Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - Delivery delayed because of a damage on the body

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am frustrated and upset to hear just few hours ago before delivery on Feb 19, the reason Tesla explained , while service team was performing a quality assurance check on the vehicle, they have noticed a small chip to the side (driver side front panel) that seemed to have occurred during its transportation here. Tesla is agreed to get this fixed up and need to send the vehicle to the body shop before next scheduled delivery. The delivery date was scheduled on Feb 26, today I have received email saying that the vehicle is still with body shop and will delay further, the new delivery date is now on March 5.
I am bit concern having this issue because to me this is not any more a brand new car that I was expecting as it has now been damaged and been sitting in the body shop for about 2 weeks. Not sure how the quality in the body shop that they need both repair and paint.
Please advice, should I ask for a new vehicle instead of this damaged one? My frustration on top of the issues/delays is that I am receiving a previously damaged car while \i paide full price for a brand new car.

Attached photo of damaged area

Attachments

• Tesla Model3 - damaged.jpg
    Tesla Model3 - damaged.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 394
I am frustrated and upset to hear just few hours ago before delivery on Feb 19, the reason Tesla explained , while service team was performing a quality assurance check on the vehicle, they have noticed a small chip to the side (driver side front panel) that seemed to have occurred during its transportation here.
Tesla is agreed to get this fixed up and need to send the vehicle to the body shop before next scheduled delivery. The delivery date was scheduled on Feb 26, today I have received email saying that the vehicle is still with body shop and will delay further, the new delivery date is now on March 5.
I am bit concern having this issue because to me this is not any more a brand new car that I was expecting as it has now been damaged and been sitting in the body shop for about 2 weeks. Not sure how the quality in the body shop that they need both repair and paint.
Please advice, should I ask for a new vehicle instead of this damaged one? My frustration on top of the issues/delays is that I am receiving a previously damaged car while \i paide full price for a brand new car.
Buyer beware - the photo shows far more than a small chip in the paint as described by Tesla.

That is a dent that formed a sharp crease in the body panel that will be difficult to repair properly.

I would recommend a close inspection of the repaired area before accepting this vehicle. Good luck.

1645925402643.png

This is not uncommon with vehicle transportation. The difference between Tesla vs the incumbents is that Tesla tells you, Ford, GM, Chrysler would not. It'll get fixed, It'll be indistinguishable from the rest of the vehicle.

Exactly right. Vehicles sold as new from all manufacturers routinely have repairs done without informing the buyer. Each state is slightly different on how big the repairs can be before having to notify (if at all) - but things like bumpers, door panels, etc are repaired and resold as new daily. Absolutely every day.

After it's repair like others said just check to make sure the damaged area is repaired to your satisfaction. And yes it happens enough times with other cars too that it's really not a big issue. At least Tesla is up front with it. My Type R had a dent also after it came off trailer at the dealer. They showed me and brought the dent repair person to repair it. Took a while but after they were done and I inspected the area it couldn't be seen or noticed. Good luck and I hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

I am frustrated and upset to hear just few hours ago before delivery on Feb 19, the reason Tesla explained , while service team was performing a quality assurance check on the vehicle, they have noticed a small chip to the side (driver side front panel) that seemed to have occurred during its transportation here. Tesla is agreed to get this fixed up and need to send the vehicle to the body shop before next scheduled delivery. The delivery date was scheduled on Feb 26, today I have received email saying that the vehicle is still with body shop and will delay further, the new delivery date is now on March 5.
How did your situation resolve? I’m in the same jam where they called a day before and are saying damage needs body shop repair to fender. Very frustrated and have payment set and transferred all to now delay a few days to take their repair on a damage or wait who knows how long back for a Model 3 LR. Grrrrr 😡

Exactly right. Vehicles sold as new from all manufacturers routinely have repairs done without informing the buyer. Each state is slightly different on how big the repairs can be before having to notify (if at all) - but things like bumpers, door panels, etc are repaired and resold as new daily. Absolutely every day.
Generally, if the cost of the damage exceeds 6% of the value of the vehicle it must be disclosed.

These types of dents can often be repaired by a paintless dent repair company. I had a dent in the hood of my Q50. The man said it might be difficult because of the sharp crease and that it is an aluminum hood (aluminium for you Brits). When he was done, one hour and $100 later I could not tell the that it had ever ben dented. I challenged several people to find the site of the repair. No one could. My wife's SLK had a lesser dent in the door that she noticed on delivery. Picked it up the following day instead. Looked perfect.

They may do something like that there.