of orders filled for the AWD variants - you may feel like everybody except you is getting their cars, but there are a lot of people still waiting).
These stats are really useful and reassuring. Thanks for sharing them!