Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 delivery is FUBAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original delivery date was September 19. Just got a message from the delivery scheduler that they can't meet that date. They offered September 24, which I can't do. In fact, as I'll be out of the country for several weeks, the earliest I can take delivery is October 15. Based on the 9/19 delivery date, I had planned and scheduled a whole set of appointments for mods on the car. That's all out the window.

To be blunt I don't set my schedules or live my life to suit Tesla, although one might think that Tesla believes that its customers supplicate at the corporation's feet. Not me. In fact I'm seriously thinking of cancelling the order for the car. I have a Model S and that will do me just fine.

Anyone want a dual motor performance Model 3 with PUP?

My original delivery date was September 19. Just got a message from the delivery scheduler that they can't meet that date. They offered September 24, which I can't do. In fact, as I'll be out of the country for several weeks, the earliest I can take delivery is October 15. Based on the 9/19 delivery date, I had planned and scheduled a whole set of appointments for mods on the car. That's all out the window.

To be blunt I don't set my schedules or live my life to suit Tesla, although one might think that Tesla believes that its customers supplicate at the corporation's feet. Not me. In fact I'm seriously thinking of cancelling the order for the car. I have a Model S and that will do me just fine.

Anyone want a dual motor performance Model 3 with PUP?

Take a day to consider your decision. Stuff happens, it will all work out.

Escalating probably past district to state management level might magically produce a clone of your car or close to it by that 9/19 date. Slim odds, but all it takes is one.

If you can get another 2-3 years out of your S, it might be worth just waiting out the pending FSD emergence and maturation years (2019, 2020, 2021) and then buying a new S after both the interior and exterior refreshes. The P3D will still be an option then probably as well. No pun intended.

Good luck in any case.

Reactions: neroden
Were you picking up in Owings Mills? I'm slated to pick up on the 20th, and am a tad worried they'll not make that deadline.

Yes, Owings Mills. I think you have good reasons to be concerned. They consistently miss delivery dates and deliver too many cars in a sorry state -- banged up, scratches in the paint, large gaps, etc. So check it throughly before you drive it away.

Escalating probably past district to state management level might magically produce a clone of your car or close to it by that 9/19 date. Slim odds, but all it takes is one.

If you can get another 2-3 years out of your S, it might be worth just waiting out the pending FSD emergence and maturation years (2019, 2020, 2021) and then buying a new S after both the interior and exterior refreshes. The P3D will still be an option then probably as well. No pun intended.

Good luck in any case.

Yes, hanging on the S until a new version comes out is what I'm thinking.

Yes, Owings Mills. I think you have good reasons to be concerned. They consistently miss delivery dates and deliver too many cars in a sorry state -- banged up, scratches in the paint, large gaps, etc. So check it throughly before you drive it away.
Did they tell you why they couldn't make the delivery on the 19th? Mine was originally scheduled for the 28th (the IDA called me two weeks ago and said he knew my car was in transit, but didn't know where it was nor when it would arrive, and suggested that we schedule for late in the month), and I spoke with someone at Owings Mills this past Monday who said they looked my car up and saw that it wasn't supposed to arrive until the 20th. Then the next day a scheduler in Vegas email asking if I wanted to move the delivery up to the 20th. The people in the delivery center said they thought the cars came off the rail freight in GA somewhere and transferred to trucks. I wonder if the hurricane will slow things down.

Sorry to hear mate. I don't recommend making any decisions regarding canceling in the heat of the moment. One thing to take into consideration is that the Model 3 Performance is way more nimble (and thus more fun to drive) than a Model S. The visibility out the front windshield is also way better. As a result, I think you will be really happy after getting your Model 3 (despite the delay) and quickly forget about this hiccup. Also, I don't think Tesla takes any customer for granted, even though I understand you might feel that way right now. Unfortunately, given the crazy delivery ramp, it's inevitable hiccups will occur during the process and some customers will be affected. But I don't think one should conclude from that anything about how Tesla views their customers. I wish you well!

Reactions: BestHand
Did they tell you why they couldn't make the delivery on the 19th? Mine was originally scheduled for the 28th (the IDA called me two weeks ago and said he knew my car was in transit, but didn't know where it was nor when it would arrive, and suggested that we schedule for late in the month), and I spoke with someone at Owings Mills this past Monday who said they looked my car up and saw that it wasn't supposed to arrive until the 20th. Then the next day a scheduler in Vegas email asking if I wanted to move the delivery up to the 20th. The people in the delivery center said they thought the cars came off the rail freight in GA somewhere and transferred to trucks. I wonder if the hurricane will slow things down.

I was originally scheduled for the 20th, got moved to the 14th, cancelled on for the 14th, and unless the car shows up today at Owings mills (where they are doing 31 deliveries today, btw), will likely get bumped from Monday too. No one knows where the car is.

• Informative
Mine is sitting in Richmond atm accord to the VIN delivery tracker. Delivery date is Sept. 29th. Glad I didn't organize leave. I knew this end-of-quarter rush was going to be the mother of all delivery rushes - so I'd better prepare for a delay by the looks.

Thanks for all of the suggests and sympathy. I've reached out to my delivery advisor to see what can be done. Will report back when he responds.

Mine is sitting in Richmond atm accord to the VIN delivery tracker. Delivery date is Sept. 29th. Glad I didn't organize leave. I knew this end-of-quarter rush was going to be the mother of all delivery rushes - so I'd better prepare for a delay by the looks.

@MacGeiner: how does the VIN delivery tracker work? I wasn't even such a thing existed.